Fungus question

12 years 2 months ago #201667 by A9 Photo
I'm looking at buying a lens on Ebay. The owner states that there is a small spot of fungus inside the lens but it won't affect the photos. Can someone explain this subject to me? How does fungus get inside of a lens? Does it get worse over time? Does it affect the photos? Would you buy a lens that has fungus inside of it?

12 years 2 months ago #201670 by b0caj
Fungus usually is a result of moisture, and yes it can get worse. I would pass; however, they can be cleaned but then you would need to include the cost of cleaning with the total to help decide if it is worth the purchase.

12 years 2 months ago #201671 by Darrell
It is good he is up front about it. Sometimes it is a non issue, but other times it can spread. Unless the price is really cheap I would avoid it.

You will not be judged as a photographer by the pictures you take, but by the pictures you show.
12 years 2 months ago #201672 by john_m
As said, its caused by moisture and yes it can get worse. Im assuming the seller said it dosent affect the image because its on the inside of the front element. Do you live in a really humid area? How great of a price are you getting on the lens?

Nikon D200
Nikon 50mm f1.8D, Tokina 28-80 f2.8, Nikon 75-300, Sigma 18-200, Nikon SB-600, Nikon SB-25, Promaster triggers

12 years 2 months ago - 12 years 2 months ago #201673 by Baydream
Fungus comes from moisture and air and yes it will grow. Fungus on the outside can be cleaned but inside would require professional dis-assembly and cleaning.
The seller probably did not follow the advice in these articles.

www.ehow.com/how_6719397_fungus-removal-lens.html
www.ehow.com/how_6345894_keep-fungus-out-camera-lens.html

And this is a good article on what it is and how it will ruin the lens.
www.chem.helsinki.fi/
On the The Department of Chemistry - Laboratory for Instruction web site,
Toomas Tamm offers this info.

Does it affect Image Quality?
In its early stages, fungus as seen above does not show up on the photos. It is actually pretty dark, and since images of no lens surfaces show up on your picture, you will never get an image like those above by accident. The fungus usually starts its life in the baffles and dust in the lens barrel, and no visible effects may be seen for years. Once it reaches out onto the glass surface, it will slowly cover it with a mesh of lines. The first effect is probably very slight loss of image brightness, followed by increased flare from light reflecting off the growth. In its final stages, the lens surface may become etched by the chemicals excreted by the fungus, at which point image sharpness becomes affected. You will probably be able to use the lens for several years before it reaches this stage. Once you get there, you will need to replace the lens.

and
What Can I Do to Remove the Fungus?
Once it is there, there is very little you can do yourself. You may slow down or stop the growth by following advice from the previous section. I have heard suggestions of using ultraviolet radiation (sun rays) to kill it, but since parts of the growth are outside of the glass area, this is probably only a temporary solution. Some types of glass are not transparent to parts or the whole of ultraviolet spectrum, and the radiation will be absorbed before ever reaching the fungus. As a chemist, I have also thought of poisonous gases, but (1) they may kill you before they kill the the fungus, and (2) they may corrode the mechanics of the lens, so better do not try this.

Summary - Just say NO.

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
12 years 2 months ago #201675 by digital files
The lens was in an environment that encouraged fungus spores to grow: high humidity, spores present and food. Fungus spores are everywhere so all you need is the moisture (high relative humidity) and food. The food is organic dust -- a classic food source is organic fabric camera bags.

If the fungus is very minor it will have a negligible effect on the photos, just as a little dust inside a lens is no big deal. As the fungus increases in size it of course shows up more in the photos, primarily as a loss of contrast. If it's really bad the lens becomes unusable.

Remove the moisture and the fungus stops growing, but fungus spores are everywhere so....

The fungus itself can be cleaned from the lens however if it's on internal surfaces the lens must be taken apart -- big ($$$) job with a modern zoom lens. Cleaning the fungus however will not remove damage caused by the fungus. As the fungus grows it excretes acids that etch the lens coating and even the glass itself. This damage is permanent and if it's big enough the lens is compromised.

I would not buy a lens with fungus inside it. Fungus inside a lens dramatically devalues a lens.

12 years 2 months ago #201677 by A9 Photo

Darrell wrote: It is good he is up front about it. Sometimes it is a non issue, but other times it can spread. Unless the price is really cheap I would avoid it.

Yea, I was also thinking that's it's good the seller is honest about the fungus, however it's not IMO cheap enough for having a fungus issue.

12 years 2 months ago #201679 by A9 Photo

john_m wrote: As said, its caused by moisture and yes it can get worse. Im assuming the seller said it dosent affect the image because its on the inside of the front element. Do you live in a really humid area? How great of a price are you getting on the lens?

I don't live in a really humid area, the lens is going for $500 for a 70-200 f4

12 years 2 months ago #201680 by A9 Photo
Thank you to everyone who responded, after reading all your answers I think I am going to pass on this lens. Sounds like it will give me more trouble then it's really worth. Thanks.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024