Nikon D3100 - getting message " Subject too Dark"

12 years 5 months ago #156878 by Traveler
Hey everyone,

I have purchased a D3100 some 2 weeks backs. When I am trying to shoot in shutter priority mode m constantly getting this message " Subject too dark" and the images are all dark. I am trying this in broad daylight conditions.

following are the settings

1) ISO @ 3200
2) Shutter Speed @ 1/2000
3) Autofocus

have tried the following:
1) Lens cap is removed
2) tried diff. ISO as well.

please help with a suitable solution

12 years 5 months ago #156882 by Garbo
Have you tried other modes like Aperture priority or manual?

Nikon D300: 24-70 2.8 | 70-200 2.8 VR |Sigma 150 2.8 | 50 1.4 | SB-800
Photo Comments
12 years 5 months ago #156887 by icepics
The ISO is high and that's a fast shutter speed, don't know what the aperture was but I would think that combination may not be allowing enough light to come into the camera. Obviously if it's telling you it's too dark you'll need to try different settings to let in enough light.

Sharon
Photo Comments
12 years 5 months ago #156888 by Traveler
under aperture priority..no such message comes up..

12 years 5 months ago #156889 by Traveler
I have tried ISO @ 100 as well and i am using shutter priority mode so the aperture is done automatically by camera.

can u help me with a suitable setting

12 years 5 months ago #156890 by Janos
That's a pretty fast shutter, try dropping down the shutter speed to 1/200 sec and see what happens.

Photo Comments
12 years 5 months ago #156894 by Traveler
Tried ..no go

12 years 5 months ago #156895 by Janos
Is this a new camera?

Photo Comments
12 years 5 months ago #156896 by Janos
Whoops, I see 2 weeks old...

Photo Comments
12 years 5 months ago #156898 by Janos
If you are 100% that you have reduced everything that might be blocking the the light, (High ISO, Fast shutter, etc.) I would bring the camera into store for service.

Photo Comments
12 years 5 months ago #156899 by Traveler
Incidentally thats happenning only in Shutter priority mode and not in Manual. Under Manual mode using the same settings, everthing is perfect.

12 years 5 months ago #156900 by Janos
Yeah, sounds like a glitch in the camera, I would bring back to get an exchange or have them look at it. Good luck with that.

Photo Comments
12 years 5 months ago #157072 by Gene.Culley
I'd bring the camera back to where you bought it

Photo Comments
12 years 5 months ago #159241 by MYoung
Did you find out what the problem was?

Photo Comments
12 years 5 months ago #159316 by Mefhite
I also had this problem in the past. It was just simply that the shutter speed was too high (not enough light) for the camera to capture the image. I lower the shutter speed and I was fine.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024

Self-critique is an important component of your journey to improving as a photographer. Use these simple tips about critiquing your work as a means to make faster progress with your art.

Apr 08, 2024