is posting another person's work on a forum against the law?

12 years 2 months ago #193987 by mcc3d01
On another photography forum. There is an issue of other posters posting others work because "it's a great picture!" etc. I have been trying to convince them that this is bad practice, but they aren't taking it.

So is it really against the law? or just against forum rules?

12 years 2 months ago #193988 by johnbu38
I don't know much on law and that but I'm sure something pertaining to copyright law would be involved in this, but then again once you upload it to the Internet I'm not sure who owns the rights.

Take Facebook for instance, when you upload your pictures to your profile, they instantly become property of Facebook and they can use them in any way they want.

But you are right it's not good practice to post other people's work because they like the picture. Guess just make sure people watermark there pictures at least that way people still know who originally took it.

12 years 2 months ago #193992 by B03b1
I'm just curious, does anyone know if it's against PT rules that we can not post another photographer's work?

12 years 2 months ago #193998 by scifitographer
From the rules found here:
www.photographytalk.com/forum/new-to-pho...-read-before-posting

"Copyrighted Material; you may not use the site to violate anyone’s copyright, trademark, intellectual property rights, or privacy rights. The User Content that you submit must be your work. Instead of copying-and-pasting articles, photos, or other material you find on the Internet, you should be posting links to those articles. Posting a snippet from the article and then the link is the appropriate way to post."

12 years 2 months ago #194007 by orion
Why would you want to post someone elses work onto a forum? I was thinking about it once, I found a photo that someone else had done and I was curious of how it was done as theres so many people on here that could tell me, I pm'd an agent, and they said to post a link to the photo in question as, it has been rightly said....its copyrighted.

12 years 2 months ago #194021 by john_m
^Agree, If you a in a thread, say about astrophotography, and you know of this badass photo of the milkyway. Just link the image to your post..

Nikon D200
Nikon 50mm f1.8D, Tokina 28-80 f2.8, Nikon 75-300, Sigma 18-200, Nikon SB-600, Nikon SB-25, Promaster triggers

12 years 2 months ago #194025 by B03b1

scifitographer wrote: From the rules found here:
www.photographytalk.com/forum/new-to-pho...-read-before-posting

"Copyrighted Material; you may not use the site to violate anyone’s copyright, trademark, intellectual property rights, or privacy rights. The User Content that you submit must be your work. Instead of copying-and-pasting articles, photos, or other material you find on the Internet, you should be posting links to those articles. Posting a snippet from the article and then the link is the appropriate way to post."

Thank you for posting that. :thumbsup:

12 years 2 months ago #194029 by mcc3d01
I went searching and found this on copyright.gov Fair Use

12 years 2 months ago #194098 by icepics
You could look on websites of professional photographers' organizations like ASMP for info. on copyright etc.

If I was in a pottery studio would it be OK for someone take a vase I just made? No. Would it be OK to show it to someone else or critique it? - with permission would be appropriate, that's how it works in a studio with shared space, people discuss what's being worked on, share techniques, etc. But you wouldn't borrow or show someone else's work without asking them first.

Do the people who post other people's photos think it would be OK to go in someone's house and take their property? - probably not, but somehow it being online seems to make some people think it's theirs for the taking. We've already seen this type thing when music was first available online until the music industry got a handle on piracy. I just don't know with photography that the law has caught up yet with what's happening online.

Sharon
Photo Comments
12 years 2 months ago #194141 by Scotty

icepics wrote: You could look on websites of professional photographers' organizations like ASMP for info. on copyright etc.

If I was in a pottery studio would it be OK for someone take a vase I just made? No. Would it be OK to show it to someone else or critique it? - with permission would be appropriate, that's how it works in a studio with shared space, people discuss what's being worked on, share techniques, etc. But you wouldn't borrow or show someone else's work without asking them first.

Do the people who post other people's photos think it would be OK to go in someone's house and take their property? - probably not, but somehow it being online seems to make some people think it's theirs for the taking. We've already seen this type thing when music was first available online until the music industry got a handle on piracy. I just don't know with photography that the law has caught up yet with what's happening online.

The music industry never caught up on piracy, it lost.

Posting work of somebody else's as yours is wrong. If you're talking about a photographer and post their website...there is nothing wrong with that.

When the last candle has been blown out
and the last glass of champagne has been drunk
All that you are left with are the memories and the images-David Cooke.

Photo Comments
12 years 2 months ago #194145 by Dori
Right, because you are giving them the credit.

Don't pi$$ me off, I am running out of room to store the bodies...

Resident Texasotan...

12 years 2 months ago #194156 by Joves
If you are not doing it for commercial purposes then it is under Fair Use to some extent, all bets are off if you are claiming it as yours and selling it, or even giving it away. The majority of forums related to photography will not allow you to post the photos, it is the unrelated forums that do not seem to care. If I saw someone claiming my photos as their I would register on that site and let it be known it was my photo. Smugmug is also now allowing us to change customize our photos links, so I could change it and leave them a lovely X.

12 years 2 months ago #194167 by chasrich
I might want to post someones work and would do so but only after a lot of criteria was met. The owner would be made aware and give permission before posting. The owner would be given proper credit for the photo and for granting me limited rights to post. The image would have to have some merit or make some kind of point illustrating a technique or process and I would think the post would be limited in audience and might just be used then deleted after a short period of time.

For the most part I can't think of an instance where I would ever do this.

“Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light, I just make pictures… ” ~ Vernon Trent
12 years 2 months ago #194179 by Dori
Why would it be wrong if the owner were given credit and a link not the shot posted?

Don't pi$$ me off, I am running out of room to store the bodies...

Resident Texasotan...

12 years 2 months ago #194196 by icepics
Well I think that's different than downloading someone's photo and reposting it; if they've put it on their own website or a website where the galleries are public then they've chosen to make it public. And if you provide the link, that would seem to be giving them credit or acknowledging that it's their photo. I think that's permissible on here.

Rich that seems to be a well thought out way to handle it, respecting that it's someone else's work and getting permission.

Scotty I don't know if the music industry rebounded or how much, the point I was trying to make was that the music industry acted towards obtaining compensation for usage.

Sharon
Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024

The Canon 1DX Mark III is a big, burly professional camera packed with top-end features. Is it worth the investment in 2024? Find out in this detailed review!

Mar 04, 2024

In the OM-1 vs OM-5 debate, which camera comes out on top? Though they’re different cameras for different purposes, comparing them head to head clarifies which is best for your needs.

Mar 01, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Time management is a critical skill to master when you’re a photographer. But how do you get the most out of the limited time you have? Check out this guide to learn a few tricks!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Opening a photography business means undertaking various photography marketing strategies to promote your work. But you don’t want to do the same old thing - try these unique ideas!

Mar 22, 2024

The Canon EOS 80D might be a few years old, but it’s nevertheless a quality camera to invest in as a beginner or enthusiast looking for a mid-range DSLR with tons of lens options.

Mar 22, 2024

Wedding consultations are a critical part of a wedding photography gig. It’s when you learn about the couple and their wants, and present them with how you will meet those desires.

Mar 22, 2024

If you're looking for the best metal print of 2023, you'll find it from Artbeat Studios. After months of testing, Artbeat Studios beat out the competition!

Mar 21, 2024

Getting the best video shots on your camera or smartphone requires you to understand the fundamentals of composition and video editing. It helps to have the appropriate gear, too!

Mar 20, 2024

It’s easy to lose your inspiration behind the lens, especially as a beginner. These creative photography projects can help inspire you to try new techniques and improve your photos.

Mar 20, 2024