How to shoot an unattractive person?

12 years 4 months ago #177516 by Joe Somebody
I don't want to sound mean but, what do you do when you know you have to shoot an unattractive person. A rude person. A mean person. An overweight person. A person that just wants to run you all over the studio digging out props and telling you the way it's going to be. How do you post process on this type of photo shoot?. Any differently?

12 years 4 months ago #177520 by Amyny56
I don't really shoot portraits, but maybe go all out on the skin smoothing if they have bad acne or something. Also, if they're ugly they may be more self conscious and look to you, the photographer, for guidance on how to pose, how to be beautiful. Don't see it as a bad thing, see it as a good thing. That you can make this person become attractive.

12 years 4 months ago #177521 by john_m
There are certain angles you can shoot from to make a "larger" person appear less large. As to people being rude/mean and just general a-holes.......I would show them the door....

Nikon D200
Nikon 50mm f1.8D, Tokina 28-80 f2.8, Nikon 75-300, Sigma 18-200, Nikon SB-600, Nikon SB-25, Promaster triggers

12 years 4 months ago #177525 by Dr. Docter
I never allow anyone to take control over the session. This is particularly easy to maintain in the studio... on my own turf. But no matter where I'm working, it's my job, my responsibility and I call the shots. Nothing happens that I don't allow.
Find the light and angle that is most flattering to them. Start with established head and torso positions and move from there. Some people love retouched images and others won't.

12 years 4 months ago #177526 by Joe Somebody
Thanks for the tips. I don't have a current shoot with anyone who is rude or ugly, but I wanted to know what to do before I get myself into that kind of situation.

12 years 4 months ago #177527 by KCook
From a distance . . . (thank goodness I don't do that for a living :dry: )

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

12 years 4 months ago #177536 by john_m

Joe Somebody wrote: Thanks for the tips. I don't have a current shoot with anyone who is rude or ugly, but I wanted to know what to do before I get myself into that kind of situation.

You can start here..
www.digital-photography-school.com/6-tip...raphing-large-people

Nikon D200
Nikon 50mm f1.8D, Tokina 28-80 f2.8, Nikon 75-300, Sigma 18-200, Nikon SB-600, Nikon SB-25, Promaster triggers

12 years 4 months ago #177538 by Maria21
For larger people, it's all about the lighting & angles. Most don't like their stomachs showing. Check out posing books, look at magazines or web site geared toward larger sized clothing... these models are usually in poses that downplay their size.

For less attractive people go for the emotion invoking image. Look for an image that tell their story. Once you have talked to these people a little bit you get a sense of who they are & what they have endured, then you can capture a great shot.

here is an example I posted before of my sister who is a rather large woman.

Zerfing's Photographic Imaging
Attachments:
12 years 4 months ago #177697 by effron

KCook wrote: From a distance . . . (thank goodness I don't do that for a living :dry: )

Just what I was thinking, and maybe with an IR filter on lens?...........:whistle:

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
12 years 4 months ago #177707 by Joves

effron wrote:

KCook wrote: From a distance . . . (thank goodness I don't do that for a living :dry: )

Just what I was thinking, and maybe with an IR filter on lens?...........:whistle:

I was thinking with my .308 from 500 meters but, I digress.
Unattractive people Maria covered it. For rude people and the bossy I say good bye then. Ruse, bossy and mean people will most likely stiff you when it comes time to pay or never be satisfied anyhow so why even deal with them.

12 years 4 months ago #177708 by KCook

effron wrote:

Izzat how your avatar was shot? :silly:

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

12 years 4 months ago - 12 years 4 months ago #177738 by Stealthy Ninja
LOTS of Vaseline™ on the lens. ;)

I think it's been mentioned above. It's about the angles.

Also different poses can make people look thinner (turning sideways sometimes works).

Then there's photoshop! :thumbsup:
12 years 4 months ago #177747 by Silver Fox

Maria21 wrote: For larger people, it's all about the lighting & angles. Most don't like their stomachs showing. Check out posing books, look at magazines or web site geared toward larger sized clothing... these models are usually in poses that downplay their size.

For less attractive people go for the emotion invoking image. Look for an image that tell their story. Once you have talked to these people a little bit you get a sense of who they are & what they have endured, then you can capture a great shot.

here is an example I posted before of my sister who is a rather large woman.

I've taken this approach with some of my clients also

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024