Black Rapid Knock off's

12 years 4 months ago #172228 by Dragonflies
This just amazes me how close in design these are reproduced to the original Black Rapid straps. Don't people have any originality these days? Clearly just looking to make a buck.

I'm honestly disgusted about how copy cat these are.

"Quick Strap"

Black Rapid:

Quick Strap:

Black Rapid:

12 years 4 months ago #172235 by senmar
I'm not really sure why you are upset. This world is full of the same ideas, same products just different companies selling them. Just like Person A invented a camera, Person B, said to himself, that is an awesome idea lets see if I can create a camera and so he did. And so on....

12 years 4 months ago #172244 by Dragonflies

senmar wrote: I'm not really sure why you are upset. This world is full of the same ideas, same products just different companies selling them. Just like Person A invented a camera, Person B, said to himself, that is an awesome idea lets see if I can create a camera and so he did. And so on....

You seem to be missing the picture here. This is a obvious knock off with no originality to it. Nothing was changed. At least when "Person B" decided to create a camera, the look was changed, the firmware was changed. The above is just to close IMHO.

12 years 4 months ago #172340 by KenMan
Boy those do look very alike, especially the logos! :huh:

Photo Comments
12 years 4 months ago - 12 years 4 months ago #172414 by Alex

KenMan wrote: Boy those do look very alike, especially the logos! :huh:

:agree: No kidding... down to the white frame around the orange letter :blink:

Black Rapid makes a nice strap system, I'd bet the knock off is no where near the quality of the original Black Rapid.

Thank you for making PhotographyTalk.com your photography community of choice.
Photo Comments
12 years 4 months ago #172424 by geoffellis

Dragonflies wrote: the firmware was changed.

I could be wrong... but cameras didnt have "firmware" for a very long time. it was atleast person Z before digital even became considered... :P

but anyways this is just an example of consumerism. if someone can take something and make it at 1/5 of the cost and sell it at a slight discount, without the cost of r&d then youre going to make a lot more money, faster.

as far as im concerned... take a look a toshiba, dell, compaq, hp, emachines... and so on... they are all selling identical products... putting their own brand on it and selling it as their own. there is really no difference... they just try to undercut each other on prices.
12 years 4 months ago - 12 years 4 months ago #172431 by Baydream
So many people, especially in certain "emerging" economies, flaunt patent laws (or just barely skirt them) to sell inferior products made by slave labor at cheap prices. Alex is right about the quality. Not sure what patents BR has but sometimes battling for those rights is incredibly expensive and time-consuming when it crosses international lines.

Buy "real", get "real".

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
12 years 4 months ago #172437 by Screamin Scott
It doesn't bother me that much either...The answer lies in the quality though. Even though something is a "Knock off" doesn't mean it is of inferior quality...If the quality is there & the price is less, I'll buy it. (as a matter of fact I have one of these Q straps & it is good quality merchandise). My peeve is when you have a manufacturer who sets price controls on their goods so that no one can sell it for any less than what they deem it to sell for. Sony & Apple are notorious for this...That's why I have a PC & not a Mac. That & also proprietary batteries & accessories as well. They want to corner markets & control pricing for utmost profit.

Scott Ditzel Photography

www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/

Photo Comments
12 years 4 months ago #172444 by Camera Diva
I'm sorry but how can that not bother you? They are trying to trick people to buy their product thinking it's another?

At the beginning of time there was absolutely nothing. And then it exploded! - Terry Pratchett
Photo Comments
12 years 4 months ago #172446 by Baydream

Screamin Scott wrote: It doesn't bother me that much either...The answer lies in the quality though. Even though something is a "Knock off" doesn't mean it is of inferior quality...If the quality is there & the price is less, I'll buy it. (as a matter of fact I have one of these Q straps & it is good quality merchandise). My peeve is when you have a manufacturer who sets price controls on their goods so that no one can sell it for any less than what they deem it to sell for. Sony & Apple are notorious for this...That's why I have a PC & not a Mac. That & also proprietary batteries & accessories as well. They want to corner markets & control pricing for utmost profit.

Most price control companies do bother me. They force retailers not to sell at "discount" princes. Some only do that for advertised prices and you can get the "real" price "in the basket".
Years ago we had the same price control issues with Maytag and RCA appliances. Today Maytag has been bought out (and is crap in my opinion) and RCA TVs are no more.
Proprietary software and hardware are another story. I ALWAYS review the price of printer inks when recommending ink jet printers. The cheapest printers often have the most expensive inks and the total cost of ownership is higher. I would love to consider getting a Subaru but the parts/maintenance are very high.
I have Zeikos extension tubes and battery grip that work beautifully and were half the price of Canon and Kenkos. My Zeikos flash unit went "south" on me after 10 months (one year limited warranty) and when I contacted them, they sent a new one no questions asked (no return of orig unit, no request for receipt). If the quality is there, why not.
Glad to hear your quality is good with the Q.

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
12 years 4 months ago #172599 by WichWerk
I say, if the product works and it's within my budget I don't care who makes it.

12 years 4 months ago #172739 by Photobrad
Santa is suppose to be bringing me one of the Black Rapid straps for Christmas :)

12 years 4 months ago #173101 by Meskill

Camera Diva wrote: I'm sorry but how can that not bother you? They are trying to trick people to buy their product thinking it's another?

:agree: this bothers me also. To many people running to China to knock off stuff, and at the end of the day, it's the consumer that pays the toll.

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024

The Canon 1DX Mark III is a big, burly professional camera packed with top-end features. Is it worth the investment in 2024? Find out in this detailed review!

Mar 04, 2024

In the OM-1 vs OM-5 debate, which camera comes out on top? Though they’re different cameras for different purposes, comparing them head to head clarifies which is best for your needs.

Mar 01, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Time management is a critical skill to master when you’re a photographer. But how do you get the most out of the limited time you have? Check out this guide to learn a few tricks!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Opening a photography business means undertaking various photography marketing strategies to promote your work. But you don’t want to do the same old thing - try these unique ideas!

Mar 22, 2024

The Canon EOS 80D might be a few years old, but it’s nevertheless a quality camera to invest in as a beginner or enthusiast looking for a mid-range DSLR with tons of lens options.

Mar 22, 2024

Wedding consultations are a critical part of a wedding photography gig. It’s when you learn about the couple and their wants, and present them with how you will meet those desires.

Mar 22, 2024

If you're looking for the best metal print of 2023, you'll find it from Artbeat Studios. After months of testing, Artbeat Studios beat out the competition!

Mar 21, 2024

Getting the best video shots on your camera or smartphone requires you to understand the fundamentals of composition and video editing. It helps to have the appropriate gear, too!

Mar 20, 2024

It’s easy to lose your inspiration behind the lens, especially as a beginner. These creative photography projects can help inspire you to try new techniques and improve your photos.

Mar 20, 2024