1st Photo Contest

12 years 7 months ago #144019 by Papabear63
ok, the camera club at work is having a photo contest and i have to select 3 pictures to submit for it. your help in choosing and critiques are welcomed.

12 years 7 months ago #144069 by prayer_warriorsx2
I would go with #1, and the nightime city shot (level it first) and the bridge shot (level that one as well)

Fire & Ice Photography
12 years 7 months ago - 12 years 7 months ago #144071 by McBeth Photography
#1 is the best in my mind. :beerbang:

It is what it is.
12 years 7 months ago #144072 by Maria21
My vote is for the guitar, the NYC skyline (I like it as is..the shoreline seems more natural) & the bar (I would up the brightness to bring out more of the midtones)

Zerfing's Photographic Imaging
12 years 7 months ago #144113 by photobod

Maria21 wrote: My vote is for the guitar, the NYC skyline (I like it as is..the shoreline seems more natural) & the bar (I would up the brightness to bring out more of the midtones)

:agree: :agree: :agree: clean up the guitar as well it is very dusty. good luck. :judge: :judge: :judge:

www.dcimages.org.uk
"A good photograph is one that communicate a fact, touches the heart, leaves the viewer a changed person for having seen it. It is, in a word, effective." - Irving Penn

12 years 7 months ago - 12 years 7 months ago #144128 by Baydream
I go for #1 , the bridge (straighten) and the sailboat (recrop to get better comp).

DO they have categories or just "open" entries?

Oh, and big hint. Really work on titles. A clever title can add "points" to a photo. Seen it numerous times in competitions.

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
12 years 7 months ago #144135 by chasrich
#1 seems to be the strongest entry. The tilt on half the boat shots is a nautical problem that I have faced and tried to correct while composing. The waterline horizon will give you away every time if it's not the vertical reflection in the water. I use those keys to help the camera find level - that and Dramamine... :rofl:

Let us know how you do in the contest.

“Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light, I just make pictures… ” ~ Vernon Trent
12 years 7 months ago #144136 by butterflygirl921
#1 and the city shot just straighten it out

12 years 7 months ago #144139 by Gower
I go with the jet ski one. It's a good action picture. Although everyone is choosing 1, I can't as I am not crazy about B&W pics.

12 years 7 months ago #145388 by Moose 5
Hey, let us know how the contest went.

I like 1, 5 and 6

12 years 7 months ago #145399 by Mike Davis
No. 1 is the strongest shot I think but the cityscape may have a broader appeal to the judges just needs a little straightening that's IMHO. Good luck with the contest.

12 years 7 months ago #145400 by robbie
#1..guitar but toned down the whites...the piece of clothing is pulling your eyes out of the image,ditto the white strip of the guitar...the white 'star' knob ...
The sailboat it will be.
The skier if you have one with him not so close the edge of the frame...no space for him to ski into.
Goodluck.

12 years 7 months ago - 12 years 7 months ago #145414 by Papabear63

robbie wrote: #1..guitar but toned down the whites...the piece of clothing is pulling your eyes out of the image,ditto the white strip of the guitar...the white 'star' knob ...
The sailboat it will be.
The skier if you have one with him not so close the edge of the frame...no space for him to ski into.
Goodluck.

thanks Robbie,
well i had cropped out the back of the boat and the motor of the boat i was on to get that shot, both were blurry in the picture. i was surprised the pictures came out that good truthfully.
I was planning on try to re-shoot the first picture again after I clean the guitar up some, i didnt realized it was that dirty until afterwards :rofl: however you mentioned toning down the whites...how???

12 years 7 months ago #145417 by Papabear63
Thanks all for your comments and critiques, i have to submit them by the 30th so i have a week to get corrections done. i shall let you know how it all turns out as soon as I do.

12 years 7 months ago - 12 years 7 months ago #145421 by robbie

Papabear63 wrote:

robbie wrote: #1..guitar but toned down the whites...the piece of clothing is pulling your eyes out of the image,ditto the white strip of the guitar...the white 'star' knob ...
The sailboat it will be.
Goodluck.

thanks Robbie,
well i had cropped out the back of the boat and the motor of the boat i was on to get that shot, both were blurry in the picture. i was surprised the pictures came out that good truthfully.
I was planning on try to re-shoot the first picture again after I clean the guitar up some, i didnt realized it was that dirty until afterwards :rofl: however you mentioned toning down the whites...how???

Very easy...select it and tone it down...brightness/contrast....do each separately but since you are going to reshoot it you might choose not to wear white.
Tried it but doesn`t stand the scrutiny...try different flash positions and distance.I know you will get it.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024