Street photography question

12 years 2 months ago #202881 by Crammer
I'm working on building up my portfolio and experience and have decided to hit the streets. I had a few questions that I was hoping to get some help on:

1. Do you need model release form completed on all in photo? Does that matter if you are going to publish photo vs keep for personal portfolio?

2. Have people ever asked you why are you taking their photos? How did you respond?

3. Are there any text book street photography "don'ts? that you can share?

Photo Comments
12 years 2 months ago #202884 by Nick Show
street photography does not require model release form, (last I read and learned about street photography, but that could have changed). I did try street photography but it's not for me. I'll stick with actual sit down portraits.

12 years 2 months ago #202887 by Crammer
Sit down portraits = money spent. I would rather get some free experience at this time :thumbsup:

Photo Comments
12 years 2 months ago #202889 by Nick Show

Crammer wrote: Sit down portraits = money spent. I would rather get some free experience at this time :thumbsup:

Yes, but sit down portraits may = money spent, but it also = money gain. :)
Street photography is free experience for sure, but it doesn't teach you studio lighting and customer relations. It does however teach you how to get out of traffic's way and how to not get mother's staring you down and coming over to you asking you if you just photograph their child etc..

12 years 2 months ago #202905 by chasrich
1. Do you need model release form completed on all in photo? Does that matter if you are going to publish photo vs keep for personal portfolio?

This is a subject that usually offers up various opinions. If you were to produce an advertisement for example that would be published and make a lot of money then a model release would be needed especially if the persons face was the main subject in the image. I don't worry about it unless I'm using a model and they are the primary subject.

2. Have people ever asked you why are you taking their photos? How did you respond?

I have had people ask me what I am doing. I usually tell them I am practicing my hobby. I have given them business cards and offered to send them copies of some of the shots if I captured any good ones. I had one lady get very mad about me taking her photo but I think that was paranoia on her part and she might have been an illegal alien maybe. I had security at a water park ask me about my photos. A parent had complained about me shooting in the childrens area of the park. We had a brief conversation to help them close their "case" file and I was asked to be considerate of parents concerns.

3. Are there any text book street photography "don'ts? that you can share?

I'm not sure of any books covering this... Don't invade a persons privacy. No shooting through glass floors. Keep the lens cap on in bathrooms, etc. etc...

“Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light, I just make pictures… ” ~ Vernon Trent
12 years 2 months ago #202910 by Darrell
:agree: :agree:

I do avoid getting pics of children.

You will not be judged as a photographer by the pictures you take, but by the pictures you show.
12 years 2 months ago #203235 by Absolute 99
Every once in awhile I will go out to shoot some street photography, just to change the pace of shooting. I do not bother with release forms as I have no intent of selling the images. I will photograph anything that looks interesting, children playing, woman showing emtion, men feeling angry, boys being boys and girls being girls, pets sniffing at god knows what etc.. I am there to photograph life and that is what I do.

12 years 2 months ago #203249 by icepics
I think it depends on usage, see ASMP or other professional photography organizations' websites for info. and sample release forms. I believe the guideline is for editorial (newspapers etc.) a release is not needed; for commercial (money-making) you would need a release.

ASMP did have a sample 'pocket' release that would be more convenient to carry. When doing photos in public there is what is considered to be a reasonable expectation of privacy, which would prohibit photos in restrooms, locker rooms etc. in public places. It's up to the photographer I suppose how you approach people, I would be respectful and if someone asks not to have their picture taken I'd comply with their request.

I think ASMP also has a separate release form for Under 18. You would need parents' permission I think to photograph children so it would probably be better to ask first.

Sharon
Photo Comments
12 years 2 months ago #203260 by geoffellis
Model releases are all about PRIVACY and LIABILITY, and nothing to do with copyright or permission to take photos. If they are in public, you are allowed to take their photo.

The privacy issue is when you publish the photos. While it is considered legally acceptable for a journalist or news outlet to do this... If it is for something like an ad you open yourself up to civil libel/defamation lawsuits from the "model"
12 years 2 months ago #203288 by icepics
The laws may vary in different countries or different states etc. In the US there is a reasonable expectation of privacy in public places. That would in someplace like a public restroom or locker room where there is an expectation of privacy in using the facility, or it would be related to someone's personal space even in public.

True the permission given in is more related to usage, and copyright is separate from the release and would be determined after the photo is taken.

Sharon
Photo Comments
12 years 2 months ago #203311 by KCook

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

11 years 10 months ago #234294 by sshival
Yes I agree on everyone thoughts on Model release which rarely make any sense in India. Street Photography is for the brave and I find it little intimidating. If you have a telephoto lens then you save yourself a bit but the real fun comes when you use Primes/small zooms. I have seen so many angry glares and at times too much for me. But on the other hand it gives you a chance to communicate with strangers and make them at ease and help someone who is introvert to come out of his/her shell. :cheers:

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024