First...

12 years 3 months ago #183129 by butterflygirl921
Im booking my first indoor portrait session!!! I am way excited I just dont know what to charge as far as like printed packages and that any suggestions?

12 years 3 months ago #183153 by Stealthy Ninja
Printing can be a pain in the butt. Which is why my website is set up to take print orders automatically (I don't need to do anything).

Anyhoo... you can do this two ways IMHO.

1. Charge a small fee for the portrait session (cover costs and a little in your pocket). Then charge per photo/file (so they only pay for what they like).
2. Charge more for the session and give them a certain amount of files/prints for free.

How much to charge depends on your skills and how rich they are. ;)
12 years 3 months ago #183158 by john_m
No idea on the pricing part, like already said it depends on your skills. But either way, congrats to you.

Nikon D200
Nikon 50mm f1.8D, Tokina 28-80 f2.8, Nikon 75-300, Sigma 18-200, Nikon SB-600, Nikon SB-25, Promaster triggers

12 years 3 months ago #183217 by icepics
You could get an idea on pricing and other business aspects of photography from professional photography organizations like ASMP and others (I got a handbook from ASMP with info. and sample forms for photography business). At some point you'd need to determine how you'd be accepting payments, do record keeping, get a vendor's license, handle taxes, etc.

I think pricing according to skill level implies that your photos aren't good enough to charge the going rate for portraits in your area. You might see what websites you can find for portrait photographers in the area and see what they charge for various packages. Looking at their photo galleries/portfolios would give you an idea what type work others do and what pricing they use.

Sharon
Photo Comments
12 years 3 months ago #183301 by athday00
Congrats!
Since it's your first, I would only charge a small amount. Or better yet, don't charge at all, however have the client pay for the prints (mark the prints up a little bit so at least you make some kind of $)

12 years 3 months ago #183355 by butterflygirl921
Thank you guys! I am really nervous about it. I don't want to charge them that much because it's my co-workers family but i can't ust do the prints for free.

12 years 3 months ago #183359 by icepics
If it's friends or family that seems more informal than a paid session, I've done that at cost or a lower amount than usual. Maybe figure out your expenses to help you come up with a fair amount. Doing something like this can be a good way to get started.

Sharon
Photo Comments
12 years 3 months ago #183700 by Hogan
After the shoot, give us a sneak peak of our the photos. Would love to see them. Good Luck. :thumbsup:

12 years 3 months ago #183764 by butterflygirl921

Hogan wrote: After the shoot, give us a sneak peak of our the photos. Would love to see them. Good Luck. :thumbsup:

I will thank you guys right now it looks like I'm going to be doing the shoot in the middle of January

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024