How do you/did you get notice?

12 years 1 month ago #203215 by Absolute 99
Just wondering, my first question how did you get notice? to start doing portraits or wedding or even shooting nature to the point that you are now making money from it (even if you only sold 1 landscape photo)

And my 2nd question, How does one get notice? How do I get myself out there to let people know I am here hire me.

12 years 1 month ago #203216 by Luis 1956
Deviant art is Pretty good for exposing your work. I sold a couple of work there. Maybe try local art shops?

12 years 1 month ago #203218 by Absolute 99
I have browsed through deviant art but never joined. I guess maybe I should.

12 years 1 month ago #203222 by Mr. Borg
It takes knowledge of marketing, promotion, and advertising.

Most "overnight" successes, have been working at it diligently for years.

It takes commitment, perseverance, good communication skills both verbal and written, and an ability to project professionalism.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Trilby
12 years 1 month ago #203239 by icepics
There is info. available on websites of professional photography organizations like ASMP that would probably give you some idea of what's involved in doing work in photography.

Sharon
Photo Comments
12 years 1 month ago #203255 by scifitographer
Start selling at artshows and networking with people. If you want to be a portrait photographer start taking portraits and showing them to others as part of your portfolio. Network with people. If there's a local framer ask if they need photographs to display in a frame or two, almost every town has a shop that just carries items from local artists, offer to take photos for a local charity event. I carry a tablet with me at all times with my latest and favorite work on it so I can show it off if the question comes up (or entertain myself)... Start with family and friends, see if they'll spread the word for you, when I was shooting weddings most of my business came from word of mouth.

12 years 1 month ago #203271 by Absolute 99

icepics wrote: There is info. available on websites of professional photography organizations like ASMP that would probably give you some idea of what's involved in doing work in photography.

Can you clarify what ASMP stands for? and thanks.

12 years 1 month ago #203273 by Absolute 99

scifitographer wrote: Start selling at artshows and networking with people. If you want to be a portrait photographer start taking portraits and showing them to others as part of your portfolio. Network with people. If there's a local framer ask if they need photographs to display in a frame or two, almost every town has a shop that just carries items from local artists, offer to take photos for a local charity event. I carry a tablet with me at all times with my latest and favorite work on it so I can show it off if the question comes up (or entertain myself)... Start with family and friends, see if they'll spread the word for you, when I was shooting weddings most of my business came from word of mouth.

A lot of information there, thank you so much. :thumbsup: I have seen some local framing stores, but I figure they just do frames, not actually display artwork.

12 years 1 month ago #203291 by icepics
ASMP is the American Society of Media Photographers - www.asmp.org . Another is PPA - Professional Photographers of America at www.ppa.com . If you google professional photography organizations you'd find more, there are a lot of regional and local groups.

Sharon
Photo Comments
12 years 1 month ago - 12 years 1 month ago #203306 by Karl Wertanen

Absolute 99 wrote: Just wondering, my first question how did you get notice? to start doing portraits or wedding or even shooting nature to the point that you are now making money from it (even if you only sold 1 landscape photo)

And my 2nd question, How does one get notice? How do I get myself out there to let people know I am here hire me.

Even this very website is a pretty good place to get noticed! I've done a few theme posts on the forums with photos from lighthouses, parks, waterfalls and such (non theme as well) with a little info included about the place and how i took the photo and I later found that PhotographyTalk posted my forum thread to thier FB wall. The image links I used were direct links from my website. On my website I have the ability to check to see how many hits any one of my photos get per day, week, or month and the 2 lighthouse photos I pasted to the forum thread both had over 2,500 hits each in 1 day. :woohoo:
Now I know most Facebook subscribers to PhotographyTalk are other photographers but it doesn't hurt to establish your work out there with other enthusiasts as well. :) Just a thought..... :cheers:

Oh, and props and thanks for PhotographyTalk for posting my work!!! Greatly appreciated!! :judge: :judge: :judge: :cheers:
12 years 1 month ago #203308 by scifitographer

Absolute 99 wrote: A lot of information there, thank you so much. :thumbsup: I have seen some local framing stores, but I figure they just do frames, not actually display artwork.

People like to see stuff being used as display items, so a frame being displayed, even though the frame is the product for sale, usually has a piece of artwork inside of it that will compliment the frame.

12 years 1 month ago #203321 by icepics
I think it depends on your purpose in getting your photos noticed and what you want to accomplish - you'd need to get your photos seen by someone who would be interested in using, purchasing, publishing your photos etc. if that's what you hope to do. Your options would probably be determined partly by what type photos you take (such as landscapes, wildlife, portraits etc.).

Sharon
Photo Comments
12 years 1 month ago #203342 by Trilby
Develop your own style and get it out there. If you're doing portraits they gotta have an edge because everyones doing them. You either have to be doing what everyone else is doing better than everyone else is doing it, or develop your own style. If you're into fine art stuff, exhibitions and competitions are invaluable, it's worth paying an entry fee or two.

There is no black & white; it's all 18% grey.
12 years 1 month ago #203364 by TheNissanMan
For me it was talking to various people at the locations I was taking photo's... for the motorsport which looks as if it may start taking off in the enxt month or so when the season I starts I started talking to a transport company we use who in turn invited me to an event last year where I got talking to the media crew, the media crew looked at the shots I was getting and gave me a bib and then looked at the shots I got and now have a media bib and invites to a couple of events this year and am being flown over to Norway for a big event in May...

Get talking to people, show them what you can do (not ina pushy way) and hope you get a good break :)

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024

The Canon 1DX Mark III is a big, burly professional camera packed with top-end features. Is it worth the investment in 2024? Find out in this detailed review!

Mar 04, 2024

In the OM-1 vs OM-5 debate, which camera comes out on top? Though they’re different cameras for different purposes, comparing them head to head clarifies which is best for your needs.

Mar 01, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Opening a photography business means undertaking various photography marketing strategies to promote your work. But you don’t want to do the same old thing - try these unique ideas!

Mar 22, 2024

The Canon EOS 80D might be a few years old, but it’s nevertheless a quality camera to invest in as a beginner or enthusiast looking for a mid-range DSLR with tons of lens options.

Mar 22, 2024

Wedding consultations are a critical part of a wedding photography gig. It’s when you learn about the couple and their wants, and present them with how you will meet those desires.

Mar 22, 2024

If you're looking for the best metal print of 2023, you'll find it from Artbeat Studios. After months of testing, Artbeat Studios beat out the competition!

Mar 21, 2024

Getting the best video shots on your camera or smartphone requires you to understand the fundamentals of composition and video editing. It helps to have the appropriate gear, too!

Mar 20, 2024

It’s easy to lose your inspiration behind the lens, especially as a beginner. These creative photography projects can help inspire you to try new techniques and improve your photos.

Mar 20, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024