Event Photography?

12 years 3 months ago #183307 by athday00
Anyway, I'm shooting an event for a breast cancer awareness fundraiser. They've asked that I get everyone's names that are in the photos for the magazine they'll be published in. There are going to be over 300 people at this event. My camera doesn't have a voice recorder so it has to be done by hand. Does anyone have a great system for this?

12 years 3 months ago #183310 by The Photo Guy
My best bet is good ol pen and paper.
Write down the photo number that is on your camera, and the person's name (so you know who is in which photo).
Make sure you get the person to spell out their name. You don't want a misspelled name in a magazine.

12 years 3 months ago #183319 by athday00
Thanks I figure I may have to write down the names, just thought I ask if anyone knows a better way to do it.

12 years 3 months ago #183321 by xmasforall
I normally have the person write down their own name. The reason I have them write it is because it creates less hassle when people have last names that may be difficult to spell.

12 years 3 months ago #183346 by Tamgerine
I have to do this same thing in the military. I always chose my own selects, so what I did was get a few names ahead of time, and make sure to get a number of good photographs of those specific people so I didn't have to interrupt them mid training.

If I knew a photo was THE photo, I would stop and get the name. If it wasn't a very good photo and I knew it wasn't going to be chosen anyway, I usually just ignored it.

It probably depends on if you're turning over all photos to the magazine or only a select few of your best ones. They will most likely only publish a few of the best photos, rather than a ton of the whole event, so it probably isn't as daunting as a task as you think.

I always just use pen and paper and a little note about them, such as what they were doing at the time. You could possibly write down what they're wearing as well as a reminder. I'd be wary of having them write it as you may not be able to read their handwriting come later.

I think writing is a lot easier than audio because you'll have to listen through the entire tape several times to find the photo you want, rather than just easily flipping pages. Good luck!
12 years 3 months ago #183371 by icepics
Sounds like some good advice. There was a similar thread not long ago if you can search and find it on the forum.

I did some events but didn't need to keep track of names, usually they wanted the dignitaries from such 'n such sponsor standing in front of/under the sponsor's sign etc. I'm the film gal, I'd usually mark the film canisters so I'd know later which had significant photos (of sponsors schmoozing w/team execs, etc.) I just had to determine who the key people were to photograph.

Tam's probably right, if you get specific shots of groups of say 2-5 people then get names as you go - I image they'll want them for the captions and as she said, they'll only pick a few for a magazine article. If you can pick and choose what you submit that should help narrow it down.

Sharon
Photo Comments
12 years 3 months ago #183508 by Henry Peach
I would use an assistant to help me collect the names.
12 years 3 months ago #184035 by garthyguts
use your phone, has voice recoder or video them

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024

The Canon 1DX Mark III is a big, burly professional camera packed with top-end features. Is it worth the investment in 2024? Find out in this detailed review!

Mar 04, 2024

In the OM-1 vs OM-5 debate, which camera comes out on top? Though they’re different cameras for different purposes, comparing them head to head clarifies which is best for your needs.

Mar 01, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Time management is a critical skill to master when you’re a photographer. But how do you get the most out of the limited time you have? Check out this guide to learn a few tricks!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Opening a photography business means undertaking various photography marketing strategies to promote your work. But you don’t want to do the same old thing - try these unique ideas!

Mar 22, 2024

The Canon EOS 80D might be a few years old, but it’s nevertheless a quality camera to invest in as a beginner or enthusiast looking for a mid-range DSLR with tons of lens options.

Mar 22, 2024

Wedding consultations are a critical part of a wedding photography gig. It’s when you learn about the couple and their wants, and present them with how you will meet those desires.

Mar 22, 2024

If you're looking for the best metal print of 2023, you'll find it from Artbeat Studios. After months of testing, Artbeat Studios beat out the competition!

Mar 21, 2024

Getting the best video shots on your camera or smartphone requires you to understand the fundamentals of composition and video editing. It helps to have the appropriate gear, too!

Mar 20, 2024

It’s easy to lose your inspiration behind the lens, especially as a beginner. These creative photography projects can help inspire you to try new techniques and improve your photos.

Mar 20, 2024