Anyone making a good living from food photography?

12 years 2 months ago #198255 by Lindsey
I love to cook and just ordered a book on food photography and was just thinking if people can make a good living from photographing food? Any takers on this?

Aside from publishing a book on the topic, can a freelance photographer make a good living from food photography?

I would greatly appreciate your thoughts on this. Thank you in advance.

Photo Comments
12 years 2 months ago #198267 by Pud
I think food photography works more with blogging. There are so many recipe blogs and for one to think yummy I should try that recipe, there needs to be an excellent quality photo of that food. I know I would want the food more if I see the picture with the recipe.

12 years 2 months ago #198269 by Lindsey
Yes I've seen many of these which was what got me thinking about food photography ;)

Photo Comments
12 years 2 months ago #198272 by Long Street
Buy the book Photographers Market. You may find companies who deal with food photography to where you can submit your images too.

12 years 2 months ago #198276 by rmeyer7
It's possible, but I think it's rare. There's a guy in the city where I grew up who was good enough at it to get the right contracts, so he was the go-to photographer for products featured in Vons grocery store ads. (Vons is the "Safeway" of the Southern California and Las Vegas areas.) He also does some work for food product manufacturers.

He can shoot just about any product, but his portrait work is just so-so. Kind of goes to show that if you're going to specialize in something like food, you'd better be good! Good enough to make your living at it even if it's the one thing you're good at.

12 years 2 months ago #198280 by Pud

Lindsey wrote: Yes I've seen many of these which was what got me thinking about food photography ;)

Awesome. Well get practicing on food photography and see if you can offer your skills to those food bloggers

12 years 2 months ago #198338 by Jim Photo
You could always contact local restaurants and offer to take photos of their dishes for menus or other advertising they may be doing.

Photo Comments
12 years 2 months ago - 12 years 2 months ago #198340 by Scotty
I have a friend and a family member that does this for a living and they make around $200,000 a year.

It's easily the hardest field of photography to do (besides wartime PJ, but that's another story) and requires a full team to be streamlined.

If you wanna do it for money on the side, it's manageable. At full time status making good money you have to have A LOT of skill and have a lot of money to back the venture.

When the last candle has been blown out
and the last glass of champagne has been drunk
All that you are left with are the memories and the images-David Cooke.

Photo Comments
12 years 2 months ago #198417 by Wildfire

Scotty wrote: I have a friend and a family member that does this for a living and they make around $200,000 a year.

It's easily the hardest field of photography to do (besides wartime PJ, but that's another story) and requires a full team to be streamlined.

If you wanna do it for money on the side, it's manageable. At full time status making good money you have to have A LOT of skill and have a lot of money to back the venture.

I'll bite - why is this more expensive to back? Are you talking about a kitchen as a studio? Because other wise they would just need to have a table and nice selection of plates, bowls, setting stuff, etc.? Am I missing anything? The camera gear should be close to what is used in other situations? Right?

12 years 2 months ago #198459 by mklinejr
I have only one tip that I can offer on Food Photography.... eat after the shoot :toocrazy: :toocrazy: :banana:

Life is much more managable when thought of as a scavenger hunt as opposed to a surprise party - Jimmy Buffet
12 years 2 months ago - 12 years 2 months ago #198475 by sree2472

rmeyer7 wrote: It's possible, but I think it's rare. There's a guy in the city where I grew up who was good enough at it to get the right contracts, so he was the go-to photographer for products featured in Vons grocery store ads. (Vons is the "Safeway" of the Southern California and Las Vegas areas.) He also does some work for food product manufacturers.

He can shoot just about any product, but his portrait work is just so-so. Kind of goes to show that if you're going to specialize in something like food, you'd better be good! Good enough to make your living at it even if it's the one thing you're good at.

I agree to the above mentioned points. You need to be good at this and have some good contacts to start with.

For a start, why don't you take photos of some of your cooked food under various lighting and angles? this you can do along with reading the book.

I feel that even sites that deal with stock photography do have photos with food. so you can check out at any of those sites as well.

former senior writer cum features editor for Diamond World - a trading magazine for the gem and jewellery industry
12 years 2 months ago #198477 by Scotty

Wildfire wrote:

Scotty wrote: I have a friend and a family member that does this for a living and they make around $200,000 a year.

I'll bite - why is this more expensive to back? Are you talking about a kitchen as a studio? Because other wise they would just need to have a table and nice selection of plates, bowls, setting stuff, etc.? Am I missing anything? The camera gear should be close to what is used in other situations? Right?

In order to make a good living with it, you need a full work load streamlined. You'll do close to a hundred food shoots in a day, and you'll need a few editors. You'll also need design people, and professional chefs that know the tricks of the trade, because you don't use normal food sometimes to get certain affects. For camera gear most of the time you want to use Tilt-shift lenses to be able to control the depth of field correctly and avoid blown highlights. You also need lighting assistants if you're working hot lights, and if you're running strobes. Almost everything is custom lit and you can't do it all.

When the last candle has been blown out
and the last glass of champagne has been drunk
All that you are left with are the memories and the images-David Cooke.

Photo Comments
The following user(s) said Thank You: sree2472

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024