Weather reschedules for outdoor photo shoots?

12 years 5 months ago #165543 by JHoward
Living in the North East has it's challenges for photographers this time of the year. I have had weddings and recently a bridal photo shoot scheduled for some time, only to have the day of be forecast-ed crummy weather. I'll drive out to location and have to pull the plug because the weather just isn't working out. This has happened twice to me this year so far.

I would like to see when do other photographers "pull the plug" on the shoot? Will you go out even though the weather forecast is showing crummy weather ahead? It's annoying when I have to prep, load up my SUV with all my gear then drive for example 1 hour each way, knowing that weather forecast isn't looking good. Only to get out there and have the sky's open up shortly after getting fully set up.

My dilemma is I feel off by recommending to bride (or client) to cancel. Because what if it doesn't rain, snow, etc.? But my time is valuable, should I charge for my time if weather is bad when I get to shoot and we have to cancel? I know it's not the clients fault, but I'm there for them.

Sticky question?! Please, share your thoughts.

Canon 7D & 1D MK III, Canon 10-22mm, 16-35mm f2.8L II, 24-70mm f2.8L, 70-200mm f2.8L IS, 300mm f2.8L IS, 200mm f2L IS, 50mm f1.4, 50mm f1.2L, 85mm f1.
12 years 5 months ago #165546 by chasrich
It's about communication and commitment... I hear what you are saying about the expense of bad weather. The bride has time spent as well plus the disappointment of not getting the shoot done and out of the way for her busy wedding schedule. Perhaps a call the night before telling her your concerns about the weather would allow you both the cancel or postpone the meeting until after the skies have cleared. :thumbsup:

“Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light, I just make pictures… ” ~ Vernon Trent
12 years 5 months ago #165563 by JHoward
Oh I have, every time weather looks bad and I have a outdoor shoot. I always call day before voicing my concerns. And every time, the client insists "the weather people are always wrong". So far every time this has happened, the weather people were right!

I've been putting some thought into charging the client for reschedules IF I call them day before and voice my concerns regarding outdoor shoot. Let me clarify, if I warn them and recommend a reschedule and they reschedule there will be no charge. If I recommend reschedule based on weather forecast and they don't take my recommendations and I get to location and the weather is bad and we have to reschedule, I'm thinking about charging them for my time that day.

Thoughts?

Canon 7D & 1D MK III, Canon 10-22mm, 16-35mm f2.8L II, 24-70mm f2.8L, 70-200mm f2.8L IS, 300mm f2.8L IS, 200mm f2L IS, 50mm f1.4, 50mm f1.2L, 85mm f1.
12 years 5 months ago #165564 by photobod
Why not do the photos indoors, find a nice venue where you can achieve some nice classy shots it doesnt always have to be outdoors. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

www.dcimages.org.uk
"A good photograph is one that communicate a fact, touches the heart, leaves the viewer a changed person for having seen it. It is, in a word, effective." - Irving Penn

12 years 5 months ago #165615 by Rob pix4u2
I've done most of my shoots the day of the wedding and indoors at the church if the weather is crummy, I do shoots in ice rinks as well as bars and restaurants party rooms if they have some character. I've also done shoots in a brides living room a couple of times when it snowed

Remember to engage brain before putting mouth in gear
Rob Huelsman Sr.
My Facebook www.facebook.com/ImaginACTIONPhotography

12 years 5 months ago #166077 by JHoward

photobod wrote: Why not do the photos indoors, find a nice venue where you can achieve some nice classy shots it doesnt always have to be outdoors. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

In these cases it's not my choice. If the client wants outdoor photos, that's what they will get. Assuming the weather works out! ;)

12 years 5 months ago #166124 by photobod

JHoward wrote:

photobod wrote: Why not do the photos indoors, find a nice venue where you can achieve some nice classy shots it doesnt always have to be outdoors. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

In these cases it's not my choice. If the client wants outdoor photos, that's what they will get. Assuming the weather works out! ;)

In that case its the clients responsibility to cancel and pay your costs and this should be stated in your contract, never give a client the chance to give you the run around as if you do they will sieze the opportunity, so if when you get there and its raining and your contract states that "in the case of bad weather the shoot will take place inside" if they refuse then you can charge them the extra costs for a reshoot, lets face it if it was an actual wedding day would the bride and groom be able to say to all the suppliers "lets not do it today come back when its sunny" I can see the reaction right now and it would be the B&G doing the running, "away".

www.dcimages.org.uk
"A good photograph is one that communicate a fact, touches the heart, leaves the viewer a changed person for having seen it. It is, in a word, effective." - Irving Penn

12 years 5 months ago #166143 by baldman11
I have to agree with Photobod. It should be clearly defined in your contract regarding outdoor shoots and bad weather. I'm sure the bride-to-be would love an outdoor shoot. But if they live in the Northeast and want it done this time of year there is always the chance for inclement weather. You can be a nice guy and give her a break on the charge for the day or make arrangements for a nice indoor venue. Either way it should be defined in your agreement.

12 years 5 months ago #166191 by stephenpeter
my camera and wet weather DO NOT mix together , ever!

12 years 5 months ago - 12 years 5 months ago #166225 by Henry Peach
I think most folks are pretty understanding. I do try to discuss potential weather issues ahead of time. Once I had a guy blow up at me because I wanted to reschedule a family portrait session. It hadn't started raining yet, but the skies were really dark and it was very windy. The rain did come down shortly after.

I let people know early on that I can't shoot in the rain, I'm not willing to Photoshop wind blown hair in every single photo, and I can't Photoshop out the look of discomfort cause by the subject being too hot or cold. I do not have a studio location, and thus we have to consider the weather. I try to keep my eye on the long range forecast, and contact the client a day or two ahead if I think it looks like there could be trouble.

It might be a different issue if we wanted to use inclement weather in the shoot, but most folks who hire me for portrait sessions are looking for nice photos to share with family and friends, and that's not them running in the rain or sledding.

For weddings I always plan ahead for an alternate indoor location in case of bad weather. Usually that's a little different because the couple has already reserved both a ceremony and reception location. If someone wanted to rent an indoor location for a portrait shoot I'd be fine with that.
12 years 5 months ago #166331 by Monti Leehsu

Henry Peach wrote: I think most folks are pretty understanding. I do try to discuss potential weather issues ahead of time. Once I had a guy blow up at me because I wanted to reschedule a family portrait session. It hadn't started raining yet, but the skies were really dark and it was very windy. The rain did come down shortly after.

I let people know early on that I can't shoot in the rain, I'm not willing to Photoshop wind blown hair in every single photo, and I can't Photoshop out the look of discomfort cause by the subject being too hot or cold. I do not have a studio location, and thus we have to consider the weather. I try to keep my eye on the long range forecast, and contact the client a day or two ahead if I think it looks like there could be trouble.

It might be a different issue if we wanted to use inclement weather in the shoot, but most folks who hire me for portrait sessions are looking for nice photos to share with family and friends, and that's not them running in the rain or sledding.

For weddings I always plan ahead for an alternate indoor location in case of bad weather. Usually that's a little different because the couple has already reserved both a ceremony and reception location. If someone wanted to rent an indoor location for a portrait shoot I'd be fine with that.

:goodpost:

Photo Comments
12 years 5 months ago #166598 by Silver Fox
It depends on the client and conditions. But I won't ever shoot in the rain.

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024