Remote triggering of strobes?

9 years 1 month ago #189679 by Bobby
If you are using a radio remote trigger with multiple monolights, is it necessary or just beneficial to have a receiver on All of the lights? All lights are equipped with slaves

Is there really any advantage to using a remote trigger over the on camera flash?

I'm assuming if the camera flash is set to the lowest setting that will trigger the slaves, the camera flash will not be visible in the image?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

9 years 1 month ago #189681 by Rolly
The huge advantage of using triggers is that you don't have to rely upon the light hitting the slaves to trigger your flash. Inside, in a studio setting, it's not a huge deal but the triggers are still a better idea so there is no extra light in the image-- besides, it saves a lot of batteries, etc, to use a dedicated trigger. If you are trying to use lights outside, or in a large space you really need the triggers because otherwise you spend the whole time trying to hit the slave with your flash. Having triggers on every light means that you don't have to worry about the lights getting set off by stray light and you don't have to make sure that the light from one strobe hits the slave of the next. In the studio, it's not a big deal at all. On location, it can be a bit limiting.

9 years 1 month ago #189682 by Bobby
Basically what happened is I've ordered a two head kit and a transmitter with two receivers.

My plan was to wait and "see" how the two heads worked but before they arrived I've decided to order a larger "main" light

9 years 1 month ago - 9 years 1 month ago #189683 by Henry Peach
Radio triggers are generally considered more reliable than optical triggers. They work at farther ranges, don't need line of sight, aren't troubled by bright or high contrast lighting situations, etc...

If using an on-camera flash to trigger other flashes it just depends on the situation as to whether the on-camera flash will affect lighting. As long as it's 3+ stops below the overall exposure level it probably won't show, but it just depends on how the subject is lit.

9 years 1 month ago #189685 by mattmoran

Bobby wrote: I'm assuming if the camera flash is set to the lowest setting that will trigger the slaves, the camera flash will not be visible in the image?

That's the crux of it, isn't it? Also, where is the slave sensor on your monolights? Can you set it up so that the on camera flash is bright enough to trigger the slave sensor, but not bright enough to affect the image?

May work fine in a dark room. What if you are using your monolights as fill flash on a bright sunny day?

Personally, I don't use an on camera flash. I use a cord from my camera to one of the lights and trigger the rest with the slave. And I've never tried it outside, so I don't know how it would work.

There is no "right" or "wrong" way to do it. Just trial and error.

-Matt

9 years 1 month ago #189687 by Sha Nea
I would think that you would only need multiple receivers when you are shooting in a situation where other people are shooting with flash. You wouldn't want their flashes setting off your lights...and most lights will disable their optical trigger when something is plugged into their triggering connection.

9 years 1 month ago #189688 by Bobby
Thanks everybody for your help. :)

• Facebook

802,251 / Likes

• Twitter

205,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Ricoh GR III is a little-known compact camera that might be just the ticket for you if you want a small, portable, and easy-to-use camera.

Feb 19, 2021

The Sony a7S III is a video-first full frame camera with a hefty price tag. Is it worth the price of admission? Get all the details in this Sony a7S III review.

Feb 18, 2021

In this Nikon Z7 II review learn how this new camera is similar to the original Z7 and how it makes improvements upon the original.

Feb 16, 2021

The Sony Cybershot DSC-RX10 III is a highly capable, video-first bridge camera. The question is, is it right for you? Get all the details in this Sony Cybershot DSC-RX10 III review!

Feb 12, 2021

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

If a photography tripod is too cumbersome for you, you can learn how to stabilize a camera with any number of tripod substitutes.

Feb 22, 2021

Use this real estate photography gear list to learn about some of the most critical pieces of kit you need to take the highest-quality real estate photos.

Feb 22, 2021

If you aren't sure how to get feedback from clients, check out these simple solutions for your photography business.

Feb 19, 2021

The Ricoh GR III is a little-known compact camera that might be just the ticket for you if you want a small, portable, and easy-to-use camera.

Feb 19, 2021

Drop shipping your printed photos can save you time and money. But there are cons to consider as well. Get all the details in this guide to drop shipping for photography businesses.

Feb 19, 2021

The Sony a7S III is a video-first full frame camera with a hefty price tag. Is it worth the price of admission? Get all the details in this Sony a7S III review.

Feb 18, 2021

Use these real estate photography tips to learn why taking high-quality real estate photos is so important for selling properties.

Feb 18, 2021

Not sure what a follow focus system is? In this tutorial, learn how to use a follow focus system and why you might want want for your video productions.

Feb 18, 2021