Do you get camera shy when taking photos of people on the street?

13 years 2 months ago #16956 by Casey T
I'm talking about street photos. I was out and about yesterday and came across a few opportunities of some good street photos. One time I was focused on a guy who was about 25 feet from me, just as I was getting ready to take the photo he looked at me and I pretended to take my photo of some thing else.

This isn't the first time this has happened with me. I guess I'm concerned someone might get mad that I took their photo. Has anyone been approached for taking someone's photo on the street with out asking?

What do you do?

My Passion is being behind my camera and my family.
Photo Comments
13 years 2 months ago #16960 by photobod
Take the photo, if they come over to ask you why, which is unlikely, tell them the truth, offer them a copy of the photo, all you need is there email address, I once took some photos in a market area, when asked by a stall holder why I was taking photos, I told him it was for a college course I was on, he asked if I could give him a copy of the photo, I said yes then he advised me to be careful as a lot of the workers on the market were on benefits and working cash in hand, that made me chuckle but I had no problems.

www.dcimages.org.uk
"A good photograph is one that communicate a fact, touches the heart, leaves the viewer a changed person for having seen it. It is, in a word, effective." - Irving Penn

13 years 2 months ago #16973 by Baydream
Probably nervous about "Homeland Security'. Since you are in a public place, you can shoot away. If you tried to use the shot for "financial gain" you would need a "model release".
Photobod is right. People usually just want to know why. In Halifax, NS, I was shooting in the Public Gardens and noticed children playing. No one cared that I was catching their antics but in some place, paranoia runs deep.

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
13 years 2 months ago #16991 by studioaphoto
I approach people all the time on the street. There was a time when I would have hesitated, but just remember that we are photographers. It's kind of our thing. I like to think I'm recording an important and significant moment, even if it isn't. Either way that moment will never happen again.

Tanis
13 years 2 months ago #16997 by avery
Over the years I have taken probably hundreds of candid photos on the street. Most of the time the people were unaware I had taken a photo. But, yes, once in awhile someone will approach me and ask "Did you just take my picture? Why?"

I'm always honest with them, telling them I am simply fascinated by all the different shapes, sizes, expressions, etc. out there. I always assure them I have no plans to sell the photos. That's usually enough.

Occasionally someone will still object and I will promise to delete the photo. Of course, in today's digital world, it's easy to actually show them you are deleting. In the old film world, you had to convince them you would do it.

Just be open and honest and don't try to hide. Most people will be okay with it.

13 years 2 months ago #17023 by Casey T
You guys are all awesome, thank you for the input. I feel a lot more comfortable already.

My Passion is being behind my camera and my family.
Photo Comments
13 years 2 months ago #17099 by Rob pix4u2
street photos are journalistic recordings of everyday life and as such you are contributing to the archives of mankind. Who knows what value will be placed upon them in the future? Right now musician Peter Frampton is searching for pix taken with him by regular fans dating back to the 1970s for use in an upcoming tour. Who would have imagined that back in 1977? so go ahead and shoot... someday you may be very happy you recorded that moment in time.

Remember to engage brain before putting mouth in gear
Rob Huelsman Sr.
My Facebook www.facebook.com/ImaginACTIONPhotography

13 years 2 months ago #17536 by ShadowWalker
It really depends on my mood, for the most part I just fire away.

Photo Comments
13 years 2 months ago #17562 by sarahpepco
I have taken some pictures of people on the streets, but I am also afraid of someone coming over to me and beating the heck out of because I took a picture of them or of their child.

13 years 2 months ago #17952 by Foxy Girl
Hi Casey,

I personally don't take that many street shots yet, might just change that one of these days! If they see taking their photo I might just say hi and show them their photo.

Photo Comments
13 years 2 months ago - 13 years 2 months ago #18015 by Stealthy Ninja
Not a lot, but I have the Stealthy techniques down.

13 years 2 months ago #18078 by Rob pix4u2

Stealthy Ninja wrote: Not a lot, but I have the Stealthy techniques down.

great facial expression for someone sitting on a fireplug

Remember to engage brain before putting mouth in gear
Rob Huelsman Sr.
My Facebook www.facebook.com/ImaginACTIONPhotography

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024

The Canon 1DX Mark III is a big, burly professional camera packed with top-end features. Is it worth the investment in 2024? Find out in this detailed review!

Mar 04, 2024

In the OM-1 vs OM-5 debate, which camera comes out on top? Though they’re different cameras for different purposes, comparing them head to head clarifies which is best for your needs.

Mar 01, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Opening a photography business means undertaking various photography marketing strategies to promote your work. But you don’t want to do the same old thing - try these unique ideas!

Mar 22, 2024

The Canon EOS 80D might be a few years old, but it’s nevertheless a quality camera to invest in as a beginner or enthusiast looking for a mid-range DSLR with tons of lens options.

Mar 22, 2024

Wedding consultations are a critical part of a wedding photography gig. It’s when you learn about the couple and their wants, and present them with how you will meet those desires.

Mar 22, 2024

If you're looking for the best metal print of 2023, you'll find it from Artbeat Studios. After months of testing, Artbeat Studios beat out the competition!

Mar 21, 2024

Getting the best video shots on your camera or smartphone requires you to understand the fundamentals of composition and video editing. It helps to have the appropriate gear, too!

Mar 20, 2024

It’s easy to lose your inspiration behind the lens, especially as a beginner. These creative photography projects can help inspire you to try new techniques and improve your photos.

Mar 20, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024