Professional photographers need to start looking at other careers

11 years 10 months ago #229206 by Scotty

fotomatt wrote: (I am a working professional since 1978 and photography educator since 1995)

This has been an issue since the dawn of photography. In 1891, when Eastman Kodak introduced the box camera, photographers everywhere declared the end of "professional photography." But that did not happen.

In 1976 when Canon brought camera advertising to television (Canon AE-1) it put advanced 35mm photography into the hands of amateurs everywhere. And professional photographers cried, "it's the end of professional photography." But that did not happen.

Jump to now...

Digital photography brought all new capabilities to my work as a professional (I went full digital in 2003/04). But this time, I believe, digital photography has brought the end to many of us working professionally. It was not just digital cameras which did this. The entire spectrum of how we take, access and share photography changed. We lost many outlets for paid work, from "iReporters" to the Weather Channel to newsprint; the new model changed to "send us your photos" and overnight everything changed.

I have enjoyed 30 + years award-winning photographer - from photojournalism to a profitable consumer-based business. In the last few years I have watched my business tank. It was not a matter of marketing any longer (as some would lead you to believe). It came down to dollars and sense. That "sense" being the lack of business sense by new photographers entering the marketplace.

In the 90s I served on the Board of ASMP Colorado for many years. We tried over and over to get schools to add a solid business module. Not a single one saw the need for teaching emerging photographers how to run a business. But business aside, the ease and availability of digital photography has forever changed the business in ways we could not have dreamt of (nightmares, that is).

I have pared my photography business down significantly, cutting out the areas in which un-educated photographers have toasted for good. These include any type of family portraits, reunions, corporate and convention photography and wedding photojournalism. I am focused almost entirely upon dog photography.

Consumer based photogs are not alone. I continue to have dialogues with (now) former photojournalists who have watched the business of news photography get handed out to "send-us-your-pictures" amateurs, staff writers with an iPhone and the like. As the face of journalism continues to change the need for qualified photojournalists will continue to wither on the vine.

There are very few areas of photography which have not been affected. I urge my students to consider this very, very carefully when making plans to become a professional photographer. Most graduates from photography programs can take their place in the employment line beside and behind the MBAs!

Regards from Colorado...

Matthew Eric Lit
photographer & photography educator
And, of course, you can find me on facebook (how ironic :slapface: )

There's just more people trying to do it now. A lot aren't cut out. If your work is good enough, you know marketing, and can run a business...you'll do quite fine.

When the last candle has been blown out
and the last glass of champagne has been drunk
All that you are left with are the memories and the images-David Cooke.

Photo Comments
11 years 10 months ago #229228 by Joves

Scotty wrote:

fotomatt wrote: (I am a working professional since 1978 and photography educator since 1995)

This has been an issue since the dawn of photography. In 1891, when Eastman Kodak introduced the box camera, photographers everywhere declared the end of "professional photography." But that did not happen.

In 1976 when Canon brought camera advertising to television (Canon AE-1) it put advanced 35mm photography into the hands of amateurs everywhere. And professional photographers cried, "it's the end of professional photography." But that did not happen.

Jump to now...

Digital photography brought all new capabilities to my work as a professional (I went full digital in 2003/04). But this time, I believe, digital photography has brought the end to many of us working professionally. It was not just digital cameras which did this. The entire spectrum of how we take, access and share photography changed. We lost many outlets for paid work, from "iReporters" to the Weather Channel to newsprint; the new model changed to "send us your photos" and overnight everything changed.

I have enjoyed 30 + years award-winning photographer - from photojournalism to a profitable consumer-based business. In the last few years I have watched my business tank. It was not a matter of marketing any longer (as some would lead you to believe). It came down to dollars and sense. That "sense" being the lack of business sense by new photographers entering the marketplace.

In the 90s I served on the Board of ASMP Colorado for many years. We tried over and over to get schools to add a solid business module. Not a single one saw the need for teaching emerging photographers how to run a business. But business aside, the ease and availability of digital photography has forever changed the business in ways we could not have dreamt of (nightmares, that is).

I have pared my photography business down significantly, cutting out the areas in which un-educated photographers have toasted for good. These include any type of family portraits, reunions, corporate and convention photography and wedding photojournalism. I am focused almost entirely upon dog photography.

Consumer based photogs are not alone. I continue to have dialogues with (now) former photojournalists who have watched the business of news photography get handed out to "send-us-your-pictures" amateurs, staff writers with an iPhone and the like. As the face of journalism continues to change the need for qualified photojournalists will continue to wither on the vine.

There are very few areas of photography which have not been affected. I urge my students to consider this very, very carefully when making plans to become a professional photographer. Most graduates from photography programs can take their place in the employment line beside and behind the MBAs!

Regards from Colorado...

Matthew Eric Lit

There's just more people trying to do it now. A lot aren't cut out. If your work is good enough, you know marketing, and can run a business...you'll do quite fine.

I agree that when the brownies came out the pros of that time said it was the demise of making a living from it. Fact is I was going to make that point as well. Some pros have this elitist attitude about the business and actually show insecurity when they make such statements. I have met a few who have always complained about the latest cameras that come out, this was very true when the SLRs went to electronic settings and AF. Being a hobbyist I always saw this as sour grapes and still do. If your work is very good then guess what you dont have to worry, if your service is top notch, and your attitude is not one of your own greatness, then you will do fine. Also when the electronic cameras came out, I never got one because I did not need it, not because I thought it was a bad thing to come out.

11 years 10 months ago #229263 by Stealthy Ninja

Scotty wrote:

Jump to now...

Regards from Colorado...

Matthew Eric Lit

11 years 10 months ago #229298 by Happy-pixel
Just Market yourself better, advertise, advertise and advertise. Oh and invest into your education, look professional all the time and give the client the best product. To many people are lazy out there and will fall short somewhere along that line. Thats where you pass them.

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024