RAW vs Jpeg (All in one thread)

12 years 10 months ago #67317 by Cruso

Stealthy Ninja wrote:

Cruso wrote:

Stealthy Ninja wrote: You're right, this has been discussed ad nauseum.

Search the forum, you'll find the answer. ;)

Thanks, but I already got my answer. :) And sometimes us newbies rather just ask the question instead of searching. The question is already in our head, so we like to get out asap.

Google is your friend. ;)
:whistle:

Yes, but I like to interact with people. :duel:

12 years 10 months ago #67337 by Stealthy Ninja

Cruso wrote:

Stealthy Ninja wrote:

Cruso wrote:

Thanks, but I already got my answer. :) And sometimes us newbies rather just ask the question instead of searching. The question is already in our head, so we like to get out asap.

Facebook is your friend. :thumbsup:
12 years 10 months ago #67351 by Cruso

Stealthy Ninja wrote:

Cruso wrote:

Stealthy Ninja wrote:

Cruso wrote:

Facebook is your friend. :thumbsup:

I like to interact with people of the photography nature....my friends on FB suck. lol

12 years 10 months ago #67561 by chasrich
That's it! I'm removing you as my FB friend. There! Now it sucks a little less... :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

“Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light, I just make pictures… ” ~ Vernon Trent
12 years 10 months ago - 12 years 10 months ago #67685 by Baydream
Folks are a little touchy tonight. Is it that end of the world thing. If so, remember it will happen in the far east early so the rest of us can pack our gear.

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
12 years 10 months ago #67977 by MommaGator
I agree that things seem a little weird. I'm not worried about the world ending today.
It is just hard sometimes to know if a post is serious or just joking around. For example, I can be a cocky and sarcastic person, but people that don't know me probably just think I am a witch. People that really know me, know it is just a personality disorder!! (the disorder thing is a joke by the way) LOL

Back to the topic at hand. I have read pros and cons for shooting in RAW. I suppose that is to be expected as we all have different preferences in life. I'm not experienced enough to have a real opinion as to which is best between RAW and JPEG.
12 years 10 months ago #67981 by Arts
Well I am still learning, but I only shoot in jpeg and probably will never touch raw.

12 years 10 months ago #68013 by KCook
With my el cheapo monitor I have a hard time seeing any difference at all between JPG and RAW. But I still shoot RAW. On the theory that "some day" I will upgrade to a PP platform good enough to appreciate the difference. So you could say my RAW path is faith based. Izzit 6PM yet?

Kelly

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

12 years 10 months ago - 12 years 10 months ago #68867 by Stealthy Ninja

Baydream wrote: Folks are a little touchy tonight. Is it that end of the world thing. If so, remember it will happen in the far east early so the rest of us can pack our gear.

FB and Google are your friends.

MommaGator wrote: It is just hard sometimes to know if a post is serious or just joking around.

I was completely 10000000% serious in every single way. I always am... see:

LOL how anyone could think I'm being serious when I say:
XYZ is your friend. over and over I don't know.

To the OP. You did a great job not getting mad, I was trying pretty hard. :whistle:

Baydream wrote: Folks are a little touchy tonight. Is it that end of the world thing. If so, remember it will happen in the far east early so the rest of us can pack our gear.

Dude, if the world's blowing up, why bother packing your gear?! :huh:
12 years 10 months ago #68869 by MLKstudios
Once you become accustomed to editing in RAW, it becomes much, much faster than JPEG editing. I couldn't imagine doing a 1000 images in JPEG. It's a breeze in RAW.

Matthew

PS No real damage to the original, plus it's good to archive in DNG (Adobe's RAW format).

Matthew L Kees
MLK Studios Photography School
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]
"Every artist, was once an amateur"

12 years 10 months ago #68977 by Stealthy Ninja

MLKstudios wrote: Once you become accustomed to editing in RAW, it becomes much, much faster than JPEG editing. I couldn't imagine doing a 1000 images in JPEG. It's a breeze in RAW.

Matthew

PS No real damage to the original, plus it's good to archive in DNG (Adobe's RAW format).

Correct. Listen to this guy! :thumbsup:
12 years 10 months ago - 12 years 10 months ago #69119 by Henry Peach
Jpeg = processing by prediction with the manufacturer provided in-camera processing software.

Raw = processing by inspection with the processing software of your choice.

Digital photos start out raw, and if displayed on the web or having prints made they probably end up as jpegs, so raw and jpeg are both steps in the creation of a digital photograph. The dial on the camera just sets where the processing is done and what tools the photographer gets to use to do it.

The premise that raw is better than jpeg is based on the idea that a human brain with some practice, combined with a calibrated monitor and decent processing software, can probably do a better job than the in-camera processing software does.

Stealthy: You must be bored, man. If you don't want to hear the same old questions don't hang in the beginners forum, because I guarantee there are only about six different questions that get asked. ;)
12 years 8 months ago #113757 by Dori
I have read endlessly and can't see why RAW is superior to JPG. I tried RAW with Gimp but all it did was convert the photo to JPG for editing. What am I missing. (Besides the obvious :lol: )

Don't pi$$ me off, I am running out of room to store the bodies...

Resident Texasotan...

12 years 8 months ago #113759 by Baydream
Raw will not stay RAW after editing. Save a copy of your RAW file in another folder. Then, once you start editing, save interim files in something like TIFF (you won't loose additional data with each save). Once you are ready to publish or print, then save as jpeg.
The RAW file is your negative.

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
The following user(s) said Thank You: Esseff
12 years 8 months ago #113765 by Dori
:thumbsup: Thanks, your last sentence explained it!!

Don't pi$$ me off, I am running out of room to store the bodies...

Resident Texasotan...

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024

Self-critique is an important component of your journey to improving as a photographer. Use these simple tips about critiquing your work as a means to make faster progress with your art.

Apr 08, 2024

With these easy iPhone photography tips, you can maximize the functionality of your iPhone’s camera and get much-improved results for portraits, landscapes, and any other genre!

Apr 05, 2024

A small camera backpack is the perfect vessel for carrying your photography kit. The problem is there’s so many to choose from! Use this guide for details on three top choices.

Apr 04, 2024

In the great Canon R6 vs R6 Mark II, which one is best? Is it the original, groundbreaking R6 or the mildly updated and newer R6 Mark II? Let’s dive in and find out!

Apr 03, 2024