Ethical question: Client left message saying wedding is cancelled. Do I give deposit back?

12 years 7 months ago #138596 by One Wish
She said they are financially in a bad spot right now and will need to pull the plug on the wedding till they have the cash. She said she doesn't know when that might be. I know it's a rough economy out there and really I had no other jobs on their wedding day planned. I'm wondering even though in my contract I clearly say there are no refunds, should I give back deposit? I'm not exactly sitting in a mattress full of money nor a steady flow of work myself. So what would you do if in my position? I have not called her back as I wasn't sure what to say about the deposit.

Thank you for your input.

Photo Comments
12 years 7 months ago #138704 by effron
If you haven't laid out anything and want to keep a good relationship with the client, return the deposit.......;)

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
12 years 7 months ago #138705 by mj~shutterbugg
:agree: You could also offer to hold the deposit towards the future date.

Think Off-Center ~ George Carlin
www.mjbrennanphoto.com

12 years 7 months ago #138709 by Baydream
Tough situation. There is a possibility that she found another photog to do the job cheaper. I know that's thinking the worst but it happens.
Offer to hold the deposit for for future services or allow a "transfer" of the deposit to another couple. That way, she can recover her deposit and you keep a future booking.

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
12 years 7 months ago #138749 by Stanly

Baydream wrote: Tough situation. There is a possibility that she found another photog to do the job cheaper. I know that's thinking the worst but it happens.
Offer to hold the deposit for for future services or allow a "transfer" of the deposit to another couple. That way, she can recover her deposit and you keep a future booking.

:agree: just when you start to feel sympathetic, this thought jumps it mind

Nikon Z6 | Nikon FM10 | Nikon D80 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8D | Nikon 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6 AF-S VR | 35-105mm f/3.5 Macro | 80-200mm f/4.5 | SB600 | Pocket Wizard II
Photo Comments
12 years 7 months ago #138760 by Davedc
I would hold it until after the planned date of the wedding. If the wedding goes on with another photog, then hold them to the contract. If the wedding was indeed cancelled, then return it, because they definitely have problems.

12 years 7 months ago #138768 by Tina Hall
I think that the already suggestions are great . hold it or if you think they'd best benefit refund half & hold the rest ( or a certain percentage ) .

12 years 7 months ago #138772 by Silver Fox
That is a tough one, I'd offer to refund part of it in good faith.

Photo Comments
12 years 7 months ago #138774 by photobod

Baydream wrote: Tough situation. There is a possibility that she found another photog to do the job cheaper. I know that's thinking the worst but it happens.

I agree with John, this is the best scenario, at the end of the day you clearly stated a non returnable deposit so offer the above solution as a way of you bending for the them and being overall mr nice guy.

www.dcimages.org.uk
"A good photograph is one that communicate a fact, touches the heart, leaves the viewer a changed person for having seen it. It is, in a word, effective." - Irving Penn

12 years 7 months ago #138798 by RogerYouncePhotography
If I hadn't done any work yet, return the money. I would ensure I did have some type of contract statement covering such actions concerning refunds and cancellations to cover me in the future.

12 years 7 months ago #138812 by Henry Peach
My contract states the retainer is non-refundable. I would refund any payments made beyond the retainer. My unofficial policy (meaning it's not stated in the contract) is that if/when someone else does book the date I will return the retainer. I would also be willing to apply it towards a future wedding date assuming I am available.

The point of the non-refundable retainer is to make sure people are serious about hiring me. There are only so many Saturdays in the year.
12 years 7 months ago - 12 years 7 months ago #138813 by MLKstudios
Exactly 52, HP. Glad to see you back! Been busy?

Matthew L Kees
MLK Studios Photography School
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]
"Every artist, was once an amateur"

12 years 7 months ago #138819 by baldman11
I agree with Baydream. Unfortunately there is always the possibility that they have found someone to do the cheaper or even free and are feeling a bit of "buyer's remorse". I too can be sympathetic to their situation, but I would state my policy to them and offer to hold the deposit against a future date. If after several months they have not rescheduled (and not gotten married) offer a 50% refund just to maintain the relationship for the future.

12 years 7 months ago - 12 years 7 months ago #138821 by Fotopro
A deposit is taken to secure the date of the wedding, once the booking is made and the deposit taken it is usual for a photog not to take any further work on that day. So, as far as the bride and groom are concerned, you could have turned no end of work away, leaving you short of income for that day. Depending how you feel and also to keep the peace, it is up to you if you wish to return a portion of the deposit, but personaly, I would not.

12 years 7 months ago #138857 by A.Blueyes
Photography is my love, my hobby, but I am an independent sewing educator in my day job. I think the same questions about deposits made can can still apply. ( just my 2 cents worth)
Photography like sewing classess are a luxury and sometimes I think people realize that those monies would be better spent another way or with a cheaper competitor. That said, my time and talent are precious - and I take what I do very seriously. If my students cancel say..the night before or the day of, (yes it happens!) I return no money for obvous reasons. A week or 2 out is still iffy.. at 3 weeks - I feel it becomes the ethical question "for me", I have to eat too, and my bill collectors care less about my own hard times and that is what I keep in mind when making Money Returning Decisions - its a business. . . . . If they are workable, respectable, and considerate of my time and talent then by all means I want to keep them as future students and I can generally come up with a workable solution (win - win) for each of us, by rescheduling, or returning a portion of their money. If its a true hardship situation then I have been known to return it all, in a simple act of good will, and with best wishes that when things get better they give me a call. . . . & most have. Hope this helps.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024