Lens cap tether?

12 years 3 months ago #182311 by DJMarcus
I'm always losing my lens caps. Does anyone make a tether that goes around the lens it self?

12 years 3 months ago #182314 by Stealthy Ninja
Why don't you get into the habit of always putting it in your front right (or left) pocket when you take it off. Then when you want to put it back on you always know where it is?

I do this and I've never lost a cap.

Tethers can be bought online I'm sure, but personally I'd not bother it'll just dangle there and get in the way all the time.
12 years 3 months ago #182338 by DJMarcus
I know what your saying, believe me every time I meet up with my photography buddies they are saying the same thing. :rofl: :rofl:

12 years 3 months ago #182347 by Rob pix4u2
I have a lens cap tether on my wifes' camera for the same reason- it's made by Promaster. I bought it a long time ago though at CORD CAMERA in Ohio

Remember to engage brain before putting mouth in gear
Rob Huelsman Sr.
My Facebook www.facebook.com/ImaginACTIONPhotography

12 years 3 months ago #182351 by Stealthy Ninja

DJMarcus wrote: I know what your saying, believe me every time I meet up with my photography buddies they are saying the same thing. :rofl: :rofl:

Well in that case:
1. Did you try? (no offense, just wondering).
2. You can probably get a tether to attach to your strap and then it wouldn't be in the way so much?
3. How about velcro?
12 years 3 months ago #182355 by DJMarcus
Velcro... good idea :thumbsup:

12 years 3 months ago #182372 by icepics
I do what Adrian does, left pocket. But I've still over the years managed to have some bounce off into oblivion. I tried a tether and personally hated the thing, but it could be a good option (it dangling off the lens was what I didn't like).

If I ever lose another lens cap, I guess for me it'll mean finding an inexpensive replacement (online or hunting thru a bin at a camera swap). KEH has some, so does Overland Photo (but you'd have to call or email in your order, they don't have online ordering). Or the usual sources like Adorama probably carry them.

Rob, Cord may sell them online, I haven't looked at their site lately; when I went in recently it had been awhile and they'd really changed what merchandise they have in-store.

Sharon
Photo Comments
12 years 3 months ago #182397 by Baydream
On one of my orders to B&H, I added a couple of extra caps ($7-10) just in case.

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
12 years 3 months ago #182430 by Maria21
you can get the Quantaray CK-2 Lens Cap keeper leash for 1.99 USD from Ritz Camera & they work well. I have one on my zoom. but on a kit lens it tends to bang against your hand & get in the way.
Here is what they look like..

Zerfing's Photographic Imaging
Attachments:
12 years 3 months ago #182524 by Watson
I place my lens cap either in my pocket or in my camera bag. Although I have once lost a cap from my coat pocket. I was getting my gloves out and the cap must have came out with the gloves, because when I wanted the cap, it wasn't there.

12 years 3 months ago #182529 by Henry Peach
There are tethers available as well as some good DIY options. I like the velcro to the the camera strap idea! I tried a tether a long time ago, but found the dangling cap annoying. Especially with the bigger caps.

I do pretty good just sticking them in my pocket, although I do lose them occasionally. I usually replace my Canon caps with Tamron caps as soon as I buy a new lens, so I have a back-up anyway. The Tamron caps are cheap, and they have center buttons, which I like better than side buttons.
12 years 3 months ago #182572 by geoffellis
i hate tethers. even on my DMC-LX5 (p&s) i always found it to get in the way.

Im with the others though. I have a pocket system. Anything i often keep on me has a fixed pocket. Such as wallet front right, work keys front left, house keys front right, cell back left, knife back right.... and so on... lens caps included.

Call me anal but Ive never lost a lens cap. although on a few occasions when wearing a jacket (dont wear jackets often...), ive put them in my jacket pocket and confused myself when i reached into my pants pockets and didnt find em :rofl:
12 years 3 months ago #182640 by Moossmann
I always just place mine in my front pocket

Photo Comments
12 years 3 months ago #182645 by yonders
For me, the best place would be my shirt pocket.

D Man

'Goan [not Gone] in the desert' (",).

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024

Self-critique is an important component of your journey to improving as a photographer. Use these simple tips about critiquing your work as a means to make faster progress with your art.

Apr 08, 2024