Downloaded image...

12 years 5 months ago #160853 by Taggelera
:owned:
I must say that I received an e-mail stating that someone had downloaded one of my portfolio images without my permission..... I e-mailed this person and did not receive a response back.
I am new to the forum and thought that I had the settings properly that no one could just "download" them.
I think the settings need to be changed for new members so that if they want to have their photo's downloaded by others then you should have to check the box, not the other way around.
I am extremely upset about this and have debated pulling all of my images off this site.
I don't think it is appropriate regardless to download another photog's images without their express consent to do so.

sorry rant over....
I just feel kinda violated, especially when I sent a nice message thinking that it was possibly a mistake and wondered what he was going to do with the photo. wish I could have received and answer.

12 years 5 months ago #160872 by crystal
I'm sorry it has happen to you. Whoever downloaded your photo, should have the respect to reply back to you. I don't know when this happen and when you emailed the person who downloaded your photo, but I would at least give that person a couple of days. Not everyone checks their emails (or sign on here) every day.

Either way, I feel if anyone on the internet is interested in anyone's images, they should ask the owner first.

Also, I don't like the idea of any site automatically allowing people to download other's photos.(this includeds facebook etc..) Yes this feature can be turn off here on PT. I agree with you, the default should be (not allowed to download). If the photographer wants to allowed people to download, then allow it.

Many of us put photos up to share to others, not to steal, not to use unless given permission too.

There are ways around stealing an image (without the download button). So if someone wants a photo that badly they will take it. But why make it easier with having a download button.

Once again, I am sorry this has happen to you. Please don't let one bad apple spoil the fun you could be having on PhotographyTalk. It's nice to see new members. :)
12 years 5 months ago #160915 by Baydream
I have posted a link to this thread in the admin area and suggested the change. In the meantime, if you don't hear back, use the Contact Us button at the bottom of the page and let us know the user ID. Perhaps a reminder from an Admin will help get a response.

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
12 years 5 months ago #160932 by Henry Peach
I totally agree with you, but as a learning experience just count on everything on the internet being default set to no privacy, no protection. I always check those settings when uploading my photos.
12 years 5 months ago #160933 by RogerS
The first thing I looked for when I joined this forum was the "button". Regardless of what you do, just assume that some jerk, somewhere, will try to steal pictures from the internet. There is no real concrete security anywhere.

12 years 5 months ago #161000 by bfchris
Guys:

We're working on a brand new gallery system now, it will be much, much better than what we have in place currently.

-c-

is working your interwebs.
12 years 5 months ago #161004 by boriqua latina

crystal wrote: I'm sorry it has happen to you. Whoever downloaded your photo, should have the respect to reply back to you. I don't know when this happen and when you emailed the person who downloaded your photo, but I would at least give that person a couple of days. Not everyone checks their emails (or sign on here) every day.

Either way, I feel if anyone on the internet is interested in anyone's images, they should ask the owner first.

Also, I don't like the idea of any site automatically allowing people to download other's photos.(this includeds facebook etc..) Yes this feature can be turn off here on PT. I agree with you, the default should be (not allowed to download). If the photographer wants to allowed people to download, then allow it.

Many of us put photos up to share to others, not to steal, not to use unless given permission too.

There are ways around stealing an image (without the download button). So if someone wants a photo that badly they will take it. But why make it easier with having a download button.

Once again, I am sorry this has happen to you. Please don't let one bad apple spoil the fun you could be having on PhotographyTalk. It's nice to see new members. :)

How do you turn off the feature here?, Where is it located? I was looking for it when i first began the site didnt know Pt had that option...

12 years 5 months ago #161006 by steveheap
I just looked as well, without success. Although I must admit that I assume that people will download images from sites such as these and so I always restrict the size to 600 px. That can be used on a web site, but it is pretty useless for anything else. I someone wants to put my image on their website then I don't feel particularly strongly about it - they would be extremely unlikely to have bought it, and so it isn't lost revenue in any real sense.

I know this is only slightly related, but what really amused me recently was to see one of my stock shots of a white water raft in Pennsylvania claimed to be from a trip that someone made in California! .

Here is the original:

Steve

My Stock Photo Blog
www.backyardsilver.com

Attachments:
12 years 5 months ago #161013 by orion
In relation to Adriana's and Steve's question of turning the feature off, i think, not sure, this is how to do it.

Go into your profile
click on photos (4th box along)
click on "Photo Controls" "+"
Go into "User Settings"
"Downloading" should be "Only Me"

This should stop people downloading your pictures. Can someone verify??

12 years 5 months ago #161021 by robbie

orion wrote: In relation to Adriana's and Steve's question of turning the feature off, i think, not sure, this is how to do it.

Go into your profile
Go into "User Settings"

Check your 'pm'

12 years 5 months ago #161023 by boriqua latina
I did all that but when i got to the settings box it doesnt give me the options of downloading nothing.. it just says permissions on one box and notifications on another box but none is clicking.. then it says okay ... it doesn't let me perform any any action or downloads.. then the box doesnt close it stays stuck.... i think its a technical problem...

12 years 5 months ago #161025 by orion
Ok, was just an idea...i dont no then. Nice avatar picture BTW, you've gone batty!! lol

12 years 5 months ago #161087 by chasrich

orion wrote: In relation to Adriana's and Steve's question of turning the feature off, i think, not sure, this is how to do it.

Go into your profile
Go into "User Settings"

Indeed. Clearly stated and spot on... Good Job.

“Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light, I just make pictures… ” ~ Vernon Trent
12 years 5 months ago #161100 by geoffellis
I hate to break it to you but if someone can see your photo online... they can copy it. The difference between the download button on a website and the file that is displayed is only the file size. A displayed photo is often smaller than the original.

but if you dont want people downloading the full sized file then you shouldnt be uploading it in the first place.

I can guarantee you that if you put it online, I can take it offline. Doesnt matter how you display it or how you try to stop someone from downloading it, I can get it with very little effort (provided the picture is visibly available)
12 years 5 months ago #161104 by Scotty

geoffellis wrote: I hate to break it to you but if someone can see your photo online... they can copy it. The difference between the download button on a website and the file that is displayed is only the file size. A displayed photo is often smaller than the original.

but if you dont want people downloading the full sized file then you shouldnt be uploading it in the first place.

I can guarantee you that if you put it online, I can take it offline. Doesnt matter how you display it or how you try to stop someone from downloading it, I can get it with very little effort (provided the picture is visibly available)

Screen shotting is what you are talking about.

When the last candle has been blown out
and the last glass of champagne has been drunk
All that you are left with are the memories and the images-David Cooke.

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024