Getting into funeral photography

12 years 1 month ago #197993 by Monster
Let me start by saying this is an idea only at this time. I was just told that photographers who take photos of the deceased make great money. I'm thinking creepy! But hey, I might get used to it if the money was good.

So...

1. Any idea what a funeral photographer makes?
2. Downsides of doing this?
3. Kind of depressing work environment, any mental issues I can expect? :toocrazy:

BTW would you do this?

Photo Comments
12 years 1 month ago #197999 by Dori
I can't answer any of you questions. But I am not sure I could do this. I guess if you aren't directly connected with the person, but what about the grief the loved ones are feeling. Couldn't this affect you?

Don't pi$$ me off, I am running out of room to store the bodies...

Resident Texasotan...

12 years 1 month ago #198011 by photobod
My advice is dont do it, you are already sounding negative, photography is a joy something that brings great memories to us all, even if it is about someone who has passed away, you seem to be wanting to do this because you have heard that the money is great, no offense but that is a very shallow reason to do this job, you need empathy and understanding to do any people photography, be it weddings, portraits or funerals, think again, you will be a better photographer if you put the money to the end of the wish list. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

www.dcimages.org.uk
"A good photograph is one that communicate a fact, touches the heart, leaves the viewer a changed person for having seen it. It is, in a word, effective." - Irving Penn

12 years 1 month ago #198020 by Monster
I see what you are saying and that is what I'm thinking about and can't seem to make a decision :silly:

Photo Comments
12 years 1 month ago #198036 by Darrell
The only reason I can think that people would want a picture of the deceased is becasue they think they look better dead than alive... . But to each their own.....

Can't see myself getting up Saturday morning, "great day for photography lets go to the funeral home"

You will not be judged as a photographer by the pictures you take, but by the pictures you show.
12 years 1 month ago #198064 by Studio Queen
I'm sorry but not a chance! Way to creepy for me

Photo Comments
12 years 1 month ago - 12 years 1 month ago #198177 by effron
I had a friend who did some funeral photography, mainly for military burials. Mostly focused on location and grave site and sometimes family members, always at their request. Nice memories of the salutes firing, flag folding and presentations, decorations if available, very classy stuff.
I'm not sure if civilian funerals would be too lucrative....:unsure:

btw, you DON"T photograph the dead......

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
12 years 1 month ago - 12 years 1 month ago #198181 by Shadowfixer1
I've been asked a couple of times to photograph the people in the casket and I did it.
I haven't photographed an entire funeral, but my wif'e's cousin had a vidieographer shoot her mother's funeral. Different strokes for different folks.
12 years 1 month ago #198202 by john_m
As Effron said, I can see it at military funerals (some of the most impacting images I have seen have came from military funerals), but Im not to sure what you would, or and other photographer, would shoot photos of during a civilian funeral.

Nikon D200
Nikon 50mm f1.8D, Tokina 28-80 f2.8, Nikon 75-300, Sigma 18-200, Nikon SB-600, Nikon SB-25, Promaster triggers

12 years 1 month ago #198234 by Freshstart
Are you talking about the photos that are taken when they are doing autopsy on a person?

Photo Comments
12 years 1 month ago #198240 by Bubbles
Honestly I didn't know this was such thing as funeral photography. I figure any photos that were taken at a funeral was someone of the family or the media.

12 years 1 month ago #198241 by Bubbles

Freshstart wrote: Are you talking about the photos that are taken when they are doing autopsy on a person?

Good question. I couldn't photograph during the autopsy.

12 years 1 month ago #198253 by effron
An autopsy and funeral are two entirely different things......

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
12 years 1 month ago #198418 by CatherineW
I'll stick to the living people :thumbsup:

***Remember 9/11***
Photo Comments
12 years 1 month ago #198463 by Joves
Well I would do it, but then I shoot would about anything. It really depends on your life view as to whether you could do it without it bothering you. We did a video of my grandmas funeral, it was mostly of the men in the family screwing down the top of the casket. Yes we built the casket ourselves at my grandmas request, we also made my grandpas.
Photography of funerals or the dead is nothing new. Fact is it was quite common during the 1800s. Sometimes the dead family member was posed for a family photo even. So yeah I would do it. It isnt like they are going to complain that you did not slim them down or ot rid of something they didnt like about themselves. It wouldnt matter if it was funerals or in the casket or at an autopsy it is all the same to me. We all die and when we do the person that was there has left the building.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024

The Canon 1DX Mark III is a big, burly professional camera packed with top-end features. Is it worth the investment in 2024? Find out in this detailed review!

Mar 04, 2024

In the OM-1 vs OM-5 debate, which camera comes out on top? Though they’re different cameras for different purposes, comparing them head to head clarifies which is best for your needs.

Mar 01, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Time management is a critical skill to master when you’re a photographer. But how do you get the most out of the limited time you have? Check out this guide to learn a few tricks!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Opening a photography business means undertaking various photography marketing strategies to promote your work. But you don’t want to do the same old thing - try these unique ideas!

Mar 22, 2024

The Canon EOS 80D might be a few years old, but it’s nevertheless a quality camera to invest in as a beginner or enthusiast looking for a mid-range DSLR with tons of lens options.

Mar 22, 2024

Wedding consultations are a critical part of a wedding photography gig. It’s when you learn about the couple and their wants, and present them with how you will meet those desires.

Mar 22, 2024

If you're looking for the best metal print of 2023, you'll find it from Artbeat Studios. After months of testing, Artbeat Studios beat out the competition!

Mar 21, 2024

Getting the best video shots on your camera or smartphone requires you to understand the fundamentals of composition and video editing. It helps to have the appropriate gear, too!

Mar 20, 2024

It’s easy to lose your inspiration behind the lens, especially as a beginner. These creative photography projects can help inspire you to try new techniques and improve your photos.

Mar 20, 2024