Photographers justified rule breakers and above everyone else?

12 years 5 months ago #167519 by skiss75
Goldminer- I say we need to make sure we all know the rules so that there are no issues. I am an architect and photographer. I have taken pictures of police stations for projects and I had three officers in front of me before I even took the first picture! HAHA I explained my reason and they took my name, phone number and business card and left me alone.
If you are not trespassing, in most places you can take pictures on public property. For me, I try to follow the rules as much as possible. Asking permission can also get you more access at times, so sometimes it pays to follow the rules.

12 years 5 months ago #167537 by blindsidephoto
i don't think breaking rules is "OK" exactly, but sometimes, to get that shot that nobody else has, its something that has to be done, i try not to if i know im not supposed to, but i have been known to break the rules

www.facebook.com/blindsidephoto

check it out and share it with your friends if you like it :)

12 years 5 months ago - 12 years 5 months ago #167552 by Stealthy Ninja
OK rule breaking: Pushing to the front of the P&S rabble to get your shot
Not OK rule breaking: Taking "artistic nudes" in the female changing room at the local pool.

Just for interests sake, did this thread get posted on Facebook or something? It's really old and there's some new poster posting (nothing wrong with that, I encourage it) I'm just wondering how it got resurrected.
12 years 5 months ago #167560 by skiss75
Here it is... Ethically...you do not have permission to use your illegal picture. It is not yours to use. You did not get permission to obtain it. So, congrats for breaking the rules, but good luck if someone doesn't want you to use it for any commercial purposes (unless you all are just taking pictures for an awesome photo album at home).
I will state it again, staying within the law is the only way to go. As a artist, we live within design guidelines. We learn the rules and we learn which ones are bendable. I have learned early on that this one is not bendable for my business.

The following user(s) said Thank You: icepics
12 years 5 months ago #167781 by db
Part of being a GREAT photographer is to get a good shot while following the rules just like being a good driver requires following the traffic laws. How can a photographer 'pride' him or herself with a shot that was obtained by breaking rules other's are following. We live in an "entitled" society where many feel they should be able to break the rules because they are "them". Celeb photographers have broken the rules to the point of killing princesses. Ethics in photography are just as important as ethics in live. Show me a photographer 'rule breaker' and I expect to see an unethical personality that will break whatever rules necessary to get what they selfishly want. This will not be popular but think about it... why should anyone break the rules... the rules were set for good reasons by authorities and should be observed.

The following user(s) said Thank You: skiss75
12 years 5 months ago #167807 by Rob pix4u2
there are rules and then there are " rules" that are more suggestions than laws. There are rules for your safety and those should be strictly followed. Asking permission to go onto private property should be done out of respect but if you can get the shot from public access then so much the better.. The Arena that I shoot games at does not allow "professional " cameras but lots of people bring cameras and shoot away from next to the plexiglass while I must have a Press Pass to bring my gear in.. Is it that those folks are bending the rules by bringing in DSLR cameras rather than point & shoot ?

Remember to engage brain before putting mouth in gear
Rob Huelsman Sr.
My Facebook www.facebook.com/ImaginACTIONPhotography

Attachments:
12 years 5 months ago #167814 by mj~shutterbugg
I am not a rule breaker, I tend to follow the rules as well as common courtesy when shooting public places and faces. In fact- I refrain from street photography as I fear getting jumped by some peeved person. I sometimes see things I would love to photograph, but in person I get scared and stay on public land to avoid issues.

Think Off-Center ~ George Carlin
www.mjbrennanphoto.com

12 years 5 months ago #167995 by icepics
Good point Rob, there are laws and then there are 'guidelines' at places like arenas. I've found that it works for me to ask, sometimes there is some flexibility within the guidelines. If not then it's a matter of figuring out another way to get the shot. Maybe photographers are naturally curious...

Sharon
Photo Comments
12 years 5 months ago #168000 by icepics
[quote="Stealthy Ninja" post Just for interests sake, did this thread get posted on Facebook or something? It's really old and there's some new poster posting (nothing wrong with that, I encourage it) I'm just wondering how it got resurrected.[/quote]

YES - it very likely got posted on Facebook. This has come up a couple of times, one of the agents should let PT admin know. Someone already posted a week or two ago that they had a photo stolen, although I don't know if it was due to the FB connection or not.

