How do you charge you camera's batteries when your camping?

10 years 9 months ago #181629 by MYoung
No car, no electricity, how do you do it?

Photo Comments

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

10 years 9 months ago #181636 by Dori
Maybe take extra batteries fully charged. :)

Don't pi$$ me off, I am running out of room to store the bodies...

Resident Texasotan...

10 years 9 months ago #181640 by Nikonjan
Just curious, if you don't have a car or vehicle, how did you get to where are camping? My friends that spent a couple weeks in Africa, bought a lot of batteries and charged them and compact flash cards since they knew they woudn't be near electricity. That is very expensive though. Wonder if a generator would work, but then you may not have one of those either?

www.betterphoto.com?nikonjan

10 years 9 months ago - 10 years 9 months ago #181691 by geoffellis
batteries by design are charged by electricity. If you dont have any method of generating an electric current then you cannot charge a battery.

So to answer your question. You cannot charge batteries without electricity.

10 years 9 months ago #181699 by Joves
I have three batteries for my D300 so they go fully charged. They do make a solar film that you can put on your tent or where ever to get electricity for charging things. You might google it under solar film.

10 years 9 months ago #181707 by Baydream
Solar chargers are available that can charge your batteries.
Lots of choices including some built nto backpacks.
www.google.com/search?q=solar+chargers+f...ial&client=firefox-a

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments

10 years 9 months ago #181737 by Bob Eaton

Baydream wrote: Solar chargers are available that can charge your batteries.

:thumbsup:

Nothing is Beatleproof!!!!!!!!!

10 years 9 months ago #181760 by Rob pix4u2
Is it cheaper to buy extra batteries or the solar charger ?

Remember to engage brain before putting mouth in gear
Rob Huelsman Sr.
My Facebook www.facebook.com/ImaginACTIONPhotography

10 years 9 months ago #181833 by MYoung

Baydream wrote: Solar chargers are available that can charge your batteries.

This is what I'm looking for. Regarding the other questions here. We go on long hikes into camp sites which is why there are no cars or electricity. Some times we have even gone via mountain bikes too, it does depend on the group we are with.

Thank you all

Photo Comments

10 years 9 months ago #181845 by robbie

MYoung wrote: No car, no electricity, how do you do it?

How many shots will you taking?You should have at least one back up battery,so two batteries should give you enough shots.I carries 6 batteries with me when I go shooting at parks[2 cameras].
With cheap cards available you should be able to shoot all the images you want and still have unused cards with lot of battery power available.Don`t spend your money on the camera and lenses and forsake the cards and batteries.
Hope you are enjoying your photograhy :cheers:

10 years 9 months ago #181846 by MYoung

robbie wrote:

MYoung wrote: No car, no electricity, how do you do it?

How many shots will you taking?You should have at least one back up battery,so two batteries should give you enough shots.I carries 6 batteries with me when I go shooting at parks[2 cameras].
With cheap cards available you should be able to shoot all the images you want and still have unused cards with lot of battery power available.Don`t spend your money on the camera and lenses and forsake the cards and batteries.
Hope you are enjoying your photograhy :cheers:

I have no idea how many photos I will be taking. Being somewhat very new to photography I find myself taking a lot of photos for practice. I was just curious what others might do when they are out in camping environment for long time. Think it's time to get some more batteries.

And yes I'm enjoying photography very much!

Photo Comments

10 years 9 months ago #181870 by mattmoran
Not sure how long you plan to be out and in what circumstances, but one thing you might consider is buying an 80s era 35mm slr. They either require no battery at all or the battery controlling the meter & shutter will last for months. Of course you will have to get the film developed and scanned at the end of your trip, and you won't have the instant confirmation that your pictures are properly exposed, etc. But if I were planning a 3 week backpacking trip in the high sierras (for example) that's what I'd do.

-Matt

10 years 9 months ago #181892 by Moe
I would just go with the solar recharger

Photo Comments

10 years 9 months ago #181944 by Stealthy Ninja
Personally I use troll physics.

I'd assume the options are these:
Car battery charging
Solar (or alternative "natural" power creating device) charging
More batteries
Less photography.

10 years 9 months ago #181995 by icepics
Matt M, I was thinking along the same lines, that an all-mechanical camera would be an option, but that's mostly what I use anyway. Certainly would eliminate any need to recharge batteries.

Sharon
Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Panasonic Lumix FZ300 is an older camera, but has modern capabilities like 4K video that make it a great option for today's photographers.

Sep 13, 2022

The Sony Alpha 7c mirrorless digital camera is a compact full frame rig that is an excellent introduction to shooting with a full frame body.

Aug 25, 2022

In this Sony Alpha a6000 mirrorless digital camera review, get the scoop on this camera's specs and features, and learn why it's a great beginner camera.

Jul 05, 2022

The Nikon Z FC specs are quite impressive, and when paired with the retro-style body, you get a fun and capable camera for enthusiast shooters.

May 31, 2022

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Our 2022 list of the best gifts for photographers under $1,000 includes everything from cameras to bags to data backups. Check the list and start shopping!

Sep 29, 2022

The metal vs canvas prints debate is an interesting one. Which type is best for your photos? In this guide, we give you several criteria to help you decide.

Sep 28, 2022

The Canon EOS RP specs don’t compare to high-end full frame cameras. However, this camera is still well-equipped and is a great buy for entry-level shooters.

Sep 27, 2022

A modern wall art display is a beautiful addition to a home or business. In this beginner tutorial, learn some quick and simple tips for creating a display

Sep 26, 2022

The new GoPro Hero 11 look exactly like its predecessor, but under the hood are a ton of changes, including a new sensor, that make the Hero 11 a major upgrade.

Sep 22, 2022

You can get a portrait print in any size you like, on various papers, and in multiple orientations. The question is, what’s best for your particular image?

Sep 21, 2022

By using wholesale photography products, you can offer your clients beautiful products and give them more choice while giving yourself room for a nice profit.

Sep 21, 2022

A lens pouch offers advantages over a camera bag, including easy access to gear for quick shots. In this guide, learn more about the benefits of lens pouches.

Sep 19, 2022