Medium format vs full frame camera?

13 years 3 months ago #14303 by Freshstart
Can someone please clarify the difference between a medium format camera and a full frame?

I was just reading another post here about that Phase One 645DF camera which is a "medium format". I have seen this term before, but never really bothered to ask about it.

Thanks for the 411!

Katie

Photo Comments
13 years 3 months ago #14307 by Scotty

Freshstart wrote: Can someone please clarify the difference between a medium format camera and a full frame?

I was just reading another post here about that Phase One 645DF camera which is a "medium format". I have seen this term before, but never really bothered to ask about it.

Thanks for the 411!

Katie

The difference is about 30-40 grand on average.

When the last candle has been blown out
and the last glass of champagne has been drunk
All that you are left with are the memories and the images-David Cooke.

Photo Comments
13 years 3 months ago #14308 by Yasko
Pretty easy, the term "full frame" refers to a digital camera that has the same size sensor as a 35mm film camera. Basically, the same size as a 35mm film negative, which has 36x24mm dimensions.

"Medium Format" is not the same as full frame. Modern medium format cameras have a negative or sensor size that's much bigger, and generally are capable of more detail and tonal range. The most common sizes in medium formats are 6x6cm, 6x7cm, and 6x4.5cm which is what the phase one 645DF has.

13 years 3 months ago #14309 by Yasko
And yeah, way more expensive lol

13 years 3 months ago #14310 by Scotty

Yasko wrote: Pretty easy, the term "full frame" refers to a digital camera that has the same size sensor as a 35mm film camera. Basically, the same size as a 35mm film negative, which has 36x24mm dimensions.

"Medium Format" is not the same as full frame. Modern medium format cameras have a negative or sensor size that's much bigger, and generally are capable of more detail and tonal range. The most common sizes in medium formats are 6x6cm, 6x7cm, and 6x4.5cm which is what the phase one 645DF has.

Correct.

Medium format is usually used in high end commercial work, because the files handle being photoshopped more, and offers more resolution for promotional work. They're honestly a PITA to use though. I prefer 35mm equivalent myself.

When the last candle has been blown out
and the last glass of champagne has been drunk
All that you are left with are the memories and the images-David Cooke.

Photo Comments
13 years 3 months ago #14332 by Litebox Fotos
What's PITA mean?

13 years 3 months ago #14359 by photobod
I own a Bronica etrsi, medium format camera, is it possible to turn it into a digital camera and if so tips please, and yes I know it will be expensive, this is curiosity only, hmmmm I think !!!!!!

www.dcimages.org.uk
"A good photograph is one that communicate a fact, touches the heart, leaves the viewer a changed person for having seen it. It is, in a word, effective." - Irving Penn

13 years 3 months ago #14579 by KenMan

Scotty wrote:

Freshstart wrote: Can someone please clarify the difference between a medium format camera and a full frame?

Thanks for the 411!

Katie

The difference is about 30-40 grand on average.

That's a nice sports car!

Photo Comments
13 years 3 months ago #14581 by KenMan

Litebox Fotos wrote: What's PITA mean?

Pain in the as$

Photo Comments
13 years 3 months ago #14639 by Litebox Fotos

KenMan wrote:

Pain in the as$

What's "as$" mean?

13 years 3 months ago - 13 years 3 months ago #14676 by Yasko

Litebox Fotos wrote:

KenMan wrote:

Pain in the as$

What's "as$" mean?

Ke!ste®, de®®ie®e, or ©aßøøse

13 years 3 months ago #14678 by Joves

photobod wrote: I own a Bronica etrsi, medium format camera, is it possible to turn it into a digital camera and if so tips please, and yes I know it will be expensive, this is curiosity only, hmmmm I think !!!!!!

Im sorry to tell you no. You have to buy bodies that are made to either flip from film backs to digital or, full digitals. The Pextax 645D is the least expensive but one of the best out there, well in my opinion. At $10K it is a bargain in the MF world. Digitalbacks for Hasselblads start at $20K if I remember right.

13 years 3 months ago #15958 by KenMan

Yasko wrote:

Litebox Fotos wrote:

KenMan wrote:

Pain in the as$

What's "as$" mean?

Ke!ste®, de®®ie®e, or ©aßøøse

LOL! Yeah what he said! :lol:

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024