RAW vs Jpeg (All in one thread)

8 years 11 months ago #434331 by PhotoViking
Lots of interesting, and humorous,  arguments here...... :lol:

Personally I jumped from jpeg to raw app. 9 months ago as I wanted to have all options on editing.
If somebody is fairly new to this they might want tor try it out first without spending lots of $ / € on software, As a long time "freeware" user (including OS: Ubuntu / Linux) I've found the following combination to be ideal for my purposes:

After transferring the files to my computer I will start of with RawTherapee ( rawtherapee.com/blog/features ).
Editing / adjusting - and then I store the files as TIFF.

Further editing / adjusting of the TIFF - Files can now be done using GIMP ( www.gimp.org/ ).

Both RawTherapee and GIMP will work with Windows, Mac and Linux and could provide an opportunity to enter into RAW processing without investing lots of $$ / €€ :)

The RAW files remain and later on I still have the option of going back and start all over again, all options still at hand.

Festina lente!
Photo Comments
8 years 4 months ago #460106 by Stic
I think all camera retailers should be bound by law to tell customers to enable Raw + JPEG when they first purchase their equipment. With most cameras now able to shoot a reasonable burst (even in R+J) and large capacity/fast cards, it's a no brainer...he he...

Photo Comments
7 years 8 months ago #488889 by ad.diff
I moved to jpeg a couple of years ago. This is a great solution for pro wedgging photographers. Now we save up to 30% time to process a shooting. If your jpeg is quite well straight from the camera you don't need to shoot raw waisting time for slower selection and convertion. But sure you must shoot good jpeg for that. I used to set manual settings on my Canon to get a good jpeg, but now it's much easiers with Fuji (you can see actual exposure and white balance right before take a  shoot)

7 years 4 months ago #503349 by genarografia
Correct me if I'm wrong, but it's all about how much info (color and whatnot) you can process with each file type. Raw has a lot more power for that.

7 years 3 weeks ago #518429 by Film Lover
Just shoot film.

6 years 8 months ago #534566 by Rebel guy
Hi i`m the new guy and this is my first post :lol:

I started shooting RAW & jpeg a while back but honestly i don`t even know which one i am playing around with in lightroom. After uploading images to my computer and viewing them in the folder, i noticed there is an option to have  my pc display the pic in either jpeg or raw...well it`s actually called "CR2" and takes up around 5 times more mb space. Looks like it automatically displays the images in jpeg on my laptop. When changing this setting i notice the picture changing as well. When importing picture files to Lightroom i don`t really know if the imported picture is a RAW file or just a j.peg. I am contemplating just shooting in RAW unless there is some very good grounds to keep shooting in raw&jpeg that i am not aware of. Maybe it`s easier to turn of the  jpeg in my case as i`m not that experienced yet.

6 years 3 months ago #555667 by geniereddick
In a nutshell, RAW gives you the most "dynamic range" when editing an image. You get more info in the highlights and shadows to manipulate the image. You can save images that might be over or underexposed. There's more color info. The problem is clearly the large file sizes, but I think the benefit of RAW certainly out weights the con.

I did a quick YouTube search about why RAW and came across this one that I thought explains it pretty well:

5 years 9 months ago #586341 by Don Fischer
I tried shooting RAW one. What I discovered was that programs to process them are way over my head, never able to do even one thing with any program. Now all I do is jpeg, process in Picasa 3 and call it good! What the heck, I'm never gonna shoot a $100,000 picture anyway!

5 years 9 months ago #589016 by Land
RAW is preferred compared to JPEG because RAW files have much more details than JPEG files. Lightroom, Photoshop can be used to edit RAW images. ... JPEG files are smaller in size but they are not as good as RAW in terms of quality.

5 years 8 months ago #590425 by Higbee

RAW files are uncompressed and unprocessed snapshots of all of the detail available to the camera sensor. Because RAW files are unprocessed, they come out looking flat and dark. ... There is a vast difference in the amount of information retained in a RAW file compared to a JPEG as you will soon come to see.

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Esseff
5 years 8 months ago #592414 by Aeros
Do you remember PC v Mac?:duel:

Photo Comments
5 years 8 months ago #592795 by saponcpa
Thank you very much for your priceless feedback. When converting any camera raw file into Tiff or PSD, the original color effect of an image usually changes. Do you have any special suggestion in this regard please! I use Photoshop CS6. Thank you in advance.

The following user(s) said Thank You: NewavaMike
5 years 6 months ago #605145 by Schacht
First post and I know this is an old thread, but I never bothered with Jpg until going to Fuji. I really like the presets that Fuji bakes in. Even with the LR profiles that are supposed to match the in camera jpgs, it's not quite the same. So yes, I shoot RAW and jpg together. 

5 years 6 months ago #605169 by NewavaMike
Such great information !! Thanks for this thread !! I never thought about that before

Photo Comments
5 years 6 months ago - 5 years 6 months ago #605772 by bogwalker

Aeros wrote: Do you remember PC v Mac?:duel:

Hah.  I remember Apple II vs. TRS-80, and then vi vs. emacs.  Probably more relevant here: Beta vs VHS.
What's most common is not necessarily the best.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024

The Canon 1DX Mark III is a big, burly professional camera packed with top-end features. Is it worth the investment in 2024? Find out in this detailed review!

Mar 04, 2024

In the OM-1 vs OM-5 debate, which camera comes out on top? Though they’re different cameras for different purposes, comparing them head to head clarifies which is best for your needs.

Mar 01, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Time management is a critical skill to master when you’re a photographer. But how do you get the most out of the limited time you have? Check out this guide to learn a few tricks!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Opening a photography business means undertaking various photography marketing strategies to promote your work. But you don’t want to do the same old thing - try these unique ideas!

Mar 22, 2024

The Canon EOS 80D might be a few years old, but it’s nevertheless a quality camera to invest in as a beginner or enthusiast looking for a mid-range DSLR with tons of lens options.

Mar 22, 2024

Wedding consultations are a critical part of a wedding photography gig. It’s when you learn about the couple and their wants, and present them with how you will meet those desires.

Mar 22, 2024

If you're looking for the best metal print of 2023, you'll find it from Artbeat Studios. After months of testing, Artbeat Studios beat out the competition!

Mar 21, 2024

Getting the best video shots on your camera or smartphone requires you to understand the fundamentals of composition and video editing. It helps to have the appropriate gear, too!

Mar 20, 2024

It’s easy to lose your inspiration behind the lens, especially as a beginner. These creative photography projects can help inspire you to try new techniques and improve your photos.

Mar 20, 2024