Stepping outside of your comfort zone...tips??

12 years 2 months ago #194293 by dwi3x4
This is going to sound dumb but all I keep hearing from people is to shoot, shoot, shoot. I have practiced a ton in my house/yard, but I feel like there's only so many pictures I can take of this small space before it just gets redundant. I'd like to take my camera to play around with when I'm out and about...but I feel weird just randomly whipping out a camera when I'm out somewhere. How do you get past that whole "everybody is staring at me like I'm crazy" thing?? Also, what sort of local places do you go to practice??

12 years 2 months ago #194295 by D1ixo
Some people are more comfortable with that than others. I can't do street photography because I feel like all eyes are on me.

12 years 2 months ago #194297 by 3p34nn
I suppose if you forced yourself, you could maybe get over it. I think overly extroverted people are better with it.

12 years 2 months ago #194302 by dwi3x4

D1ixo wrote: Some people are more comfortable with that than others. I can't do street photography because I feel like all eyes are on me.

That is EXACTLY how I feel.

12 years 2 months ago #194304 by dwi3x4
I just have that feeling like everyone is watching me and then I sort of feel like a creep for taking pictures of people I don't know. I'm going to have to get over it in some way...I just don't know where to start.

12 years 2 months ago #194318 by chasrich
I see a lot of options for you...

Wear a disguise.

Hire a streaker and get photos of the people taking his photo.

Go somewhere like a street festival, carnival or bike fest or ren faire and shoot em up!

Hang a press card around your neck - then you're a professional!

Get a really long lens and shoot people in the next zip code...

The list goes on and on but the important thing is... (here it comes again) go start shooting. Your comfort zone will soon catch up to you. :thumbsup:

“Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light, I just make pictures… ” ~ Vernon Trent
12 years 2 months ago #194321 by dwi3x4
haha, thanks Chas. I pick Option B. :rofl: :banana: All the attention on him, no one will bother looking to see what I am doing. lol

I hope my comfort zone catches up to me by Spring. I would really like to adventure out and shoot more.

12 years 2 months ago - 12 years 2 months ago #194324 by Henry Peach

dwi3x4 wrote: How do you get past that whole "everybody is staring at me like I'm crazy" thing??

Find a less crowded, more secluded place?

What are you thinking when you watch someone taking photos or doing something else in public? You probably think: What are they photographing? Is something going on over there? What kind of camera do they have? That's what most people are thinking. They forget you as soon as the next person crosses their view. Very few people will think you are crazy or up to no good. Photography is more popular than ever. Most of the people that give you a second glance are doing so because they wish they were out taking pics too. If you find someone staring at you 9 times out of 10 it's another photographer trying to figure out your gear.

If you are actively including strangers in your photographs you will run into more folks that are worried that you are up to something or going to exploit them. I try to be friendly and obvious about the photography, and if someone has a beef with me taking their pic I don't or I'll delete it. I've been shooting in public for many years, and very rarely been hassled.
12 years 2 months ago #194325 by dwi3x4
Thanks Henry for posting. You are right. I just have to somehow get past that fear.

12 years 2 months ago #194328 by D1ixo
Here's a thought. Become friends with a fellow photographer in your area and go out shooting together. You may forget about people watching you because you are having too much fun.

12 years 2 months ago #194333 by Henry Peach

D1ixo wrote: Here's a thought. Become friends with a fellow photographer in your area and go out shooting together. You may forget about people watching you because you are having too much fun.

Good idea! Confidence in numbers. Also nice when wandering around at night with expensive gear.
12 years 2 months ago #194334 by dwi3x4

D1ixo wrote: Here's a thought. Become friends with a fellow photographer in your area and go out shooting together. You may forget about people watching you because you are having too much fun.

That is a good idea. I like that idea. Thanks. :thumbsup: Now I just need to search for a photographer in my area.

12 years 2 months ago #194335 by 3p34nn
Facebook is a good place to find local photographers. I lost count how many photographers I am networked with on facebook.

12 years 2 months ago #194434 by TheNissanMan
I started with Zoo's as everyone and there dog has a camera, luckily I have found a great Hawk Conservancy thrity minutes down the road which allows me to practice and fully understand my camera.

I think the hardest part is being comforatble with your camera and having the confidence that you know what you are doing, once your happy with those pulling out the camera setting it for the shot and getting the required image cancels out everything else :)

12 years 2 months ago #194459 by photobod
Street photography is fun but remember be very very careful if kids are about, parents are very protective these days so dont go there. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

www.dcimages.org.uk
"A good photograph is one that communicate a fact, touches the heart, leaves the viewer a changed person for having seen it. It is, in a word, effective." - Irving Penn

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024

The Canon 1DX Mark III is a big, burly professional camera packed with top-end features. Is it worth the investment in 2024? Find out in this detailed review!

Mar 04, 2024

In the OM-1 vs OM-5 debate, which camera comes out on top? Though they’re different cameras for different purposes, comparing them head to head clarifies which is best for your needs.

Mar 01, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Time management is a critical skill to master when you’re a photographer. But how do you get the most out of the limited time you have? Check out this guide to learn a few tricks!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Opening a photography business means undertaking various photography marketing strategies to promote your work. But you don’t want to do the same old thing - try these unique ideas!

Mar 22, 2024

The Canon EOS 80D might be a few years old, but it’s nevertheless a quality camera to invest in as a beginner or enthusiast looking for a mid-range DSLR with tons of lens options.

Mar 22, 2024

Wedding consultations are a critical part of a wedding photography gig. It’s when you learn about the couple and their wants, and present them with how you will meet those desires.

Mar 22, 2024

If you're looking for the best metal print of 2023, you'll find it from Artbeat Studios. After months of testing, Artbeat Studios beat out the competition!

Mar 21, 2024

Getting the best video shots on your camera or smartphone requires you to understand the fundamentals of composition and video editing. It helps to have the appropriate gear, too!

Mar 20, 2024

It’s easy to lose your inspiration behind the lens, especially as a beginner. These creative photography projects can help inspire you to try new techniques and improve your photos.

Mar 20, 2024