When you bought your first DSLR

12 years 4 months ago #171703 by Chas
were you happy with it? or did you regret buying it and return it for a better camera? Also was your first DSLR bought in a store or an online purchase?

I bought mine online and it was based off a friend's recommendation. I do have to say, I am happy with my t2i.

12 years 4 months ago #171740 by rmeyer7
My first DSLR was a Rebel XTi. I had only used a semi-advanced P&S before that, so I was completely satisfied with the XTi; there was a ton of stuff to learn and it took a while before I was ready to upgrade. I still shoot with it on rare occasion, when I want my zoom to have that extra crop-sensor reach. :)

12 years 4 months ago #171742 by Screamin Scott
I'm still using my 1st DSLR (Nikon D70s)...Bought online, never thought about returning it for a "better" model as I couldn't afford the "better model anyway...

Scott Ditzel Photography

www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/

Photo Comments
12 years 4 months ago #171780 by KCook
Err, thrilled to have a DSLR at all when I bought my first one. In a big box store. Stayed with it for a year and a half.

Kelly

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

12 years 4 months ago #171871 by effron
My first was also a D70s, bought on line, and I was and still am very happy with it, as it is now IR motted....;)

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
12 years 4 months ago #171989 by Stealthy Ninja
The only camera I kinda regretted buying is the Nikon D7000 and the Canon 1DIV.

I loved the Canon 1DIV but it made me realize that Canon AF sorta sucks on most models (5DII) so I switched to Nikon because of it and got my AWESOME D3s.

The D7000 is a great camera, but after using the D3s it's actually quite noisy. I'm not use to seeing grain come in at iso 800.
12 years 4 months ago #172003 by Baydream
My first DSLR was a Canon XT (2006). I still use it and can not imagine how many shutter clicks are on it. When I felt the need to update, I bought an XSi (about 2009). I carry both nad shoot extensively with both, one with the kit lens or 50mm and the other with the 70-300. The type of "shoot" determines which body gets which lens. Both have served perfectly and been well worth in investment.
I think the 60D may be next but will keep the others. The XT may get converted to IR or get my grand daughter started (to replace her old Pentax. Time will tell.

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
12 years 4 months ago #172100 by lit-photography08
I love my first camera . I still used it even though I have new one. :thumbsup:
12 years 4 months ago #172108 by Scotty
First was a rebel XT. I learned on it, don't regret it.

When the last candle has been blown out
and the last glass of champagne has been drunk
All that you are left with are the memories and the images-David Cooke.

Photo Comments
12 years 4 months ago #172115 by Rob pix4u2
My first DSLR was the D70s and when i went to buy a second one the D80 was out so I bought it and now I have 2 D90 bodiesand have been happy with all of them

Remember to engage brain before putting mouth in gear
Rob Huelsman Sr.
My Facebook www.facebook.com/ImaginACTIONPhotography

12 years 4 months ago #172565 by Henry Peach
My first DSLR was a Canon 20D. A few days before I bought it I was firmly Death-Before-Digital, and had the money earmarked for a mint condition Graflex RB Super D . But that was before a lab mishap damaged several rolls of medium format film from a wedding I'd shot. Frustrated with the disappearance of the high quality film services I was used to (I did all my own BW, but needed a lab for C-41), I decided that maybe I should stop resisting digital. At least for my photography business it made more sense than a 4x5 SLR. I vowed to continue shooting film, and working in my darkroom with my personal projects. I was sure I was going to hate my fancy, new-fangled camera.

But it turned out that I loved it! A couple of years later I bought a 5D, which is very similar to the 20D as far as control/menu layout goes, so it felt like the same camera. After I hung large prints from the 5D next to large prints from medium format Tmax-100 I knew I was done with film. Both the 20D and 5D will always be classics in my mind.
12 years 4 months ago #172580 by geoffellis
Ironically i bought a Nikon Film SLR... an F65 or something along those lines... realized how much developing film was going to cost me... and returned it for an advanced digital point+shoot as nikon didnt have any advanced consumer DSLR's.

but when i finally got my D80... i was happy with it. no returns. although 6 months later they released the D90:/ fml LOL
12 years 4 months ago #172750 by Mah and PaH
You kidding me? I couldn't set the thing down. The camera was ALWAYS with me

12 years 4 months ago #172790 by Joves
Well my first Dslr was the D50, my cousin has it and it is still going strong. Kind of regret giving it to him but I love my D300 so it is okay.

12 years 4 months ago #172798 by mj~shutterbugg
I bought my first DSLR when working at a camera store- the Canon 10D. I just upgraded- massively- to the 5Dmii. I notice and HATE the focus issues Ninja spoke of. When I seriously notice it, taking snapshots of my kids, they move fast. So I know I'd have issues with fast wildlife, and have with butterflies. I should have done more research into it, but if I do manual focus I am golden. The camera forces me to get better at things I let slide, like MF. I am happy with the switch to digital and love my camera. Yes it has a bug, a big one, but I am learning to move around that.

Think Off-Center ~ George Carlin
www.mjbrennanphoto.com

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024

The Canon 1DX Mark III is a big, burly professional camera packed with top-end features. Is it worth the investment in 2024? Find out in this detailed review!

Mar 04, 2024

In the OM-1 vs OM-5 debate, which camera comes out on top? Though they’re different cameras for different purposes, comparing them head to head clarifies which is best for your needs.

Mar 01, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Opening a photography business means undertaking various photography marketing strategies to promote your work. But you don’t want to do the same old thing - try these unique ideas!

Mar 22, 2024

The Canon EOS 80D might be a few years old, but it’s nevertheless a quality camera to invest in as a beginner or enthusiast looking for a mid-range DSLR with tons of lens options.

Mar 22, 2024

Wedding consultations are a critical part of a wedding photography gig. It’s when you learn about the couple and their wants, and present them with how you will meet those desires.

Mar 22, 2024

If you're looking for the best metal print of 2023, you'll find it from Artbeat Studios. After months of testing, Artbeat Studios beat out the competition!

Mar 21, 2024

Getting the best video shots on your camera or smartphone requires you to understand the fundamentals of composition and video editing. It helps to have the appropriate gear, too!

Mar 20, 2024

It’s easy to lose your inspiration behind the lens, especially as a beginner. These creative photography projects can help inspire you to try new techniques and improve your photos.

Mar 20, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024