Have you ever forgot how to use the camera?

12 years 5 months ago #162157 by QC 89
Has there ever been a time where you haven't picked up the camera in a while, like over the winter season (if you don't shoot during that time) or take a year or two break from photography. And then when you pick up the camera, you can't remember how to do certain things like...changing the settings?

My father hasn't touched his camera in oh, about 10yrs or so. Over the weekend, he says to me, he wants to get back into photography. He wanted to try out a DSLR, so I let him use mine and he forget completely about ISO, shutter speed and of course aperture.

12 years 5 months ago #162158 by chasrich
Even the subtle differences can throw you. My wife took a few shots with my SLR. I thought we should get some great shots of me and the little kids screaming as we drove around in a four wheeler. She had forgotten how to zoom so they were a bit far away. I asked her was she looking for the zoom controls where they are on the other camera - she said yes.

“Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light, I just make pictures… ” ~ Vernon Trent
12 years 5 months ago #162163 by RogerS
Of course! I keep my S5200 around for a backup, and when I don't want to lug around the DSLR. It's so far between using it, I completely forget the settings.

12 years 5 months ago #162166 by QC 89

chasrich wrote: Even the subtle differences can throw you. My wife took a few shots with my SLR. I thought we should get some great shots of me and the little kids screaming as we drove around in a four wheeler. She had forgotten how to zoom so they were a bit far away. I asked her was she looking for the zoom controls where they are on the other camera - she said yes.

B) but hey at least she was able to capture the memories. Were the pictures at least in focus?

12 years 5 months ago #162174 by Arkangel7x3
happens when i brake out the heritage cannon a5 film camera u have to set the film speed on that one

"If it's to good to be true best to shoot it again"
12 years 5 months ago #162175 by QC 89

Arkangel7x3 wrote: happens when i brake out the heritage cannon a5 film camera u have to set the film speed on that one

haha, You must be thinking when you pick that camera up....what's film speed? Where is the ISO button? :rofl:

12 years 5 months ago #162195 by BowlingQ
Nope, never forgot...yet. lol

gotta keep practicing so your hand/mind knows what to do right away. I always say practice. Even if you're home, indoor, just take the camera and practice with anything. That way your mind can register quickly when you're somewhere.

12 years 5 months ago #162242 by rmeyer7
I had to refresh my memory a little using my old Canon Rebel, when I went to a ballgame and wasn't allowed to take a professional camera in. I also have to think a little bit when I use my old Nikon film camera, since I don't use it that much. And yes, I have to set the film speed on that one as well :)

12 years 5 months ago #162310 by RogerS
Speaking about film cams, I have to remember which of my lenses fit and work on the N6006 every time I take that one out. I leave the 80-210 on it most times, but sometimes I forget and throw on the 18-50 which does not work on older cams. Neither does the 70-300. All I can do is rely on the 28-80 or the 80-300 which are prior manufacture to DSLRs.

12 years 5 months ago #162336 by Joves
Sometimes I think I have forgot when I look as shots. But no I dont generally forget how to use one.

12 years 5 months ago #162348 by Baydream
Even going between bodies if the controls have changed. The ISO settings are in completely different places on my two Canons (big improvement on the newer one).

I have XP on my desktop and Win7 on my laptop and have to stop every once in a while to think it through.

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
12 years 5 months ago #162353 by Stealthy Ninja
Sorta. Usually it's some feature I don't use too often.

Like the other day I couldn't work out how to adjust the white balance by kelvin numbers on my XF300. I didn't forget, I'd just never used that feature.

I worked it out after a bit.
12 years 5 months ago #162360 by Nunya
Yes, but I call them brain farts, a temporary forgetfulness that comes back

Don't look at me, I didn't do it :)
12 years 5 months ago #162379 by Stealthy Ninja
Oh noes I hiuasdidu faid adsiashaais hhhiii

Sorry forgot how to type for a moment there.
12 years 5 months ago #162394 by Hawkins
Some of the advance stuff I have forgotten from time to time, till I get more experience.

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024