Finding it hard to find inspiration

12 years 5 months ago #159233 by Mefhite
I'm finding it hard to find inspiration for landscape photography in the area at the moment.
I don't have the money at the moment to fly out to incredible places to take some pictures
Have any of you felt like this before? How have you gotten over it?

12 years 5 months ago #159236 by JAGriff

Mefhite wrote: I'm finding it hard to find inspiration for landscape photography in the area at the moment.
I don't have the money at the moment to fly out to incredible places to take some pictures

Try shooting something different. I find inspiration in abstracts.

A photo is more than just a picture. It is a moment captured in time.

www.wix.com/jagriff/jeffreyagriffinphotography

12 years 5 months ago #159237 by RogerS
That happens to everyone. I'm short of funds this summer, and it's really just the visiting to family in other towns that gives me something different to focus on. I know everyone loves the wilderness shots I get here, but I'm just so bored with that at the moment.

12 years 5 months ago #159238 by Area Photog
It's Autumn, I am sure you can find inspiration all over. Photograph trees standing alone, get close up to the leaves.

12 years 5 months ago #159240 by Mefhite

JAGriff wrote:

Mefhite wrote: I'm finding it hard to find inspiration for landscape photography in the area at the moment.

Try shooting something different. I find inspiration in abstracts.

I like shooting landscapes, so sometimes it's hard to shoot anything but....however I guess I can give it a try. It won't hurt, I'm already stuck in finding inspiration. Thanks.

12 years 5 months ago #159242 by denhim1

RogerS wrote: That happens to everyone. I'm short of funds this summer, and it's really just the visiting to family in other towns that gives me something different to focus on. I know everyone loves the wilderness shots I get here, but I'm just so bored with that at the moment.

You could go a complete 180 and shoot people. :)

12 years 5 months ago #159244 by RogerS

denhim1 wrote:

RogerS wrote: That happens to everyone. I'm short of funds this summer, and it's really just the visiting to family in other towns that gives me something different to focus on. I know everyone loves the wilderness shots I get here, but I'm just so bored with that at the moment.

You could go a complete 180 and shoot people. :)

See? It's as simple as trying something different for a change.

12 years 5 months ago #159245 by Mefhite

Area Photog wrote: It's Autumn, I am sure you can find inspiration all over. Photograph trees standing alone, get close up to the leaves.

You are right, it's Autumn and I guess that's what frustrates me even more.All this color and I lost my inspiration.

12 years 5 months ago #159248 by chasrich
I usually try to boost my interest by focusing on a different genre'. Landscapes are nice but until a season changes or you travel to a different locale you are eventually going to shoot and reshoot your scenes until they seem... as you said uninspiring. Take your camera and change lenses. Try your hand at macro or astronomy. Have you mastered flash photography or studio lighting? Try some time exposures or nighttime photography. Even in rural areas you can try street photography. Have you worked on any editing projects or learned new techniques?

Get busy. You don't have time for the doldrums. That reminds me - I need to spend more time with my Lensbaby and also shoot some high speed photography. I wonder what high speed photography looks like with a Lensbaby??? Now where did I put that leaky faucet... :rofl:

“Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light, I just make pictures… ” ~ Vernon Trent
12 years 5 months ago #159250 by robbie
Didn`t know where you located so I checked,I lots of places that would look great...
www.missourihistorictowns.com/missouri-h...istory-landmarks.htm
Don`t just shoot but look for the best view and try and compose in the camera,when you 'see' your best composition zoom back a touch just in case you would prefer a slightly wider view later.
Good shooting!!!

12 years 5 months ago #159258 by Mefhite

robbie wrote: Didn`t know where you located so I checked,I lots of places that would look great...
www.missourihistorictowns.com/missouri-h...istory-landmarks.htm
Don`t just shoot but look for the best view and try and compose in the camera,when you 'see' your best composition zoom back a touch just in case you would prefer a slightly wider view later.
Good shooting!!!

Thanks Robbie. I always tend to go out in the woods to shoot landscapes, but I guess my mind is getting bored of that. Never thought about shooting city/town landscapes.

12 years 5 months ago #159259 by denhim1

chasrich wrote:
That reminds me - I need to spend more time with my Lensbaby and also shoot some high speed photography. I wonder what high speed photography looks like with a Lensbaby??? Now where did I put that leaky faucet... :rofl:

Looks like a big blur. :rofl:

12 years 5 months ago - 12 years 5 months ago #159461 by JAGriff
Mefhite,

I like shooting portraits but I don't always have models. It's good for us to come out of our comfort zones every now and then :-)

A photo is more than just a picture. It is a moment captured in time.

www.wix.com/jagriff/jeffreyagriffinphotography

12 years 5 months ago #159471 by Rob pix4u2
I find cityscapes and small towns to be full of opportunities to re-inspire myself and was getting into macro over the summer as it is my off season from shooting hockey. Maybe try high school sports as a venue that is available wherever you are? just some ideas from a sports photog who works mainly in the winter months

Remember to engage brain before putting mouth in gear
Rob Huelsman Sr.
My Facebook www.facebook.com/ImaginACTIONPhotography

Attachments:
12 years 5 months ago #159488 by Justin Black
Identifying a personal project with a well-defined theme and purpose is a create way to find inspiration. Try giving this a read: www.outdoorphotographer.com/locations/no...ng-with-purpose.html

Also, look for my piece on developing creativity in a few months.

Justin Black
Visionary Wild – workshops and travel for the passionate photographer
visionarywild.com

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024