Poll: How many photographers who make money are using Full Frame vs Crop Sensor camera?

12 years 2 months ago #202228 by Studio Queen
Random question, but I'm just curious how many actually are using a full frame vs crop sensor.

Photo Comments
12 years 2 months ago #202233 by Darrell
crop

You will not be judged as a photographer by the pictures you take, but by the pictures you show.
12 years 2 months ago #202234 by steveheap
Full frame - I think the reduced noise and ability to crop significantly and still have a usable image makes a difference

Steve

My Stock Photo Blog
www.backyardsilver.com

12 years 2 months ago #202255 by Baydream
Define "make money". Are you talking about making a full living off photography, making a supplemental income, making an occasional couple hundred bucks, or making it to the "top 1%"?

I don't think you will ever get a "correct" answer to your question. Lots of people make decent money with crop cameras and some people make next to nothing with full-framers.

Again, the skill (and sometimes luck) of the photographer makes the difference.

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
12 years 2 months ago #202259 by mj~shutterbugg

Baydream wrote: Define "make money". Are you talking about making a full living off photography, making a supplemental income, making an occasional couple hundred bucks, or making it to the "top 1%"?

I don't think you will ever get a "correct" answer to your question. Lots of people make decent money with crop cameras and some people make next to nothing with full-framers.

Again, the skill (and sometimes luck) of the photographer makes the difference.

I agree with John. Skill is huge and so is being in the right place at the right time and making your luck happen. I shoot full frame because like Steve mentioned cropping and getting a useable image is a must for me, yet I do not make tons of money- only a couple of hundred a year. But each year I get better and sell more so I just keep working and playing and trying new things. I have high hopes for lots of exposure this year, maybe not sales yet but I am making lots of head way in the networking department.

Think Off-Center ~ George Carlin
www.mjbrennanphoto.com

12 years 2 months ago #202267 by Scotty
A large majority of pro's use both to be honest.

When the last candle has been blown out
and the last glass of champagne has been drunk
All that you are left with are the memories and the images-David Cooke.

Photo Comments
12 years 2 months ago #202285 by scifitographer
I use the Canon 5D Mk II which is full frame, but I shoot landscapes, the occasional portrait or event and used to shoot weddings. If I shot sports or wildlife I would have opted for the 7D which is cropped (which to be honest wasn't announced yet when I bought the 5D Mk II). So it's not so much whether you make money or consider yourself to be a pro so much as you purchase the equipment that suits your needs and gets the job done.

12 years 2 months ago #202356 by Eddy
I can only afford one camera right now. So I'm on the crop side of the coin, but hope to get a full frame camera this year.

12 years 2 months ago - 12 years 2 months ago #202375 by Stealthy Ninja

Studio Queen wrote: Random question

OK:

When can the drum hope for the alphabetical contempt?
12 years 2 months ago #202376 by Stealthy Ninja

scifitographer wrote: I use the Canon 5D Mk II which is full frame, but I shoot landscapes, the occasional portrait or event and used to shoot weddings. If I shot sports or wildlife I would have opted for the 7D which is cropped (which to be honest wasn't announced yet when I bought the 5D Mk II). So it's not so much whether you make money or consider yourself to be a pro so much as you purchase the equipment that suits your needs and gets the job done.

yeh because the 5Dii sucks for action shots (I use to own one).

Now to answer the OP's question properly: Real pros use FF cameras. All the rest use Crop. Wanna buy my D7000? :whistle:

Seriously though, it depends on what they want it for.
12 years 2 months ago #202420 by crystal
ummm well I make money anytime I sell a print. Can't wait until my solo gallery ends (this week) to see how much I have sold from there. I use crop.
12 years 2 months ago #202421 by crystal

Stealthy Ninja wrote:
Now to answer the OP's question properly: Real pros use FF cameras. All the rest use Crop. Wanna buy my D7000? :whistle:

Seriously though, it depends on what they want it for.

Just curious, how much you want for the D7000?
12 years 2 months ago #202493 by JM 0 DER
I'm photographing my clients using a crop sensor. Clients don't seem to care what kind of camera a photographer is using. I've seen photographers shoot portraits with a point and shoot.

12 years 2 months ago #202501 by Henry Peach
When I shot film I used 35mm and medium format film for weddings and live music, and medium format and 4x5 film for portraits and landscapes.

When I switched to digital I started out with APS-C format DSLRs. After a few years I switched to 35mm DSLRs, and that's what I use for almost everything today. I have an APS-C DSLR that has been converted for infrared photography that I still use for landscapes occasionally, and I recently acquired an APS-C format compact digital camera that I have used for some landscape and live music photography.

I notice a difference in high ISO noise between my old APS-C DSLRs and my 35mm DSLRs, but the new APS-C compact is very, very close to the same high ISO noise as my oldest 35mm DSLR. For low ISO photos it appears to be impossible for photographers and non-photographers alike to determine which of my large prints were shot with APS-C or 35mm DSLRs.

Bigger is better makes the same sense for photography as it does anywhere else. Sometimes it's true, sometimes it's not, but in general people tend to believe it's always true even though there are plenty of examples of bigger not being better.
12 years 2 months ago #202943 by Crammer
Crop :thumbsup:

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024