new cameras

12 years 2 months ago #196919 by Anne
Hi, my husband showed me an article in Science News, Jan. 28, 2012 edition, that talks about The Digital Camera Revolution. It says some new cameras are coming out. They are the Frankencamera, Big Shot, a throwaway, panoramic ball camera, the Pelican camera and the Lytro. Anyone know anything about these, and do you think they will be pricey? Thanks.

12 years 2 months ago #196938 by rmeyer7
My two cents:

I think there's a reason this was in Science News, not a photography publication. The reason being, some of the concepts are revolutionary and very cool from a science and education point of view, but they won't revolutionize photography.

The Lytro is an amazing idea, it lets you choose the point of focus *after* you've already taken a picture. The technology behind it is as innovative and forward-thinking as it could possibly be! But the implementation is where it's still lacking; it's a small sensor in a strange format with a limited amount of internal memory. Work that technology into a full-frame camera sensor and put some Nikkor or Canon L glass in front of it, and then it might change the photography world.

The Big Shot -- at least from what I've read -- is more about education than actually taking good photos. Its aim is to let students build their own camera to learn how it works and learn about taking pictures. But it's not going to be an optical wonder. It will probably produce photos with the kind of quality you'd get from an off-brand digital camera you picked up online for $50.

The only thing from Pelican that I'm aware of is in phone cameras. That's something they could very well revolutionize, and I'm sure we'd all like it if the cameras in our phones took better pictures. But I don't see phone cameras being the wave of the future for photography.

So they're all cool and all innovative ideas, but they each have a primary area of interest that isn't quite the photography industry. At least not yet.

12 years 2 months ago #196942 by Henry Peach
They are popular hot photo-gizmo topics. Many of these are still in prototype form, and not a readily available product.

Frankencamera refers to a camera system that is very user customizable both in hardware and software. Such a system would most likely be created for professionals, enthusiasts, and specialized needs so I would think it would be quality gear and potentially quite expensive.

The Big Shot is a build-it-yourself digital camera kit. Since it's for kids and classes so it will need to be cheap.

The Pelican Imaging camera is an array camera. It takes many small, lower quality photos, and combines them into one higher quality photo. One advantage is that it can be very thin. This is likely to be used in cell phones and such.

The Lytro allows adjustment of the DOF after the exposure is made. You can buy a Lytro camera, but it looks like a web cam to me. Possibly this technology could move to other, more serious camera designs?

The Throwable Pano Ball camera is a ball with 36 cell phone cams. It it thrown in the air, and makes a full spherical pano photo. Neat idea. Low quality photos.
12 years 2 months ago #196948 by mattmoran
Here's the article:
www.sciencenews.org/view/feature/id/3375...al_Camera_Revolution

I personally think the Lytro will completely change photography. Probably not for another 10 years or so, but I definitely think that prefocusing an image will go the way of the dodo.

-Matt
12 years 2 months ago #196983 by chasrich
Interesting read... all this from a single pinhole camera begining. :thumbsup:

“Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light, I just make pictures… ” ~ Vernon Trent

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024