What difference will the body actually make?

12 years 3 months ago #188811 by Corrina
I'm currently shooting with a Nikon D90 and I'm starting to get into portraits. I was thinking of upgrading my camera to a full frame body, but will it make a difference in the quality of my photos?

12 years 3 months ago #188818 by mj~shutterbugg
What lenses do you have? The lens you use make s a HUGE impact. Do you own a lighting system or a speedlight that will bounce flash? If you don't have these your money may be better spent investing there instead of the body. These items will grow with you into a bigger better body. Also do you shoot RAW? That allows all the info your sensor got to be processed by you in post. If you aren't doing that because of programs and not having them, that may be a good investment too. I am not a Nikon shooter but as far as I can tell about the cropped sensor is that it alters the field of view the lens has and makes the magnification go up. Like a 50mm on a cropped body gives you an 800 mm lens. That holds true for Nikon and almost any other brand of D-SLR. Photography has many aspects that affect the outcome, the body only being one of them.

This is a Canon link, but will give you an idea of what I am speaking about... www.photographytalk.com/forum/canon-came...7d-field-test#173272

The Canon 7D is 18 megapixels and a cropped sensor, the 5Dmii is a full frame 23 megapixel. This puts forth a very interesting argument. Hope this helped.

Think Off-Center ~ George Carlin
www.mjbrennanphoto.com

12 years 3 months ago #188819 by Henry Peach
Probably not as much as internet chatter would have you believe. :) The differences are well documented. In the real world they don't seem as significant to me as they are hyped in reviews. I don't know anything about the work you are doing, but in general I'd consider new lenses and lighting to improve portrait photo quality before I worried too much about the body.
12 years 3 months ago #188821 by Corrina

mj~shutterbugg wrote: What lenses do you have? The lens you use make s a HUGE impact. Do you own a lighting system or a speedlight that will bounce flash? If you don't have these your money may be better spent investing there instead of the body. These items will grow with you into a bigger better body. Also do you shoot RAW? That allows all the info your sensor got to be processed by you in post. If you aren't doing that because of programs and not having them, that may be a good investment too. I am not a Nikon shooter but as far as I can tell about the cropped sensor is that it alters the field of view the lens has and makes the magnification go up. Like a 50mm on a cropped body gives you an 800 mm lens. That holds true for Nikon and almost any other brand of D-SLR. Photography has many aspects that affect the outcome, the body only being one of them.

This is a Canon link, but will give you an idea of what I am speaking about... www.photographytalk.com/forum/canon-came...7d-field-test#173272

The Canon 7D is 18 megapixels and a cropped sensor, the 5Dmii is a full frame 23 megapixel. This puts forth a very interesting argument. Hope this helped.

I have a 24-120mm. I plan on buying a 50mm. I have a sb600, it's the only lighting I have at this time. I only shoot raw. Wow, so you are saying when I buy my 50mm, on my Nikon D90 I will get an 800mm? Damn, if that is the case why does anyone need to spend $$$$$ on telephoto lenses.

12 years 3 months ago #188824 by Ash4321
The difference in upper models is the build quality. The upper end cameras are metal as opposed to plastic, they are weather sealed, to an extent as such. Then there are features which may or, may not be relevant to improve images.

12 years 3 months ago #188830 by Henry Peach

Corrina wrote: Wow, so you are saying when I buy my 50mm, on my Nikon D90 I will get an 800mm?

Typo. She meant 80mm. :)
12 years 3 months ago #188832 by Corrina

Henry Peach wrote: Probably not as much as internet chatter would have you believe. :) The differences are well documented. In the real world they don't seem as significant to me as they are hyped in reviews. I don't know anything about the work you are doing, but in general I'd consider new lenses and lighting to improve portrait photo quality before I worried too much about the body.

Thank you. The camera I have now, is doing just fine. But since I wanted to start getting into portrait photography I started to wonder if I should consider a full frame. But, if lenses are more important, then I will focus on better quality lenses instead of a body. Thanks.

12 years 3 months ago #188836 by mj~shutterbugg
Thanks Matt, yes I meant 80mm. Me and my typos.

Think Off-Center ~ George Carlin
www.mjbrennanphoto.com

12 years 3 months ago #188843 by Corrina

mj~shutterbugg wrote: Thanks Matt, yes I meant 80mm. Me and my typos.

Gotcha. I understand typos. :) Although that would be an awesome inexpensive way to get an 800mm. lol

12 years 3 months ago #188898 by Baydream
If you are considering a full frame camera, make sure you buy lenses designed for FF. They will work with crops but ones designed for crops will not work with FF.
Unless you need really low light or large landscape shots, your current body is more than adequate.

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
12 years 3 months ago #188904 by Corrina

Baydream wrote: If you are considering a full frame camera, make sure you buy lenses designed for FF. They will work with crops but ones designed for crops will not work with FF.
Unless you need really low light or large landscape shots, your current body is more than adequate.

Thanks for that tip. :thumbsup:

12 years 3 months ago #188941 by TheNissanMan
Some adivce given to me when I started playing in photography was to upgrade the lenses before the body and never a truer word has been told.

Unless you are planning on blowing your inmages up to print you can get outstadning results with the majority of DSLR's on the market if you know how to use them, decent glass makes all the difference.

12 years 3 months ago #188983 by Joves
As has been said glass if king for images over the bodies. While you can use cheaper glass if you know its sweet spots having good glass gives you more flexibility for Depth of Field and still giving you quality images. Cheaper glass will suffer with too soft of images when narrowing the DoF.

12 years 3 months ago #189012 by Screamin Scott

Baydream wrote: If you are considering a full frame camera, make sure you buy lenses designed for FF. They will work with crops but ones designed for crops will not work with FF.

That's not exactly true....With Nikon, when a lens designed for a "crop" sensor camera is used on a full frame model, the camera will sense this & what you get is a reduced resolution image...Thus a 12mp FX format Nikon camera when used with a DX lens will produce a 5mp image (plus a tinier image in the viewfinder...Best to always buy FX lenses in the off chance that you get a FX body at a later date...

Scott Ditzel Photography

www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/

Photo Comments
12 years 3 months ago #189026 by Stealthy Ninja
Just buy yourself the Sigma 50 1.4

Suddenly your portraits on the D90 will get better. ;)

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024