who owns the pictures?

12 years 4 months ago #175361 by steveheap
Interesting link! Thanks for that.

Do we all agree now - the person who presses the shutter owns the copyright?

Steve

My Stock Photo Blog
www.backyardsilver.com

12 years 4 months ago #175453 by icepics
That seems to be the consensus and what makes sense. Borrowing seems comparable to renting equipment, I would think whoever took the photo would own the copyright. Except as mentioned if you're getting paid to take photos for someone (such as a sports team), then they would own the copyright I believe.

If someone really needs to know I'd think they'd need to look into it further - check the websites of some of the professional photographers organizations or look up info. on registering a copyright, etc.

Sharon
Photo Comments
12 years 4 months ago #175486 by Joves

Gary Trent photography wrote: You do .... no questions.
If someone else takes pix on your equipment the THEY own it.
There are many sites to look into.
Just Google "copyright"

Not necessarily. Here is where it is not the case. IF you are hired by another photographer to use his equipment at an event then he owns the photos shot. Also if you are an intern or assistant despite not being paid using their equipment they most likely own the photos. Now if you are using a friends camera then they are yours.

12 years 4 months ago #176269 by DJ Tangeman
Excellent thread... but the bottom line is the creator of the image holds the copy write with a few exceptions. If hired and compensated for time and service, without PRIOR written agreement, the employer holds the copy write, period. If the image was obtained illegally, as in trespassing on private property.

ALL of my contracts have wording that states I retain all rights unless otherwise declared for the work to be performed and agreed to by the contract. If the customer (temporary employer) wants the rights then compensation is agreed to PRIOR to any work being performed. They have been vetted in court and even GM couldn't break them :) And I always work off of my contract, not the customers, use the one that protects you as an artist!

Point being is that regardless of what you think the job at hand is, have a contract that spells out your rights to the work, length of those rights, cost to release those rights; and by all means have a lawyer be the one to draw up the contract....it will pay for itself many times over.

Namaste'

DJ

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024