Medium format vs full frame camera?

8 years 6 months ago #14303 by Freshstart
Can someone please clarify the difference between a medium format camera and a full frame?

I was just reading another post here about that Phase One 645DF camera which is a "medium format". I have seen this term before, but never really bothered to ask about it.

Thanks for the 411!

Katie

Photo Comments

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

8 years 6 months ago #14307 by Scotty

Freshstart wrote: Can someone please clarify the difference between a medium format camera and a full frame?

I was just reading another post here about that Phase One 645DF camera which is a "medium format". I have seen this term before, but never really bothered to ask about it.

Thanks for the 411!

Katie

The difference is about 30-40 grand on average.

When the last candle has been blown out
and the last glass of champagne has been drunk
All that you are left with are the memories and the images-David Cooke.

Photo Comments

8 years 6 months ago #14308 by Yasko
Pretty easy, the term "full frame" refers to a digital camera that has the same size sensor as a 35mm film camera. Basically, the same size as a 35mm film negative, which has 36x24mm dimensions.

"Medium Format" is not the same as full frame. Modern medium format cameras have a negative or sensor size that's much bigger, and generally are capable of more detail and tonal range. The most common sizes in medium formats are 6x6cm, 6x7cm, and 6x4.5cm which is what the phase one 645DF has.

8 years 6 months ago #14309 by Yasko
And yeah, way more expensive lol

8 years 6 months ago #14310 by Scotty

Yasko wrote: Pretty easy, the term "full frame" refers to a digital camera that has the same size sensor as a 35mm film camera. Basically, the same size as a 35mm film negative, which has 36x24mm dimensions.

"Medium Format" is not the same as full frame. Modern medium format cameras have a negative or sensor size that's much bigger, and generally are capable of more detail and tonal range. The most common sizes in medium formats are 6x6cm, 6x7cm, and 6x4.5cm which is what the phase one 645DF has.

Correct.

Medium format is usually used in high end commercial work, because the files handle being photoshopped more, and offers more resolution for promotional work. They're honestly a PITA to use though. I prefer 35mm equivalent myself.

When the last candle has been blown out
and the last glass of champagne has been drunk
All that you are left with are the memories and the images-David Cooke.

Photo Comments

8 years 6 months ago #14332 by Litebox Fotos
What's PITA mean?

8 years 6 months ago #14359 by photobod
I own a Bronica etrsi, medium format camera, is it possible to turn it into a digital camera and if so tips please, and yes I know it will be expensive, this is curiosity only, hmmmm I think !!!!!!

www.dcimages.org.uk
"A good photograph is one that communicate a fact, touches the heart, leaves the viewer a changed person for having seen it. It is, in a word, effective." - Irving Penn

8 years 6 months ago #14579 by KenMan

Scotty wrote:

Freshstart wrote: Can someone please clarify the difference between a medium format camera and a full frame?

Thanks for the 411!

Katie

The difference is about 30-40 grand on average.

That's a nice sports car!

Photo Comments

8 years 6 months ago #14581 by KenMan

Litebox Fotos wrote: What's PITA mean?

Pain in the as$

Photo Comments

8 years 6 months ago #14639 by Litebox Fotos

KenMan wrote:

Pain in the as$

What's "as$" mean?

8 years 6 months ago - 8 years 6 months ago #14676 by Yasko

Litebox Fotos wrote:

KenMan wrote:

Pain in the as$

What's "as$" mean?

Ke!ste®, de®®ie®e, or ©aßøøse

8 years 6 months ago #14678 by Joves

photobod wrote: I own a Bronica etrsi, medium format camera, is it possible to turn it into a digital camera and if so tips please, and yes I know it will be expensive, this is curiosity only, hmmmm I think !!!!!!

Im sorry to tell you no. You have to buy bodies that are made to either flip from film backs to digital or, full digitals. The Pextax 645D is the least expensive but one of the best out there, well in my opinion. At $10K it is a bargain in the MF world. Digitalbacks for Hasselblads start at $20K if I remember right.

8 years 6 months ago #15958 by KenMan

Yasko wrote:

Litebox Fotos wrote:

KenMan wrote:

Pain in the as$

What's "as$" mean?

Ke!ste®, de®®ie®e, or ©aßøøse

LOL! Yeah what he said! :lol:

Photo Comments

1.62M

• Facebook

802,251 / Likes

• Twitter

205,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

In this Fujifilm X-A5 review, we take a look at this tiny camera's specs, build quality, and overall performance, as well as investigate its price and where you can it on the cheap.

Jul 16, 2019

The Sony CyberShot DSC RX1R II offers a full frame imaging sensor in a tiny body, but is all the resolution of its sensor worth the terrible battery life?

Jul 12, 2019

In our Canon PowerShot G1 X III review, we examine this powerful little camera's specifications, including its build, ergonomics, and video capabilities.

Jul 08, 2019

In our Canon EOS-1D X Mark II review, learn why this camera is such a good choice for enthusiast and professional photographers looking for still photography and video capabilities.

Jul 05, 2019

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

If you create content with Final Cut Pro X, you can make better videos more quickly with these tools for content creators.

Jul 19, 2019

You can call Brendan Barry obsessed with photography. He is world-renowned for creating cameras out of the craziest objects. His projects mix photography...

Jul 19, 2019

Looking for a camera monitor to assist you with your photography and videography work? Look no further than this list of ten of the best DSLR monitors you can get in 2019.

Jul 18, 2019

Whether it's warm light, cool light, warm white light, cool white light, or something in between, the color temperature of light can have a huge impact on how your images look.

Jul 17, 2019

When it comes to rare camera lenses, which is the best lens ever? Many agree that it's the Konica 57mm f/1.2. See if you agree!

Jul 17, 2019

Screenshot from YouTube video Paradise, California was wrecked by one of the largest wildfires in recent history, and with it, people's lives went up in...

Jul 17, 2019

The Sony a7R IV was just announced to much fanfare, and initial impressions are that this thing is a beast. Check out the Sony a7R IV specs, price, and more.

Jul 16, 2019

Not sure how to keep track of your gear and get it all organized? Give these tips for protecting photography gear a try!

Jul 16, 2019