RAW vs Jpeg (All in one thread)

12 years 9 months ago #113824 by Nikonjan
RAW allows you to adjust color temp. if you got it wrong in jpeg. There is more data/info to work with in RAW, Jpeg's break down everytime you open and close the files and print etc. Didn't you get Capture NX with your Nikon? I don't use mine because I have Photoshop CS4. I use Adobe Bridge to do my adjustments so when I save it has the NEF file next to the psd.file from photoshop, then I save as a jpeg and change my Adobe 1998 colorspace to sRGB for the web. You can read articles about RAW on the internet and probably here.

www.betterphoto.com?nikonjan
12 years 9 months ago #114056 by Henry Peach
Raw is all the ingredients before the mixing and cooking gets done.

Jpeg is some, not all, of the ingredients, and they have already been mixed and cooked.

The reason raw is said to be better is because it is assumed that with some practice you could become a much better cook than the software in the camera.
12 years 9 months ago #114086 by Shadowfixer1
All the reasons given are correct. I think one other and a very important reason is "highlight recovery". Once it's a jpg, that additional information is gone. You can usually pull in additional detail with highlight recovery when it would just be blown out if you only shot jpg.
12 years 9 months ago #114096 by Dori
Thanks much for your replies!!

Don't pi$$ me off, I am running out of room to store the bodies...

Resident Texasotan...

12 years 9 months ago #114104 by cod

Henry Peach wrote: The reason raw is said to be better is because it is assumed that with some practice you could become a much better cook than the software in the camera.

Great analogy! I'll have to remember that one.

Chris O'Donoghue
Winnipeg, Canada
codonoghue.prosite.com

12 years 9 months ago #114105 by Jeanie in the lens

Dori wrote: I have read endlessly and can't see why RAW is superior to JPG. I tried RAW with Gimp but all it did was convert the photo to JPG for editing. What am I missing. (Besides the obvious :lol: )

For me, jpeg is superior to raw, because I don't shoot raw. In the end, I think it's up to the individual if they find, raw, jpeg or even tiff to be superior to one another.

12 years 9 months ago #114127 by Shadowfixer1

Jeanie in the lens wrote:

Dori wrote: I have read endlessly and can't see why RAW is superior to JPG. I tried RAW with Gimp but all it did was convert the photo to JPG for editing. What am I missing. (Besides the obvious :lol: )

For me, jpeg is superior to raw, because I don't shoot raw. In the end, I think it's up to the individual if they find, raw, jpeg or even tiff to be superior to one another.

That's not finding what is superior. That's finding what you are comfortable using. That is two very different things. RAW is superior, it just may not be what you are comfortable using.
12 years 9 months ago - 12 years 9 months ago #114136 by Henry Peach

Jeanie in the lens wrote: For me, jpeg is superior to raw, because I don't shoot raw. In the end, I think it's up to the individual if they find, raw, jpeg or even tiff to be superior to one another.

:agree:

All digital photos start out as raw data. Almost all end up as jpegs for display and printing. There is no Raw vs Jpeg. Both are normal steps in the creation of a digital photograph. What we are discussing here is processing, and it's up to the individual photographer to assess what processing techniques help them get the best results.

Saying that raw is better than jpeg isn't much different than saying the Zone System + print film + darkroom is better than shooting slides + automatic E-6 machine. That may be the photographer's personal preference, but history shows us both are viable workflows.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Esseff
12 years 9 months ago #114591 by Stealthy Ninja

I see a problem here. It seems gimp isn't giving you the controls you need.

If you use a PC you should get this:
ufraw.sourceforge.net/

It will let you open RAW in gimp (I suppose).

I highly recommend you get Adobe Lightroom. It will give you some nice basic RAW controls without the expense of Photoshop. It's also a good file organiser too.

If your program is just converting it to jpeg to edit, then there's really no point of using RAW unless you're planning on getting PS or Lightroom or Aperture (Mac) at a later date to be able to get the most out of RAW.
12 years 9 months ago #114593 by Stealthy Ninja

Jeanie in the lens wrote: For me, jpeg is superior to raw, because I don't shoot raw. In the end, I think it's up to the individual if they find, raw, jpeg or even tiff to be superior to one another.

I guess you have your reasons for shooting jpeg.

But IMHO you might be doing yourself a disservice. If you find later you want to switch to RAW then all your old files won't have the same flexibility that RAW gives you. You might kick yourself later.

I know this from experience. I took a bunch of pictures at an event for my work (back when I didn't know about/understand why I needed RAW). The pictures are all really warm (they looked ok to me at the time, but I didn't know any better).

Now I want to go back and fix the white balance, but I can't do it effectively because they're all in Jpeg and I don't have any RAW files.

Just food for thought.
12 years 9 months ago #114639 by Henry Peach
I'm playing the devil's advocate here. I shoot raw 100% of the time - even family snaps, for all the reasons mentioned. But I know there are folks who don't do processing, and still do a good job. In the last 123 years very few photographers took control of their own processing. George Eastman came up with machines to do the developing and printing right after film took off. Except for high school and college photo classes not many amateurs or pros were working in the darkroom. Today there are more photographers taking control of their own processing than ever, but some folks still find it tedious.
12 years 9 months ago - 12 years 9 months ago #114659 by Stealthy Ninja

Henry Peach wrote: I'm playing the devil's advocate here. I shoot raw 100% of the time - even family snaps, for all the reasons mentioned. But I know there are folks who don't do processing, and still do a good job. In the last 123 years very few photographers took control of their own processing. George Eastman came up with machines to do the developing and printing right after film took off. Except for high school and college photo classes not many amateurs or pros were working in the darkroom. Today there are more photographers taking control of their own processing than ever, but some folks still find it tedious.

All true and I agree. Except to me (and this is JMHO) programs like LR take away most of the troubles with "processing" RAW.

Then again, to get the most out of LR you need to know how to set up the default to look the best when importing RAW files. (Hint, hit ALT/Opinion when in Develop mode and "reset" will change to "Set Default". Allowing you to have that setting dialed in for each newly imported RAW file.

:)

To get the most from RAW you need to understand these things:
1. How to read a Histogram (and a bit about dynamic range).
2. Sharpening (and sharpening masking)
3. Colour correction (white balance)
4. Noise Reduction (and how it interacts with sharpening).

I think that's about it. There's also curves/levels and some other things, but if you understand the 4 things above you're on your way.
12 years 9 months ago #114665 by Shadowfixer1
I thought the discussion was about whether RAW is superior to jpg or not. Can you get great images by just shooting JPG. Of course you can, but that doesn't mean it's superior. You can get a good image with a disposable camera if you know what you are doing. Does that make it superior to the latest and greatest. I don't think so.
12 years 9 months ago #114794 by Henry Peach
In that case a 16x20 view camera and sheet film is superior to it all. Yet millions of photographers make a different choice.
12 years 9 months ago #114795 by Stealthy Ninja

Henry Peach wrote: In that case a 16x20 view camera and sheet film is superior to it all. Yet millions of photographers make a different choice.

Not hand held in low light it aint :P

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024