RAW vs Jpeg (All in one thread)

3 years 4 months ago #700067 by Esseff

Higbee wrote:

RAW files are uncompressed and unprocessed snapshots of all of the detail available to the camera sensor. Because RAW files are unprocessed, they come out looking flat and dark. ... There is a vast difference in the amount of information retained in a RAW file compared to a JPEG as you will soon come to see.

I noticed this when when doing some A/B shots of a guitar headstock. The raw file had 'more' colour (not sure how to word this). It seemed richer. But I also couldn't honestly say one looked better than the other, they just looked different. Zooming in to 100% and there seemed to be a bit more definition in the raw file than the jpg i.e. line edges were better defined. Not massively so, just a bit. Worth pointing out that this thread is 10 years old so maybe some advice given early on needs to be updated? Is it possible that Updated tech and software has closed the gap to a certain degree?

But what do I know, I'm just a beginner.

3 years 4 months ago #700224 by KCook
  • But I also couldn't honestly say one looked better than the other, they just looked different.
The initial RAW rendering seen in an editor depends on the camera profile that the editor is using.  These vary from editor to editor.  Some may nail the JPG look, some may look flatter, some may have more saturation (though this is the rare case).  The point of RAW is not that initial camera profile.  It is what you can do to improve the image beyond the JPG.  No effort, no gain.

Kelly Cook

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

3 years 4 months ago - 3 years 4 months ago #700229 by Nikon Shooter

A RAW data file is an unalterable proprietary format, it is NOT an
image but only data that can be previewed in a dedicated converter
by means of a jpeg temporary file — as on the camera back screen.
It may be compressed losslessly or not.

WHAT IS RECORDED is only chrominance and luminance. The qua-
lity of RAW files depends directly, but not exclusively, on the expo-
sure and the consequent recorded data — in this, the histogram is
one’s best friend.

HOW IT IS RECORDED includes other parameters that will impact
the quality of captures such as WB, focus and DoF, etc. Note that
RAWs have no colour spaces but may be instructed to record in a
biased way.

Given the unalterable nature of RAW files, all tweaks will be saved as
sidecar files that are usually kept in the same folder than the originals
The converted final rendition of a RAW file will apply all the tweaks to
the chosen image format.

Jpg, tif, png, etc  are directly editable images in a pixel editor — some
with layers, different levels of compression, transparency support, etc.

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
3 years 4 months ago #700275 by Esseff

KCook wrote: The initial RAW rendering seen in an editor depends on the camera profile that the editor is using.  These vary from
editor to editor.  Some may nail the JPG look, some may look flatter,
some may have more saturation (though this is the rare case).  The point
of RAW is not that initial camera profile.  It is what you can do to
improve the image beyond the JPG.  No effort, no gain.

Nikon Shooter wrote: 
A RAW data file is an unalterable proprietary format, it is NOT an
image but only data that can be previewed in a dedicated converter
by means of a jpeg temporary file — as on the camera back screen.
It may be compressed losslessly or not.

WHAT IS RECORDED is only chrominance and luminance. The qua-
lity of RAW files depends directly, but not exclusively, on the expo-
sure and the consequent recorded data — in this, the histogram is
one’s best friend.

HOW IT IS RECORDED includes other parameters that will impact
the quality of captures such as WB, focus and DoF, etc. Note that
RAWs have no colour spaces but may be instructed to record in a
biased way.

Given the unalterable nature of RAW files, all tweaks will be saved as
sidecar files that are usually kept in the same folder than the originals
The converted final rendition of a RAW file will apply all the tweaks to
the chosen image format.

Jpg, tif, png, etc  are directly editable images in a pixel editor — some
with layers, different levels of compression, transparency support, etc.

Great explanations. My photography skills are pretty undeveloped as I never really bothered to learn the ins and outs. I spent the weekend taking raw photos and realised while viewing them later on that the extra info also highlights the flaws and my lack of skill. Jpg photos seemed to smooth things over a bit. Time to start practicing the basics... :unsure:

The following user(s) said Thank You: KCook

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024

The Canon 1DX Mark III is a big, burly professional camera packed with top-end features. Is it worth the investment in 2024? Find out in this detailed review!

Mar 04, 2024

In the OM-1 vs OM-5 debate, which camera comes out on top? Though they’re different cameras for different purposes, comparing them head to head clarifies which is best for your needs.

Mar 01, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Time management is a critical skill to master when you’re a photographer. But how do you get the most out of the limited time you have? Check out this guide to learn a few tricks!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Opening a photography business means undertaking various photography marketing strategies to promote your work. But you don’t want to do the same old thing - try these unique ideas!

Mar 22, 2024

The Canon EOS 80D might be a few years old, but it’s nevertheless a quality camera to invest in as a beginner or enthusiast looking for a mid-range DSLR with tons of lens options.

Mar 22, 2024

Wedding consultations are a critical part of a wedding photography gig. It’s when you learn about the couple and their wants, and present them with how you will meet those desires.

Mar 22, 2024

If you're looking for the best metal print of 2023, you'll find it from Artbeat Studios. After months of testing, Artbeat Studios beat out the competition!

Mar 21, 2024

Getting the best video shots on your camera or smartphone requires you to understand the fundamentals of composition and video editing. It helps to have the appropriate gear, too!

Mar 20, 2024

It’s easy to lose your inspiration behind the lens, especially as a beginner. These creative photography projects can help inspire you to try new techniques and improve your photos.

Mar 20, 2024