What would you do?

12 years 2 months ago #193478 by TheNissanMan
It's a difficult question to answer but would definately not state that your an amateur, can picture that further down the line when they realise your selling images and come after with court papers to recoup costs...

Only way I can see around it is to incorporate the costs against your business model, if your pro and earn a living from photography can you not right the $500 cost off against the tax man ?

12 years 2 months ago #193510 by Trilby
It doesn't seem worth it. You could probably find an orchid grower that would be happy to have you photograph their orchids, a bit more effort but a lot less cost....

I'm in Victoria, Australia and you used to have to pay about $395 per year for a commercial landscape permit if you were taking them in National Parks. Recently, the Victorian government did away with it, saying something along the lines of, 'there is a lot of talented photographers in Victoria and basically they should be encouraged to photograph and showcase our incredible National Parks, rather than offered disincentives'....How nice is that? Not very often you get to say that about the government....

There is no black & white; it's all 18% grey.
12 years 2 months ago #193542 by mj~shutterbugg
I heard back from the Orchid Society's President. He wants to check with the members to see if they are in agreement, but sees no issues with me photographing the orchids. There are some logistical issues-

1.) I will only have an hour to shoot per month and I have to work with judges surrounding me. I can work with this. I may not get a lot of work but if I can get quality then it's worth it. It will take one evening a month up but that's my time and I enjoy the type of shooting I am trying to get in there to do.

2.) They would like me to allow them to use my photos on their website. The president thinks this may compete with my own website, yet I think the opposite. If I can have a photo credit on the photos (which I can't see why he would not allow that) then wouldn't that act as free advertisement for my website?

3.)He is worried lighting won't be what I can work with. Fluorescents and no backdrops. I have a speedlight and should be able to work around the green tint. I can also provide a backdrop if I am allowed.

They also have a much more varied and interesting selection than the botanical gardens and judging by the comment he made about a genus of my blue orchids I can tell I will be getting a superior eduction in orchids. What do you think? Am I being unrealistic? Does it appear that I have rose colored glasses on? I want to try this, it seems like we may be able to come to a very symbiotic relationship. I can give them high quality images for websites and the growers and I can sell them without worry.

Think Off-Center ~ George Carlin
www.mjbrennanphoto.com

12 years 2 months ago - 12 years 2 months ago #193544 by Baydream
I think it's an excellent opportunity.
Shoot RAW or adjust your white balance.
You will also meet the individual growers who may want shots of some of their "non-show" specimens. I arranged to take our Nova Scotia photo club to the home garden of the president of the dahlia society. He also had multiple other flowers. We got some wonderful shots, much better than at the Ex (Nova Scotia Exposition) that had many varieties.

We got shots like these (On these, I didn't even bother to shoo the bugs):

This could be very beneficial for you and the club members.

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
Attachments:
12 years 2 months ago - 12 years 2 months ago #193549 by mj~shutterbugg

Baydream wrote: I think it's an excellent opportunity.
Shoot RAW or adjust your white balance.
You will also meet the individual growers who may want shots of some of their "non-show" specimens. I arranged to take our Nova Scotia photo club to the home garden of the president of the dahlia society. He also had multiple other flowers. We got some wonderful shots, much better than at the Ex (Nova Scotia Exposition) that had many varieties.

We got shots like these (On these, I didn't even bother to shoo the bugs):

This could be very beneficial for you and the club members.

I agree John, I think this could be a highly symbiotic relationship. It will take some time for them to get used to me and for me to find a groove, but I think long term this would be amazing. Their photographer is a grower and wants to be part of the meetings not snapping photos, whereas I really want to snap away :) Btw, excellent shots, I think the bugs add to the image, they are part of nature.

www.mjbrennanphoto.com

12 years 2 months ago #193556 by icepics
Sounds like an opportunity that would be worth giving a try. If for some reason it wouldn't work out it's not like there's a contract or commitment in case your plans change. You're usually thorough in checking things out, so once you finalize some details it seems like it should work out for you.

Seems like this and maybe looking into other opportunities as you go along would be better than paying the fee at the conservatory for now. I imagine you'll get to the point that the fee will be a manageable cost as part of your photography business.

I've never heard of a fee like that but it makes me think of how it's become in sports. With 'everybody' having a camera and thinking they're a photographer, there are a lot more restrictions than there used to be. I guess it's an effort to protect their 'product' and name/logo etc. Too bad that the fee is probably an effort to maintain control over the situation (too many wannabees trying to make a buck, or in sports, get access to players etc.) but it's affecting people like you who have a purpose and sincere interest and talent in photography.

You've done some stunning photos of other flowers and other subjects, so maybe along with the orchid society there may be other places that you could do the same type thing. I was thinking maybe a flower/horticultural show, public parks, university gardens, the fair?? Once you've had a chance to switch gears I imagine you'll find ways to accomplish what you want.

Sharon
Photo Comments
12 years 2 months ago #193571 by chasrich
You rock girl... Go for it! :thumbsup: :woohoo:

“Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light, I just make pictures… ” ~ Vernon Trent
12 years 2 months ago #193578 by Darrell
I agree join an orchid society and /or garden club. ($500.00 and that is just one place you may like to take pictures !! ) A friend of mine belongs to a garden club, last summer she called several of them up to ask if they would mind it I took pictures of their gardens, everyone of them said yes. They were all so proud and happy to give tours..

You will not be judged as a photographer by the pictures you take, but by the pictures you show.
12 years 2 months ago #193723 by Lindsey
Have you asked for a discount?

Photo Comments
12 years 2 months ago #193813 by Superman
$500? No way. I'll go else where or ask them for a "I'm local" discount.

Nikon D90 & D40 18-55mm, 55-200mm, 35mm, 50mm, 105mm, SB600
Photo Comments
12 years 2 months ago #195607 by mj~shutterbugg
Just an update on the situation. I just heard back from the Orchid Society and they have decided to let me in! :cheers: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :cheers: This is so awesome as I had to pack up my 'studio' for the big home move. I get one night a month to focus on these plants and flowers and it will be so nice during the stress of building to have this outlet. Wahoooooooooooooooo!!!!

www.mjbrennanphoto.com

The following user(s) said Thank You: McBeth Photography
12 years 2 months ago #195678 by robbie
Good for you MJ,don`t forget to try Ir when your camera comes back...BW conversions should be fun.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024