Friend wants to rent my camera and 2 lenses for vacation to Hawaii?

12 years 6 months ago #155230 by Scotty

CatherineW wrote:

Scotty wrote:

Superman wrote: Thanks everyone, this is the feedback I was looking to get. The guy is much better off than I'm at, so I know the guy could write a check today for a complete camera set up. I think he is just trying to save some money from having to buy one. He did throw out the statement "you never know I might enjoy photography then we can go out photographing together". He's a old college friend of my wife and family for a number of years. I would hate for something to happen with the camerar, because let's face it accidents do happen.

So I think tomorrow I'm going to let him know about Borrowlenses who I see are listed on this site. BTW knowing him he's going to ask for a coupon or promo code. Do these guys have any promo or coupon codes?

Thanks again!

Dunno if they're doing any promos, but ive rented a 300 2.8 and a 400 2.8 from them. Great people.

Tell your friends that rental places usually have insurance you can buy, so they're taken care of.

What did that run you on the 400mm?

I think like 380-425 plus insurance for 3 days.

When the last candle has been blown out
and the last glass of champagne has been drunk
All that you are left with are the memories and the images-David Cooke.

Photo Comments
12 years 6 months ago #155330 by janetbentongaillard
I would set the rental price at the cost of me accompanying the friend to Hawaii to take the pictures for them with my camera. :)

12 years 6 months ago #155331 by Rosemary Hyser
I would say I'm sorry but I couldn't bare to be without my camera for that long. I take my camera with me everywhere I go.

12 years 6 months ago #155334 by aricat1
I have to agree I wouldn't lend him my camera however I would take him to a camera store that rents cameras and help him pick out one to rent along with a couple of good lenses and I'd also throw in some lessons as a gesture of good will

12 years 6 months ago #155355 by Katahdin
Obviously, this individual doesn't know or use a camera to begin with...and he's wanting to borrow one so that he "may" take it with him and get "professional" photos?

Like the others before me, I would be very hesitant....I treat my camera very carefully and trust myself with it...but someone else, especially one who is not a photographer. I'm sure that there are some very good "point and shoot" cameras that he could buy and they wouldn't cost that much...after all, he is going to Hawaii?????

The other thing would be camera rentals as has been mentioned.

12 years 6 months ago #155359 by [email protected]
Hmmnm. That is a tough one but as much as I value my camera and gear, I would have to say I value my friendships even more. To that end, I would have to say no just because of what could happen if it was to get stolen or broken in some way. On top of that, I don't know if I could go a week or two without my camera.

12 years 6 months ago #155416 by Sawyer
Is your gear insured? In the event something happens, would the insurance company even cover it? I don't have a policy yet so can't look that up. Also would insurance company consider Hawaii different coverage because off the mainland?

Canon 5D Mark II | Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM | Canon 35L | Sigma 85 1.4 | Helios 44M-6 58mm(M42) | Zeiss 50mm 1.4 (C/Y) | Canon 135L | (2) 430EX II
Photo Comments
12 years 6 months ago #155429 by jhounschell
Tell him "Sure"....Calculate the replacement value of the camera and lenses that he is interested in, and charge him that amount in rental. Life is then good for everyone!

12 years 6 months ago #155469 by geoffellis
Well... I see a D40 on your profile. The replacement value of that has gotta be only 300-400$ now with a kit lens.. MAX - even cheaper on craigslist.

I would simply ask for the replacement cost as a deposit. - then suggest a rental fee. If the camera does break... you still have your D90... and a D40 isnt a /huge/ loss. The lens might be... but that should be part of your deposit. If the camera kit you give him is lost/stolen/damaged then you can easily put that money towards a newer camera body (D80 wouldnt be much more). but you could probably get one of those D3000 or D5000 for not much more as well (not sure what those go for actually though right now lol)

he doesnt need your D90. The D40 will be ample "pro" enough for an amateur
12 years 6 months ago #155471 by Pekkea 05
Heck, why not sell the camera and a lens to him. Then you can buy a new camera.

12 years 6 months ago #155533 by Moe
Not a chance

Photo Comments
12 years 6 months ago #155709 by Foxy Girl
Sell it to him? Why? Just have him rent or buy his own camera gear is the best option.

Photo Comments
12 years 6 months ago #155711 by TheNissanMan
Lending equipment to anyone is a great risk, noone touches mine and I wouldn't feel comfortable borrowing anyones unless I had the funds to replace the borrowed equipment immediately with new.

If anything were to go wrong as said it's a strain on the friendship, even worse if he is not familiar with cameras what if it came back with sand in it for example, would be working but not as it should!

12 years 5 months ago #164262 by baldman11
NO! NO! NO! AND NOOOOOOOO!!! First as a professional photographer my cameras and lenses are my money makers. Even if I was just a hobbyist the answer would still be NO! This is just a recipe for disaster. Worse case scenario you wind up with a broken camera, broken lens, and the loss of a friendship. I agree with everyone else. Turn him on to Borrow a Lens and have him rent from there. These places are insured against loss and damage as where you are not.

12 years 5 months ago #164265 by robdickin1987
easy answer to an easy question....NO because if anything happened to your camera you would be quite annoyed, just tell him to buy a fairly decent compact rather than an slr, you can still get quality photos with those

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024