RAW vs Jpeg (All in one thread)

12 years 8 months ago #124704 by Pettigrew
RAW here, my point and shoot camera is taking photos in JPG

Canon EOS 7D SLR | XT W/18-55 Kit Lens | Canon 50mm 1.8 | Tamron 17-50mm 2.8 | Canon 28-105mm | Canon 75-300mm | Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro | Canon 100-400
Photo Comments
12 years 8 months ago - 12 years 8 months ago #124710 by Henry Peach
I shoot raw only, because I'm not a fan of the in-camera processing provided with the cameras I use.

The advantage of raw is that I get to take control of the processing with the tools and techniques I choose. I get to start with all the information the sensor captured, and can go back to the beginning or any step and start over at any time. With a calibrated monitor I get to adjust processing by eye.

The advantage of jpeg is that it's fast and convenient.

It's a similar choice as people make when they drop their film off at the photo lab or go into a darkroom and do it themselves.
12 years 8 months ago #124775 by Sha Nea
OK I just find it to be a little rude. A few people mention "we have covered this topic". So what. Cover it again. More and more people are becoming members to this site, some people are newbies to photography. Some people never shot raw nor understand it. So help the person out, instead of stating...we talked about raw vs jpeg.

I for one shoot raw, I love how I can create the photo in PP.

The following user(s) said Thank You: PhotoViking
12 years 8 months ago #124884 by Scotty

Sha Nea wrote: OK I just find it to be a little rude. A few people mention "we have covered this topic". So what. Cover it again. More and more people are becoming members to this site, some people are newbies to photography. Some people never shot raw nor understand it. So help the person out, instead of stating...we talked about raw vs jpeg.

I for one shoot raw, I love how I can create the photo in PP.

We're in the process of merging some of those threads and there will be links. We strongly encourage for people to use the search feature as well.

Thanks for your input!

When the last candle has been blown out
and the last glass of champagne has been drunk
All that you are left with are the memories and the images-David Cooke.

Photo Comments
12 years 8 months ago #125163 by luckywish1
do you think it is ok for me to take picture in raw now with my canon rebel t2i? the last few months i have been taking pictures with Jpeg but i would like to take some picture of raw but i dont know if im ready yet?

12 years 8 months ago #125178 by KCook
If your software is ready for RAW, then you are ready for RAW. Lame software can force an early conversion from RAW to TIFF. And TIFF does work. But at that point JPG might be less hassle than the RAW - TIFF - JPG daisy chain. Different strokes for different folks.

Kelly Cook

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

12 years 8 months ago #127969 by effron

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
12 years 6 months ago #151209 by orion
I was wondering, I use a Nikon D90 and shoot in jpeg fine and then do any processing in photoshop.

What are the advantages in shooting in Raw? And when would you?

Silly question?

12 years 6 months ago #151231 by Dori
Look Here You will find lots of info!

No, not a silly question!

Don't pi$$ me off, I am running out of room to store the bodies...

Resident Texasotan...

The following user(s) said Thank You: orion
12 years 6 months ago #151249 by geoffellis
Personally, I shoot RAW+Fine Jpeg on my D80. To date i really havent touched the raw files... but i figure one day ill master the art of post processing and figure i can go back and do it better later.

It does mean organizing 2 files on your drive... and it will take up 3x as much diskspace... but nowadays diskspace is cheap. a portable 1TB HDD is only like 100$ now lol - And that can realistically hold about 60,000 photos shot in RAW and Jpeg (I just did the math based on an average file size of 11MB for RAW, 4MB for Jpeg, and removed space on the drive for formatting lol)
12 years 6 months ago #151251 by photobod
A raw file contains all the data you need to change almost anything about your photograph such as the white balance plus lots more, it gives you a much larger range to work with, as a jpeg is far more limited.
Shoot in raw only, save a copy of those raw files to an external hard drive that way no matter what happens you will always have the originals if something horrible goes wrong with your processing, then work on your raw files until you have what you want and save it as a jpeg then.
If you shoot in raw plus jpeg you will need a lot of card space.

www.dcimages.org.uk
"A good photograph is one that communicate a fact, touches the heart, leaves the viewer a changed person for having seen it. It is, in a word, effective." - Irving Penn

12 years 6 months ago #151325 by LauraD
Initially, I was pretty intimidated by shooting in RAW ...I have only recently started shooting in RAW and have found that it really is not that difficult to work with in processing and it gives me a lot more control over how I process my photographs ....if you are using PS or Lightroom there are some really good books on how to do it.

I am a serious hobbyist and I am constantly trying to challenge myself with new and interesting shots. My photography can also be viewed here:
lauradphotography.zenfolio.com/
laura-daddona.artistwebsites.com/
LauraD.imagekind.com

12 years 6 months ago #151554 by effron

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
12 years 6 months ago #151560 by Stealthy Ninja
I'm combining this thread to the other massive RAW (vs Jpeg) thread... which is now 4 threads in one.
The following user(s) said Thank You: NewavaMike
12 years 6 months ago #151562 by Stealthy Ninja
Another thread added...

Please visit here before posting a new thread:
www.photographytalk.com/forum/new-to-pho...ting-a-thread#124574

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024