AA Batteries Question

12 years 2 months ago #196541 by Brookie
I'm looking for some advice on AA Batteries. I shoot mainly weddings. We (my partner and I) are using Canon Speedlite 580EX II and are using Duracell 15 minute AA batteries and chargers. They work great for that one day but over time they do not hold a charge for more than 24 hours and we only bought them a few months ago.

What are you guys using? Any suggestions? Recommendations??

The following user(s) said Thank You: sree2472
12 years 2 months ago #196543 by Summertime
Sanyo Enloop batteries and a very good charging unit.

A cheap recharger will kill rechargable batteries very quickly when they are used for flash, since you will be recharging them and reusing them very quickly. Cheap rechargers and quick recharge times tend to go hand in hand and are good for quick use, but are not going to last the test of time when used intensively.

The enloop batteries are a newer kind which have a much improved ability to store their charge when put in storage - they will keep something like 80% charge even after a year (regular rechargables will have given out long before that if stored in a flash and not used).

A good recharger is also key because that helps ensure the long life of your batteries

12 years 2 months ago - 12 years 2 months ago #196544 by Henry Peach
I'm using 580exII's with the Canon battery pack that holds 8 AAs. I get at least 400-500 flashes before I notice a big slow down on the flash recycle.

I used PowerEx brand rechargeables for years. They worked noticeably better than the Duracell, Everready, and Rayovac rechargeables I tried. I would get a years worth of weddings out of them, and many are still powering less demanding devices around my home.

People here at PT turned me on to Sanyo Eneloop rechargeables. I've only been using them a few months, but they seem similar to the PowerEx in performance, and they aren't supposed to lose the charge like most rechargeables. They cost the same as other ones, so it seemed like a no-brainer to me.
12 years 2 months ago #196545 by Darrell
I use Costco Brand Kirkland, 48 batteries for about $12.00 and they last as long as any battery I have tried. Being using them for years.

You will not be judged as a photographer by the pictures you take, but by the pictures you show.
12 years 2 months ago #196547 by Brookie

Summertime wrote:
A good recharger is also key because that helps ensure the long life of your batteries

And what is a good recharger? Do they make some that can charge more than 4 batteries at a time? We have about 40 batteries between us for all our electronics.

12 years 2 months ago #196548 by Brookie

Henry Peach wrote: I'm using 580exII's with the Canon battery pack that holds 8 AAs. I get at least 400-500 flashes before I notice a big slow down on the flash recycle.

I used PowerEx brand rechargeables for years. They worked noticeably better than the Duracell, Everready, and Rayovac rechargeables I tried. I would get a years worth of weddings out of them, and many are still powering less demanding devices around my home.

People here at PT turned me on to Sanyo Eneloop rechargeables. I've only been using them a few months, but they seem similar to the PowerEx in performance, and they aren't supposed to lose the charge like most rechargeables. They cost the same as other ones, so it seemed like a no-brainer to me.

Thank you. Maybe I will try the Sanyo Eneloop.

12 years 2 months ago #196549 by Brookie

Darrell wrote: I use Costco Brand Kirkland, 48 batteries for about $12.00 and they last as long as any battery I have tried. Being using them for years.

That sounds like a pretty good deal. Too bad I don't have a Costco near me.

12 years 2 months ago #196551 by Summertime

Brookie wrote:

Summertime wrote:

And what is a good recharger? Do they make some that can charge more than 4 batteries at a time? We have about 40 batteries between us for all our electronics.

www.thomasdistributing.com/

This is perhaps *the* place to shop for batteries and battery chargers. Many people consider the better Maha brand chargers to be the Canon L-glass equivalent in the battery charger field.

12 years 2 months ago #196557 by Henry Peach
I've just used the chargers that came with the batteries (PowerEx and Sanyo). I'm getting 20-30 weddings and again that many portrait sessions before they get retired to the TV and video game remotes.
12 years 2 months ago #196582 by Brookie

Summertime wrote:

Brookie wrote:

Summertime wrote:

www.thomasdistributing.com/

This is perhaps *the* place to shop for batteries and battery chargers. Many people consider the better Maha brand chargers to be the Canon L-glass equivalent in the battery charger field.

Thanks I'll check out the site. Never heard of it, but it's you say it's "the" the place, then I should at least check it out. lol

12 years 2 months ago #196583 by Brookie

Henry Peach wrote: I've just used the chargers that came with the batteries (PowerEx and Sanyo). I'm getting 20-30 weddings and again that many portrait sessions before they get retired to the TV and video game remotes.

If I decided to go with Sanyo, I'll probably do just that..use it's own charger. Thanks.

12 years 2 months ago #196772 by Joves

Brookie wrote:

Henry Peach wrote: I've just used the chargers that came with the batteries (PowerEx and Sanyo). I'm getting 20-30 weddings and again that many portrait sessions before they get retired to the TV and video game remotes.

If I decided to go with Sanyo, I'll probably do just that..use it's own charger. Thanks.

Good chargers are slow chargers. The fast charger shorten battery life. This is why I have many batteries all Sanyos. I have used many other brands as well but they dont hold their charges as long as the Sanyons.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024

Self-critique is an important component of your journey to improving as a photographer. Use these simple tips about critiquing your work as a means to make faster progress with your art.

Apr 08, 2024