What would you do with $2400? Get a back up camera or new lens?

12 years 6 months ago #156197 by Camera Diva
Over the last few weeks I have been selling off some old stuff on ebay and have nearly $2400 :banana:

So I'm on the fence with either getting a new camera body that will act as back up camera to my Canon EOS-5D Mark II. OR I will get a new lens?

This is what I have right now:
Sigma 24-60 f/2.8 EX
70-200mm f/4
Canon 100mm f/2.8
Canon 17-40mm f/4L
430EX

I was thinking about getting a 70-200mm f/2.8.

What would you buy with this money?

At the beginning of time there was absolutely nothing. And then it exploded! - Terry Pratchett
Photo Comments
12 years 6 months ago #156200 by rmeyer7
That's such a tough choice! It sounds like you've got a pretty good group of lenses, and you already have a 5D MKII, right? Do you have any type of backup camera body now?

If it were me, I might invest in some lighting besides just the 430EX. Then again, one lens that isn't on your list is the 135mm L prime. That's arguably the sharpest lens in the L line. So it's a tough choice. But those would both be just slightly ahead of the extra body for me, only because I have an older second body already.

12 years 6 months ago #156204 by Camera Diva
So second body right now. If you were going to get a second body, which would you get? 135mm L? Tempting, I'm going to look at prices. What about the f/2.8 70-200mm?

At the beginning of time there was absolutely nothing. And then it exploded! - Terry Pratchett
Photo Comments
12 years 6 months ago #156205 by Camera Diva
BTW thanks!

Photo Comments
12 years 6 months ago #156209 by rmeyer7
No problem! If I was going to get an extra body it would be the 5D II. That's only because the best camera I have now is the original 5D. If I already had the Mk. II, then my choice for a backup might be a 7D, for the professional image quality and the variation in focal length that you get from the crop sensor.

A 70-200 f/2.8 is a great lens to have as well. For any lens I purchase, I usually look at user reviews, especially the ones found at this link: www.fredmiranda.com/reviews/ - really good resource. And of course if you buy that lens, you can sell your 70-200 f/4 to make room for another future purchase ;)

12 years 6 months ago #156221 by Scotty
What do you shoot? Do you shoot professionally? Do you need a 2nd body? What do you edit on? What kind of hosting do you for galleries?

When the last candle has been blown out
and the last glass of champagne has been drunk
All that you are left with are the memories and the images-David Cooke.

Photo Comments
12 years 6 months ago #156229 by Big Kevin
What not sell that 70-200mm f/4 that you have, use that money and part of y our $2400 for a 70-200mm f/2.8. Then you have enough for another lens or better yet camera body if you need one.

12 years 6 months ago #156234 by Scotty

Big Kevin wrote: What not sell that 70-200mm f/4 that you have, use that money and part of y our $2400 for a 70-200mm f/2.8. Then you have enough for another lens or better yet camera body if you need one.

Depends on what she shoots too. 5d Mark 2 is good enough for a majority of photography.

When the last candle has been blown out
and the last glass of champagne has been drunk
All that you are left with are the memories and the images-David Cooke.

Photo Comments
12 years 6 months ago #156286 by Shadowfixer1
Depends on what you like to shoot. I would get the 100-400 but I like shooting long.
12 years 6 months ago #156287 by Office Guy
Wish I had $2400 to spend on new lens :toetap:

Photo Comments
12 years 6 months ago #156386 by Ziggy
I was looking up the prices between the F/4 and F/2.8, there is only a few hundred difference? Why is that? I would expect a much larger gap?

Photo Comments
12 years 6 months ago #156415 by mj~shutterbugg
I think it really depends what you shoot, how you shoot and is it your hobby or profession. For ME- I would sell the 75-200 f4 and buy the 2.8 instead. Then take the extra and make sure my software and computer are solid. That you have every program to do what you need to do with ease. After that is done I would go for the back up body. With that I would say the 7D or a used 5Dmii.

If this is your profession then a back up body gets bumped up the list as you can't be without a body. I would then update software and computer hardware, and then got for the lens. You have an amazing line up so tweaking it isn't paramount in my mind.

Happy Shopping!

Think Off-Center ~ George Carlin
www.mjbrennanphoto.com

12 years 6 months ago #156423 by chasrich
I had trouble deciding how to spend $200.00 in prize money. I think I'm leaning towards a 7D and making my 60D a backup camera. Before that happens I'm planing on a wide angle prime. If you want you can be my patron... :woohoo:

“Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light, I just make pictures… ” ~ Vernon Trent
12 years 6 months ago #156566 by HyperJ

Scotty wrote: What do you shoot? Do you shoot professionally? Do you need a 2nd body? What do you edit on? What kind of hosting do you for galleries?

What does hosting galleries have to do with buying a 2nd body or new lens?

If it was me, buy a new lens.

12 years 6 months ago #156567 by HyperJ

Big Kevin wrote: What not sell that 70-200mm f/4 that you have, use that money and part of y our $2400 for a 70-200mm f/2.8. Then you have enough for another lens or better yet camera body if you need one.

:agree: I like that idea. Why have two 70-200. IMO, that is just one more lens to get in the way of the same focal length.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024