Medium format vs full frame camera?

8 years 4 months ago #14303 by Freshstart
Can someone please clarify the difference between a medium format camera and a full frame?

I was just reading another post here about that Phase One 645DF camera which is a "medium format". I have seen this term before, but never really bothered to ask about it.

Thanks for the 411!

Katie

Photo Comments

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

8 years 4 months ago #14307 by Scotty

Freshstart wrote: Can someone please clarify the difference between a medium format camera and a full frame?

I was just reading another post here about that Phase One 645DF camera which is a "medium format". I have seen this term before, but never really bothered to ask about it.

Thanks for the 411!

Katie

The difference is about 30-40 grand on average.

When the last candle has been blown out
and the last glass of champagne has been drunk
All that you are left with are the memories and the images-David Cooke.

Photo Comments

8 years 4 months ago #14308 by Yasko
Pretty easy, the term "full frame" refers to a digital camera that has the same size sensor as a 35mm film camera. Basically, the same size as a 35mm film negative, which has 36x24mm dimensions.

"Medium Format" is not the same as full frame. Modern medium format cameras have a negative or sensor size that's much bigger, and generally are capable of more detail and tonal range. The most common sizes in medium formats are 6x6cm, 6x7cm, and 6x4.5cm which is what the phase one 645DF has.

8 years 4 months ago #14309 by Yasko
And yeah, way more expensive lol

8 years 4 months ago #14310 by Scotty

Yasko wrote: Pretty easy, the term "full frame" refers to a digital camera that has the same size sensor as a 35mm film camera. Basically, the same size as a 35mm film negative, which has 36x24mm dimensions.

"Medium Format" is not the same as full frame. Modern medium format cameras have a negative or sensor size that's much bigger, and generally are capable of more detail and tonal range. The most common sizes in medium formats are 6x6cm, 6x7cm, and 6x4.5cm which is what the phase one 645DF has.

Correct.

Medium format is usually used in high end commercial work, because the files handle being photoshopped more, and offers more resolution for promotional work. They're honestly a PITA to use though. I prefer 35mm equivalent myself.

When the last candle has been blown out
and the last glass of champagne has been drunk
All that you are left with are the memories and the images-David Cooke.

Photo Comments

8 years 4 months ago #14332 by Litebox Fotos
What's PITA mean?

8 years 4 months ago #14359 by photobod
I own a Bronica etrsi, medium format camera, is it possible to turn it into a digital camera and if so tips please, and yes I know it will be expensive, this is curiosity only, hmmmm I think !!!!!!

www.dcimages.org.uk
"A good photograph is one that communicate a fact, touches the heart, leaves the viewer a changed person for having seen it. It is, in a word, effective." - Irving Penn

8 years 4 months ago #14579 by KenMan

Scotty wrote:

Freshstart wrote: Can someone please clarify the difference between a medium format camera and a full frame?

Thanks for the 411!

Katie

The difference is about 30-40 grand on average.

That's a nice sports car!

Photo Comments

8 years 4 months ago #14581 by KenMan

Litebox Fotos wrote: What's PITA mean?

Pain in the as$

Photo Comments

8 years 4 months ago #14639 by Litebox Fotos

KenMan wrote:

Pain in the as$

What's "as$" mean?

8 years 4 months ago - 8 years 4 months ago #14676 by Yasko

Litebox Fotos wrote:

KenMan wrote:

Pain in the as$

What's "as$" mean?

Ke!ste®, de®®ie®e, or ©aßøøse

8 years 4 months ago #14678 by Joves

photobod wrote: I own a Bronica etrsi, medium format camera, is it possible to turn it into a digital camera and if so tips please, and yes I know it will be expensive, this is curiosity only, hmmmm I think !!!!!!

Im sorry to tell you no. You have to buy bodies that are made to either flip from film backs to digital or, full digitals. The Pextax 645D is the least expensive but one of the best out there, well in my opinion. At $10K it is a bargain in the MF world. Digitalbacks for Hasselblads start at $20K if I remember right.

8 years 4 months ago #15958 by KenMan

Yasko wrote:

Litebox Fotos wrote:

KenMan wrote:

Pain in the as$

What's "as$" mean?

Ke!ste®, de®®ie®e, or ©aßøøse

LOL! Yeah what he said! :lol:

Photo Comments

1.62M

• Facebook

802,251 / Likes

• Twitter

205,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

In this Panasonic GH5 review, learn if this camera's features for still photography and videography are still top-of-the-class in 2019.

May 15, 2019

In this Sony a7R III vs Panasonic GH5 comparison, we take a look at the sensor, ISO performance, video capabilities, and image stabilization of these cameras, and much more.

May 10, 2019

In this Nikon D3300 review, learn about this entry-level camera's specifications, features, and performance so you can decide if it's the best beginner camera for you.

Apr 30, 2019

The Nikon D3400 is an excellent beginner camera with features that will assist you in taking improved photos. Learn more about this camera in our Nikon D3400 review.

Apr 26, 2019

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Searching for "photography jobs" and "places hiring near me" is not a good enough strategy for how to find photography jobs. In this article, learn where and how to find the job for you.

May 16, 2019

You're probably familiar with famous photographers like Ansel Adams, but do you know the highest paid photographers of all time? Check this list to find out.

May 16, 2019

What are the best used cameras under $100? There are plenty of choices, but the digital cameras under $100 on this list are both capable and well under budget.

May 16, 2019

There are many landscape photography myths and misconceptions that can derail your ability to get the best shots. Learn about common myths to avoid in this quick guide.

May 16, 2019

DJI just did what nobody thought could be done... they released a camera that is a serious contender to put GoPro out of business.   The tiny...

May 15, 2019

What is Magic Lantern? How do you use it? How do you install it? These common Magic Lantern questions are answered in this detailed guide.

May 15, 2019

In this Panasonic GH5 review, learn if this camera's features for still photography and videography are still top-of-the-class in 2019.

May 15, 2019

Learn how to improve your landscape photography with these underrated tips for landscape photography gear, composition for landscapes, color theory, and more.

May 15, 2019