How do you charge you camera's batteries when your camping?

12 years 3 months ago #181629 by MYoung
No car, no electricity, how do you do it?

Photo Comments
12 years 3 months ago #181636 by Dori
Maybe take extra batteries fully charged. :)

Don't pi$$ me off, I am running out of room to store the bodies...

Resident Texasotan...

12 years 3 months ago #181640 by Nikonjan
Just curious, if you don't have a car or vehicle, how did you get to where are camping? My friends that spent a couple weeks in Africa, bought a lot of batteries and charged them and compact flash cards since they knew they woudn't be near electricity. That is very expensive though. Wonder if a generator would work, but then you may not have one of those either?

www.betterphoto.com?nikonjan
12 years 3 months ago - 12 years 3 months ago #181691 by geoffellis
batteries by design are charged by electricity. If you dont have any method of generating an electric current then you cannot charge a battery.

So to answer your question. You cannot charge batteries without electricity.
12 years 3 months ago #181699 by Joves
I have three batteries for my D300 so they go fully charged. They do make a solar film that you can put on your tent or where ever to get electricity for charging things. You might google it under solar film.

12 years 3 months ago #181707 by Baydream
Solar chargers are available that can charge your batteries.
Lots of choices including some built nto backpacks.
www.google.com/search?q=solar+chargers+f...ial&client=firefox-a

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
12 years 3 months ago #181737 by Bob Eaton

Baydream wrote: Solar chargers are available that can charge your batteries.

:thumbsup:

Nothing is Beatleproof!!!!!!!!!
12 years 3 months ago #181760 by Rob pix4u2
Is it cheaper to buy extra batteries or the solar charger ?

Remember to engage brain before putting mouth in gear
Rob Huelsman Sr.
My Facebook www.facebook.com/ImaginACTIONPhotography

12 years 3 months ago #181833 by MYoung

Baydream wrote: Solar chargers are available that can charge your batteries.

This is what I'm looking for. Regarding the other questions here. We go on long hikes into camp sites which is why there are no cars or electricity. Some times we have even gone via mountain bikes too, it does depend on the group we are with.

Thank you all

Photo Comments
12 years 3 months ago #181845 by robbie

MYoung wrote: No car, no electricity, how do you do it?

How many shots will you taking?You should have at least one back up battery,so two batteries should give you enough shots.I carries 6 batteries with me when I go shooting at parks[2 cameras].
With cheap cards available you should be able to shoot all the images you want and still have unused cards with lot of battery power available.Don`t spend your money on the camera and lenses and forsake the cards and batteries.
Hope you are enjoying your photograhy :cheers:

12 years 3 months ago #181846 by MYoung

robbie wrote:

MYoung wrote: No car, no electricity, how do you do it?

How many shots will you taking?You should have at least one back up battery,so two batteries should give you enough shots.I carries 6 batteries with me when I go shooting at parks[2 cameras].
With cheap cards available you should be able to shoot all the images you want and still have unused cards with lot of battery power available.Don`t spend your money on the camera and lenses and forsake the cards and batteries.
Hope you are enjoying your photograhy :cheers:

I have no idea how many photos I will be taking. Being somewhat very new to photography I find myself taking a lot of photos for practice. I was just curious what others might do when they are out in camping environment for long time. Think it's time to get some more batteries.

And yes I'm enjoying photography very much!

Photo Comments
12 years 3 months ago #181870 by mattmoran
Not sure how long you plan to be out and in what circumstances, but one thing you might consider is buying an 80s era 35mm slr. They either require no battery at all or the battery controlling the meter & shutter will last for months. Of course you will have to get the film developed and scanned at the end of your trip, and you won't have the instant confirmation that your pictures are properly exposed, etc. But if I were planning a 3 week backpacking trip in the high sierras (for example) that's what I'd do.

-Matt
12 years 3 months ago #181892 by Moe
I would just go with the solar recharger

Photo Comments
12 years 3 months ago #181944 by Stealthy Ninja
Personally I use troll physics.

I'd assume the options are these:
Car battery charging
Solar (or alternative "natural" power creating device) charging
More batteries
Less photography.
12 years 3 months ago #181995 by icepics
Matt M, I was thinking along the same lines, that an all-mechanical camera would be an option, but that's mostly what I use anyway. Certainly would eliminate any need to recharge batteries.

Sharon
Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024

The Canon 1DX Mark III is a big, burly professional camera packed with top-end features. Is it worth the investment in 2024? Find out in this detailed review!

Mar 04, 2024

In the OM-1 vs OM-5 debate, which camera comes out on top? Though they’re different cameras for different purposes, comparing them head to head clarifies which is best for your needs.

Mar 01, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Time management is a critical skill to master when you’re a photographer. But how do you get the most out of the limited time you have? Check out this guide to learn a few tricks!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Opening a photography business means undertaking various photography marketing strategies to promote your work. But you don’t want to do the same old thing - try these unique ideas!

Mar 22, 2024

The Canon EOS 80D might be a few years old, but it’s nevertheless a quality camera to invest in as a beginner or enthusiast looking for a mid-range DSLR with tons of lens options.

Mar 22, 2024

Wedding consultations are a critical part of a wedding photography gig. It’s when you learn about the couple and their wants, and present them with how you will meet those desires.

Mar 22, 2024

If you're looking for the best metal print of 2023, you'll find it from Artbeat Studios. After months of testing, Artbeat Studios beat out the competition!

Mar 21, 2024

Getting the best video shots on your camera or smartphone requires you to understand the fundamentals of composition and video editing. It helps to have the appropriate gear, too!

Mar 20, 2024

It’s easy to lose your inspiration behind the lens, especially as a beginner. These creative photography projects can help inspire you to try new techniques and improve your photos.

Mar 20, 2024