RAW vs Jpeg (All in one thread)

13 years 3 months ago #13393 by Stealthy Ninja
Which is why KR is banned from doing it.
13 years 3 months ago #13400 by scarman1313
Hey as long as you are banning people from taking photos in the raw I should be banned to because I have no belly button.

13 years 3 months ago #14215 by johnroberts
Another advantage of shooting in RAw is that you can convert to both 8-bit or 16-bit TIFF files. They're larger than the standard *.jpgs, but they can be compressed and uncompressed without any data loss.

13 years 3 months ago #14291 by Yasko
LOL I know is Ken Rockwell is a well respected guy, especially among Nikon snobs, but had no idea he missed the mark so much in the RAW vrs. JPEG department. Fro's a trip isn't he? I'm checking out his site right now, it's great. Thanks for posting Stealthy

13 years 3 months ago #14312 by Scotty

Yasko wrote: LOL I know is Ken Rockwell is a well respected guy, especially among Nikon snobs, but had no idea he missed the mark so much in the RAW vrs. JPEG department. Fro's a trip isn't he? I'm checking out his site right now, it's great. Thanks for posting Stealthy

He's honestly not that respected. I'm not trying to be mean, but that guy makes money off sensationalism.

When the last candle has been blown out
and the last glass of champagne has been drunk
All that you are left with are the memories and the images-David Cooke.

Photo Comments
13 years 3 months ago - 13 years 3 months ago #14314 by Stealthy Ninja

Yasko wrote: LOL I know is Ken Rockwell is a well respected guy, especially among Nikon snobs, but had no idea he missed the mark so much in the RAW vrs. JPEG department. Fro's a trip isn't he? I'm checking out his site right now, it's great. Thanks for posting Stealthy

Yeh that guy (the dude with the Fro) is pretty funny and makes more sense than KR.

Scotty wrote: He's honestly not that respected. I'm not trying to be mean, but that guy makes money off sensationalism.

QTF

He's basically a master of Google.

It's only nikon noobs that like him to be honest.
13 years 3 months ago #14316 by Scotty
I'm sure he's a really nice guy. I'm just talking about his views on photography. He's off a lot on photography.

When the last candle has been blown out
and the last glass of champagne has been drunk
All that you are left with are the memories and the images-David Cooke.

Photo Comments
13 years 3 months ago #14330 by Litebox Fotos
I hear Ken Rocwell is a practicing thespian.

12 years 10 months ago #67179 by Cruso
I am sure this question has been asked before, but I am just curious as to what the difference and benefits of shooting RAW vs. shooting JPEG is?

12 years 10 months ago #67181 by slytoon
Jpeg-

- Sharper image than RAW
- Compressed on camera
- Higher in contrast than RAW
- Smaller file size than RAW

RAW-

- Not as sharp
- lower contrast
- higher in dynamic range than jpeg

12 years 10 months ago #67183 by senmar
RAW: more exposure latitude in post processing, can change white balance at a whim later on, but takes up more disk space and is proprietary

JPEG: universal image format, compression used properly is usually unnoticeable, smaller file size, but has less exposure latitude and the white balance isn't explicitly adjustable

I usually shoot JPEG unless I'm unsure of the white balance or I know I'll need to underexpose and pull out details later on.

12 years 10 months ago #67187 by McBeth Photography
I actually went back to shooting jpeg a couple of months ago for no other reason than time. Working full-time and attending night school left me with no choice. For me, jpeg is faster and I spend a lot less time in post. The most important tricks to using jpeg are getting the white balance right and nailing the exposure. I will go back to shooting RAW (my preference) after I finish night school, but right now jpeg is ok.

It is what it is.
12 years 10 months ago - 12 years 10 months ago #67221 by Stealthy Ninja
You're right, this has been discussed ad nauseum.

Search the forum, you'll find the answer. ;)
12 years 10 months ago #67291 by Cruso

Stealthy Ninja wrote: You're right, this has been discussed ad nauseum.

Thanks, but I already got my answer. :) And sometimes us newbies rather just ask the question instead of searching. The question is already in our head, so we like to get out asap.

12 years 10 months ago #67309 by Stealthy Ninja

Cruso wrote:

Stealthy Ninja wrote: You're right, this has been discussed ad nauseum.

Thanks, but I already got my answer. :) And sometimes us newbies rather just ask the question instead of searching. The question is already in our head, so we like to get out asap.

Google is your friend. ;)
:whistle:

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024

Self-critique is an important component of your journey to improving as a photographer. Use these simple tips about critiquing your work as a means to make faster progress with your art.

Apr 08, 2024