Camera bag: Lens down, to the side, or up?

9 years 6 months ago #153118 by littlebirdie
Always down for me. I saw a buddy of mine who stored his lens up go and grab is camera in a hurry, camera slipped away from him and that was the end of his favorite lens as is crashed onto the street. I almost cried for him. :(

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

9 years 6 months ago #153125 by Baydream

littlebirdie wrote: Always down for me. I saw a buddy of mine who stored his lens up go and grab is camera in a hurry, camera slipped away from him and that was the end of his favorite lens as is crashed onto the street. I almost cried for him. :(

Good warning. They don't put grips on lenses for a reason, eh? Sorry for your friend's loss.

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments

3 years 11 months ago #526997 by Rorence
The camera bag for me is just to include more things. I just bought one bestek camera bag from Amazon. Since it is much cheaper and Good quality. That's all. Hope that point is usefu to you. 

3 years 2 months ago #565427 by johnalex
First of all, let's talk about the way the lens is facing up, in fact, this is a more common way, because the fuselage is wider, the plane of the LCD screen is relatively stable, and will not bring too much oppression to the lens, So many people use this approach. However, it should be noted that, in this way, when the first camera to get access to the camera, so it will take when the lens caused by discomfort, it is hard to say, and the other LCD direct contact with the package At the end, if the bottom is not soft and thick, it will cause damage to the liquid crystal screen, which is worth considering, and this approach is not conducive to rapid capture and timely capture, so most of the time of travel or usually do not have this place.

Another way is the lens down, this approach is exactly the opposite of the previous one, so still have to consider Bu lens force problem, if the lens directly contacts the bottom, supporting a certain weight of the fuselage, over time is bound to be Lens and the fuselage connection caused by excessive force, so individuals do not recommend this approach, but now many of the backpack inside a semicircular or circular support pad, let the fuselage lens empty, not direct contact with the package At the end, such a way to reduce the relative pressure on the lens.

As for horizontal or side-by-side, these two methods are basically the same. The lens is parallel to the bottom of the package, and the body is perpendicular to the bottom of the package. However, since the lens is located in the middle of the camera body, the lens and the package bottom must not be in full contact It will form a point of view, which is back to the above lens body connection force problem, the best way is to add a piece of thick under the lens so that the lens and the body relative to a plane , So relatively speaking is better. If the horizontal and lateral what is the difference, then that is the handle toward Bu, more conducive to remove at any time, timely capture.

• Facebook

802,251 / Likes

• Twitter

205,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

In this Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark III review, learn all about its specs, features, video capabilities, price, and more.

Apr 15, 2021

The Canon PowerShot G7 X II is a few years old now, but does it still hold up as a solid point-and-shoot camera in 2021? Let's find out!

Apr 14, 2021

The Sony a5000 is quite a few years old now, but it still offers specs and features that make it a good entry-level camera.

Apr 07, 2021

In this Panasonic DMC-FZ2500 review, learn about this camera's specs, features, video capabilities, price, and much more.

Apr 06, 2021

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Use this real estate photography pricing guide to help you set your prices and earn a good living as a real estate photography expert.

Apr 15, 2021

In this Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark III review, learn all about its specs, features, video capabilities, price, and more.

Apr 15, 2021

The Canon PowerShot G7 X II is a few years old now, but does it still hold up as a solid point-and-shoot camera in 2021? Let's find out!

Apr 14, 2021

Learn how to expand your photography business with these quick and easy tips for 2021.

Apr 14, 2021

There are many benefits of camera backpacks, especially ones that are built to last. In this camera bag buyer's guide, learn all about the only backpack you need for your gear.

Apr 13, 2021

Is a micro four thirds camera right for you? In this guide, learn the pros and cons of MFT systems so you can make an informed purchase.

Apr 13, 2021

With these photography business tips, you'll learn a few insider secrets for starting a business and more easily maintaining growth over the long-term.

Apr 12, 2021

Artificial lighting vs HDR techniques...it's a long-standing debate for real estate photography. What are the pros and cons of each? Find out in this guide!

Apr 12, 2021