Macro photography advice with water drop reflection

12 years 6 months ago #154419 by Addicted2Photos
Have you seen those super close up shots of a water drop on a leaf and you can see a crystal clear reflection through the water droplet? How in the world are people doing this? I was trying earlier with a spray bottle of water and 105mm and I couldn't get anything that looked good.

What are people using to get that close?

This is what I was trying to do:

Michaelmas daisy dewdrop refraction #4 / Brian Valentine

Photo Comments
Attachments:
12 years 6 months ago #154436 by Happy-pixel
You could always try the shot with extension tubes, make sure there is NO wind. Some people might focus stake something like this also.

Photo Comments
12 years 6 months ago #154455 by effron
Here are Brian's tutorials............
www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=143373

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
12 years 6 months ago #154526 by sd51hy
That is an awesome image. :judge: I have no idea how it's done, but would be nice to shoot like that.

12 years 6 months ago #154700 by Number 7
Amazing work

Photo Comments
12 years 6 months ago #155391 by Janos
Im motivated to try this now, good post topic

Photo Comments
12 years 6 months ago #155495 by Hoss
Now that is what I call motivation!

Photo Comments
12 years 6 months ago #155499 by wedding 2015

Janos wrote: Im motivated to try this now, good post topic

:agree: Except all the flowers near me are dead. :(

12 years 5 months ago #158549 by Addicted2Photos

effron wrote: Here are Brian's tutorials............
www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=143373

Thanks for posting this, I have been reading and working on my macro shots.

Anyone know would a 150 or 200mm lens be considered for macro use still?

Photo Comments
12 years 5 months ago #158664 by John Landolfi
C:\Documents and Settings\John\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\NQ94HOR3\latest-pt-albums[1]
Aroon Kalandy, a PT member, has mastered the technique, and has been willing to discuss it. You will be hard put to find better examples.
www.photographytalk.com/photo-galleries/...c=viewphoto&id=95313

Photo Comments
12 years 5 months ago #158743 by Joves
If you want to produce water drops like that clinging to a plant or whatever then use an eyedropper. Get a drop just large enough to not fall off and put it on. Sometimes it will stay and sometimes not but eventually you will get it to stick. Also instead of water you could try using glycerine, it is clear but much thicker.

12 years 5 months ago #158766 by Maria21
I do love the posted image & would love to be able to do it, but when flowers are dead, can't this be created in photoshop? Just food for thought.....

Zerfing's Photographic Imaging
12 years 5 months ago #158776 by TheNissanMan

Joves wrote: If you want to produce water drops like that clinging to a plant or whatever then use an eyedropper. Get a drop just large enough to not fall off and put it on. Sometimes it will stay and sometimes not but eventually you will get it to stick. Also instead of water you could try using glycerine, it is clear but much thicker.

Great idea :)

12 years 5 months ago #158809 by Screamin Scott

wedding 2015 wrote:

Janos wrote: Im motivated to try this now, good post topic

:agree: Except all the flowers near me are dead. :(

You can always buy flowers do your shoot indoors....

Scott Ditzel Photography

www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024

Self-critique is an important component of your journey to improving as a photographer. Use these simple tips about critiquing your work as a means to make faster progress with your art.

Apr 08, 2024