PT has an app on FB that posts hourly - it links to articles on the site, our conversations on the messge board, and periodically posts someone's photo. Without being logged in to PT or to FB, from the PT Facebook page I was able to access the message board as well as photos being posted. I don't think PT's intention is for people's photos to be taken but once they're posted on FB, they're unprotected.

Sharon
Photo Comments
12 years 5 months ago #168138 by Stealthy Ninja

icepics wrote:

Stealthy Ninja wrote: Just for interests sake, did this thread get posted on Facebook or something? It's really old and there's some new poster posting (nothing wrong with that, I encourage it) I'm just wondering how it got resurrected.

YES - it very likely got posted on Facebook. This has come up a couple of times, one of the agents should let PT admin know. Someone already posted a week or two ago that they had a photo stolen, although I don't know if it was due to the FB connection or not.

PT has an app on FB that posts hourly - it links to articles on the site, our conversations on the messge board, and periodically posts someone's photo. Without being logged in to PT or to FB, from the PT Facebook page I was able to access the message board as well as photos being posted. I don't think PT's intention is for people's photos to be taken but once they're posted on FB, they're unprotected.

Interesting, is this also the reason why they seem to be posting spiels on the subject with no recognition of other people's posts (no offense to people posting, just asking)?
12 years 5 months ago #168260 by Scott Grant

[email protected] wrote: Part of being a GREAT photographer is to get a good shot while following the rules just like being a good driver requires following the traffic laws. How can a photographer 'pride' him or herself with a shot that was obtained by breaking rules other's are following. We live in an "entitled" society where many feel they should be able to break the rules because they are "them". Celeb photographers have broken the rules to the point of killing princesses. Ethics in photography are just as important as ethics in live. Show me a photographer 'rule breaker' and I expect to see an unethical personality that will break whatever rules necessary to get what they selfishly want. This will not be popular but think about it... why should anyone break the rules... the rules were set for good reasons by authorities and should be observed.

:agree: :goodpost:

12 years 5 months ago #168351 by skiss75
I would say the difference is if the person plans to use the image for commercial purposes they should have permission from the arena. If you are going to post it on FB and tell everyone what a great time you had, it doesnt need the Arena's permission...

12 years 5 months ago #170346 by The Time Capturer

Stealthy Ninja wrote:

icepics wrote:

Stealthy Ninja wrote: Just for interests sake, did this thread get posted on Facebook or something? It's really old and there's some new poster posting (nothing wrong with that, I encourage it) I'm just wondering how it got resurrected.

Interesting, is this also the reason why they seem to be posting spiels on the subject with no recognition of other people's posts (no offense to people posting, just asking)?

Would just like to add that when someone comes to PT from a Facebook link, they can view the images and forum posts but must log in in order to comment. Put simply, anyone commenting already has a PT account.

Sure, practice makes perfect but, unless you learn from your mistakes, you are only perfecting your ability to fail.
11 years 10 months ago #230189 by RodgerThePhotographer
I believe its called "The Rule of Law" and it is a fundamental principle of Liberty. Its called having respect for your Country. I understand we're loosing more and more of that as our Immaculate Deception keeps bowing to foreign powers and p*^&$$% in the wheaties of our allies, but that doesn't mean I have too. If you don't mind not having Liberty then just keep breaking the rules.

11 years 10 months ago #230198 by Scotty

RodgerThePhotographer wrote: I believe its called "The Rule of Law" and it is a fundamental principle of Liberty. Its called having respect for your Country. I understand we're loosing more and more of that as our Immaculate Deception keeps bowing to foreign powers and p*^&$$% in the wheaties of our allies, but that doesn't mean I have too. If you don't mind not having Liberty then just keep breaking the rules.

When the last candle has been blown out
and the last glass of champagne has been drunk
All that you are left with are the memories and the images-David Cooke.

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024