Ethical question: Client left message saying wedding is cancelled. Do I give deposit back?

12 years 7 months ago #138875 by Jim Photo

Fotopro wrote: A deposit is taken to secure the date of the wedding, once the booking is made and the deposit taken it is usual for a photog not to take any further work on that day. So, as far as the bride and groom are concerned, you could have turned no end of work away, leaving you short of income for that day. Depending how you feel and also to keep the peace, it is up to you if you wish to return a portion of the deposit, but personaly, I would not.

:agree:

Photo Comments
11 years 11 months ago #226109 by dukest
Contacts are contracts - Bad things happen everyday , Why should you pay for it. You have no obligation to return it. Don't cheapen yourself and the contract. All that aside do what you think is right.

11 years 11 months ago #226156 by Joe Photo Daddy
I would keep the the retainer too

11 years 11 months ago #226255 by Little Kate
I'd give it back just to keep on their good side for future business

Photo Comments
11 years 10 months ago #230074 by Paris Gal
I'll keep what is outlined in my contract, things happen, but business is business.

5D mark II gripped | Canon 100L | Canon 85 1.8 | Sigma 50 1.4 | Tamron 28-75 2.8 | 580ex II | 430ex II x 2 |
Photo Comments
11 years 7 months ago #248674 by bgbriscoe
That happened to us on New Years Eve. A couple signed a contract and 30 minutes before the wedding the groom came to our residential gallery door and told us he didn't have the money to pay us and that he thought his unemployment would be coming in and didn't and that his parents they were living with had kicked them out. We had changed our plans for this holiday to accomodate their wedding and they cancelled. We had it spelled out in the contract that if the wedding did not go off for what ever reason they would lose their deposit. I did not feel obliged to return their deposit. We already had everything packed and charged and ready to go to the wedding venue, a 5 minute drive away. I didn't and don't feel guilty. Not only did he lie to us telling us he had a job, but we later found out neither bride nor groom was working and found out they didn't own the home the were residing in, but in fact living with his parents.

11 years 7 months ago #248727 by Joves

Davedc wrote: I would hold it until after the planned date of the wedding. If the wedding goes on with another photog, then hold them to the contract. If the wedding was indeed cancelled, then return it, because they definitely have problems.

This would have been my advice. But since I have no doubt that this will come up again I will say this. You have already set aside the time to do the wedding, and have nothing else pressing to keep you from confirming that indeed the wedding was canceled. So to make a fair decision I would have gone to where the event was supposed to happen at the correct time with my camera. If the wedding did go on I would shoot some photos to prove that, this is in case they try to pull you into Small Claims to get their money. You then have protection from them trying to scam you in court. Granted you do have a contract, but visual proof gives you even more power, and may allow you to get the full fee if they did get another photographer, this is due to lost income from the false cancellation.

BTW what did you do?

11 years 7 months ago #248759 by cloudforestshtr2012
I have had this happen only once to me, but I know the feeling of losing a Wedding, and the money, can be very hard to tak, with the other halfe. "If I were you I would call the church where the wedding was to be held, and find out if it is still on their schedule." If it is still there, call the bride/groom up, and tell them you held the date open for them, really wanted to photograph their big day, and you will be willing to return 1/4 of the deposit, with the other 3/4 being held for the future bridal date.
If they start a big stink, run like the devil, because you don't want the headaches later. Tough, but fair!!

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024