Keep them or throw away?

12 years 5 months ago #160455 by 65byi
What do you do with all of the RAW files that you have already converted to JPEG? Keep them or send them to the recycling bin? I just dont know what I need to do with them! Please help. Thanks in advance.

12 years 5 months ago #160458 by 4UThomas
Well on the photos that are no good, I throw away the raw. On the photos I like, I keep the raws in a seperate folder. You never know when you may need to access that raw file again.

12 years 5 months ago #160464 by Mugsy

65byi wrote: What do you do with all of the RAW files that you have already converted to JPEG? Keep them or send them to the recycling bin? I just dont know what I need to do with them! Please help. Thanks in advance.

I suppose this goes along the same lines of film negatives. Did you throw away negatives?

12 years 5 months ago #160468 by 65byi

Mugsy wrote:

65byi wrote: What do you do with all of the RAW files that you have already converted to JPEG? Keep them or send them to the recycling bin? I just dont know what I need to do with them! Please help. Thanks in advance.

I suppose this goes along the same lines of film negatives. Did you throw away negatives?

Actually I did throw my negatives away, after I am sure I would never want another copy.

12 years 5 months ago #160518 by TheNissanMan
Wehn processing I tend to create a couple of folders before I do anything:

- Binned (RAW I don't like)
- Processed (Final JPG Files)
- Originals (RAW and XMP files)
- Scripted (Pics with borders on)
- Alamy (Final JPG Files that have not been cropped, had much editing done to them and think will pass Alamy QC, this one doesnt get used much lol)

That way I can easuily stop and start editing as time allows and I can see exactly what has been done :)

12 years 5 months ago #160594 by Henry Peach
I keep most of the raw files from personal work. I often re-printed my negs differently as time passed, and I reprocess raw files too. Both my skill and the ability of the software increases over time.

I only discard raw files I am absolutely sure I will never want to reprocess differently. This is mostly family snaps and client work after a suitable amount of time has passed so I am sure I won't need the raw files again.
12 years 5 months ago #160803 by Joves
I keep mine since they are original data files. I even have they and my other photos backed up. With storage as cheap as it is they dont take up that much room.

12 years 5 months ago #160812 by cod
Keep! Always! They are the important files as far as I am concerned, More so than the processed jpegs (I keep those too of course.) The RAW can be reprocessed in different ways for other purposes later. One thing I've discovered is that as my skills progress and my toolbox gets bigger - new plug-ins, etc - I can sometimes go back and reprocessold images and get a much better finished product than the first time around.

Chris O'Donoghue
Winnipeg, Canada
codonoghue.prosite.com

12 years 5 months ago #160818 by fotozone
Something I saw someone post here (I wish I could remember who) is that if you ever have to prove that a photo is yours the raw file is the easiest way to do so. That is the file that only the photographer has.
12 years 5 months ago #160822 by Joves

fotozone wrote: Something I saw someone post here (I wish I could remember who) is that if you ever have to prove that a photo is yours the raw file is the easiest way to do so. That is the file that only the photographer has.

That would be me. Which is very true for court if you ever find one of your images being used commercially without your permission. It is the original data file and would be evidence of your ownership, which means a Copyright violation. Also if you ever have that happen you need to register that image with the Copyright Office, you can go to the Copyright site for the amount of time between discovery and when it must be registered.

12 years 5 months ago #160904 by Puter
When I get around to learning raw, I plan to keep them. It's a digital negative and for me I always kept my film negatives. To this day, I have a box full of negatives, while the prints are in albums.

12 years 5 months ago - 12 years 5 months ago #161267 by Stealthy Ninja
Keep, they're like negatives. Using LR you can keep them nice and organized and HDDs are cheap.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024