Are you a pro photographer?

12 years 7 months ago #145159 by Rascal07
Well let me say I am a photographer not a a pro. I don't get paid I don't think I am good enough to get paid. But I am learning. I love to take pictures have since I was like 8 years old. I go to the beach just to take pics of the sand the water lighthouses. Not to lay in the sun. I go to the mountains to see the wildlife the trees waterfalls. Sun rise and set the same for the moon. My mom said how many pictures do you need of the Blue Ridge Parkway . It is the same year after year. Nope mom it is not it is always changing just as I have grown up. There is always something diffrent in every picture . Sorry if this is lame so some or at least thats what my teenager say.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frank Piercy
12 years 7 months ago #145160 by Frank Piercy
Amateur....Hobbyist...... such a thin line. I have taken a few classes, I have some talent (at least so I am told, if I believe them is something all together different) passion. Ah sweet passion.....the drive that makes me get out of bed at 3 am on a saturday when I dont have to work, to drive at least an hour to spot where I will sit for hours hoping for a cool as hell bird or animal walk past by me. My wife says it is craziness and/or idiocy that makes me set the alarm for 3 am on sat when I could be sleeping.......I may not be a pro, but I have passion....might not have the talent but I have the passion, and I take umbrage with the thought because I am not pro I do not have passion

12 years 7 months ago #145209 by scarman1313
A combo of tech knowledge, composition skills and ability to deliver what the client wants. Personally I think that what sets most pros apart from hobbyists is the time management component. A pro has to deliver by a deadline or risk not being paid & risking the reputation being tarnished. An amateur doesn't need to worry about those things

12 years 7 months ago #145226 by himanshu
Agree Ninja,

I often buy pictures and I do not see if the picture is by some one Pro/ Amateur/ Hobbyist. Good picture is Good Picture. Value of a picture is not real value, but a perceived value.

This title, "PRO" are necessary when we wish to project a commercial aspect of what we do and not necessarily being "PRO" or claiming to be "PRO" can be directly linked with quality. I am pretty sure all "Pro" Photographers have done crappy jobs more than once.

I click because shutter sound gives me goose bums. Call me Amateur or Professional, all the same as far as buyer is happy.

12 years 7 months ago #145228 by Robynaudrey
That's the plan for me. I agree that it is so much more than making money from your images though. It is a professionalism running though your work and interactions too.:)

12 years 7 months ago #145241 by Stealthy Ninja

Robynaudrey wrote: It is a professionalism running though your work and interactions too.:)

Yes and it's nice to hear feedback like this (from an email I got today):
"Thanks for your incredible courtesy and co-operation!
Thanks again to the excellent service provided by you."

12 years 7 months ago #145257 by MeganPearson

mamielong wrote: I think a hobbist is a person that lacks skill and passion. I Love what I do and I love doing it. Im am a pro and I have seen many hobbist try try to go pro and not really have the passion and skill as a pro. I have taken maybe photography classes and even won some awards and even published. I think that makes a pro different than a hobbist.

Really? I don't consider myself a "pro". I don't make the majority of my income from my photography. I too have been published and am extremely passionate about this craft. I've also seen many "pro's" out there that don't have passion and skill, they just want another dollar. I don't lump all the professional's into that category, so please don't do the same to us.

12 years 7 months ago #145268 by Katahdin
At this point in time I may be a hobbyist, but I like to think that I am thinking and taking photographs as a professional.

12 years 7 months ago #145274 by Carmin
I am a hobbyist. I enjoy shooting and have no plans on making $.

12 years 7 months ago #145284 by hconfer
Yes, my husband assumes because he bought my equipment, I can just run out there and start making money. I believe my skills are improving, and I have been paid for a few of my prints, I don't think this in any way makes me a "pro". Would I love to make money from my photographs on a regular basis, you bet, the last thing I want to lose is the spark that I feel as I go out to shoot as a hobbyist.
So your question leaves me to wonder, are you speaking about being a pro because you're earning money, or are you a pro because of your skill level (as mentioned by someone else). In either case, I'm definitely not pro.

12 years 7 months ago #145329 by Homer
Isn't this a loaded question :rofl:

I'm good behind the camera, but will stay humble and just say I'm good and pro to me is someone like Ansel Adams.

12 years 7 months ago #145337 by butterflygirl921
:agree: it is a loaded question and no one can really answer it because what is a pro someone who makes money and thats it? there is more to being a pro then just making money its also about knowledge of the field and the equipment.

12 years 7 months ago #145410 by robbie

MeganPearson wrote:

mamielong wrote: I think a hobbist is a person that lacks skill and passion. I Love what I do and I love doing it. Im am a pro and I have seen many hobbist try try to go pro and not really have the passion and skill as a pro. I have taken maybe photography classes and even won some awards and even published. I think that makes a pro different than a hobbist.

Really? I don't consider myself a "pro". I don't make the majority of my income from my photography. I too have been published and am extremely passionate about this craft. I've also seen many "pro's" out there that don't have passion and skill, they just want another dollar. I don't lump all the professional's into that category, so please don't do the same to us.

My sentiments exactly,agree with 100%.Been published means squat to me because i`ve seen Infrared images posted in the top magazines that I would delete as 'not good enough'.My Ir friends images are superior too.I`m not a 'pro' but my passion and my skill while it`s good needs to get better.

12 years 7 months ago #145631 by Chipper

himanshu wrote: Agree Ninja,

I often buy pictures and I do not see if the picture is by some one Pro/ Amateur/ Hobbyist. Good picture is Good Picture. Value of a picture is not real value, but a perceived value.

This title, "PRO" are necessary when we wish to project a commercial aspect of what we do and not necessarily being "PRO" or claiming to be "PRO" can be directly linked with quality. I am pretty sure all "Pro" Photographers have done crappy jobs more than once.

I click because shutter sound gives me goose bums. Call me Amateur or Professional, all the same as far as buyer is happy.

:agree:

12 years 7 months ago #145643 by Joves
Well I have been doing it as a hobby for many years.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024