How would you handling this last minute wedding cancelation?

12 years 3 weeks ago #207531 by Lucky One
This is a first time this has happened. I had a wedding to shoot yesterday, I was on location and had started photographing the event. I won't bore you with the details, but will say it was a emotional ceremony and the bride must have gotten cold feet and stormed off cancelling the wedding.

I didn't approach the groom and the bride was no where around. I have time invested into yesterday and started taking photos. I'm on the fence on how to handle this and could really use some advise.

I don't want to come across as insensitive of what happened by referencing the contract about the deposit. When would you make the initial call or email to them?

I would hate to get up in their face about covering my butt, and then they get back together and don't want to do business with the self centered photographer. I don't want to come across that way.

So again, any help you can give would be great.

12 years 3 weeks ago #207543 by Grind 4
Well your contract should state something along the lines about wedding cancelation, you still get your money etc.. Keep in mind, you are like every one else they hired that day. The reception hall, the food, the dj etc.. they will probably still have to pay all those people, although the wedding did not go through. So you shouldn't be any different, you should also get paid. Maybe wait until tomorrow to call back.

12 years 3 weeks ago #207550 by Darrell
Oh that sucks, :woohoo:

I think they owe you the money, perhaps offering a discount if they want to reschedule...

You will not be judged as a photographer by the pictures you take, but by the pictures you show.
12 years 3 weeks ago #207557 by Lucky One
I know legally on paper the deposit is mine to keep. This is one of those moral/ethical questions I guess. I would like to see how others would approach this touchy situation.

Thanks!

12 years 3 weeks ago #207562 by Darrell
Another thing to think of:

The contract is there to prevent you from being ripped off, that is not the case here, this is an unfortunate situation. Ask yourself: would you have been making money at another wedding if you were not at this one? If no, I myself would keep the deposit and wish them the best, and not charge them the full amount. As far as comparing this situation to some of the other businesses hired, it is not the same, ie food, that has to be paid for, DJ is the same boat as you. Again the intent of the contract is to protect you from some jerk calling you and saying we changed our mind or not paying you etc.

You will not be judged as a photographer by the pictures you take, but by the pictures you show.
12 years 3 weeks ago #207569 by geoffellis
Well, I would probably take into consideration their financial state. If it was a huge wedding that obviously had a lot of money put into it... chances are they are pretty well off... and can afford to bite the bullet... since it is their problem

however if it looks like they might be struggling financially... or you know... the average working class... i probably wouldnt want to put any additional undue hardship on them. Id still want to be paid for my time and work lost... but you have to consider that you were only there for 2? hours... and you wont have to do 8+ hours of editing or whatever. charging them 2000$ (or whatever your rate was) for approx 2 hours, or whatever, of your time is a bit excessive? in my opinion.

but im not a professional photographer.
12 years 3 weeks ago #207575 by icepics
If this just happened I'd give it a little time, obviously the bride and groom and their families were not expecting this week to be contacting people to make arrangements due to a cancelled wedding. I'd probably take into consideration that you didn't have to stay and work the amount of time expected, and most likely won't be providing photos.

Some payment would need to be made to cover your time,so I guess you'll need to decide if the deposit would be a fair amount or if you feel you need to charge a payment beyond that. I don't know that I'd take their financial situation into consideration particularly unless you sometimes use a sliding scale or adjust what you charge according to financial circumstances. I don't think I'd bill someone for the full cost of an unexpected cancellation but that's your decision.

Sharon
Photo Comments
12 years 3 weeks ago #207584 by Lucky One
You guys are very helpful. I'm heading into meeting right now and just wanted to thank you all for your input. When I get home tonight I'm going to jump back in here.

:cheers:

12 years 3 weeks ago #207585 by photobod
Icepics has it nailed, follow that advice and you will be fine, also speak to them to see if they are planning to reschedule, time may make the bride realise she made a rash decision, give it about 7 days, if they wish to reschedule then do a deal, maybe keep half the deposit to cover your lost day and ask them to pay another deposit to book the new day, just be honest with them, keep the conversation calm, explain your reasons for doing what you are doing. :thumbsup:

www.dcimages.org.uk
"A good photograph is one that communicate a fact, touches the heart, leaves the viewer a changed person for having seen it. It is, in a word, effective." - Irving Penn

12 years 3 weeks ago - 12 years 3 weeks ago #207615 by john_m
Like Sharon said, if the deposit covers the time you invested then let it go. If you want to entice them to use you again, if they get married, just tell them you will discount the next shoot by the deposit already paid.

Nikon D200
Nikon 50mm f1.8D, Tokina 28-80 f2.8, Nikon 75-300, Sigma 18-200, Nikon SB-600, Nikon SB-25, Promaster triggers

12 years 3 weeks ago #207708 by Joves

Grind 4 wrote: Well your contract should state something along the lines about wedding cancelation, you still get your money etc.. Keep in mind, you are like every one else they hired that day. The reception hall, the food, the dj etc.. they will probably still have to pay all those people, although the wedding did not go through. So you shouldn't be any different, you should also get paid. Maybe wait until tomorrow to call back.

:agree:
This is the correct answer. Do you think any of those vendors are going to eat the costs because the bride got cold feet? Nor should you. I doubt they will pay you for your time but in no way shape or form would I ever give back a deposit because the customer flaked out. And they will request a return of the deposit eventually. I have had people try that with me in non-photo related fields. They change their minds after signing a contract and Im about to do the work, they always ask for the deposit back and I tell them to go pound sand literally.

12 years 3 weeks ago #207930 by Happy-pixel
This has happened to me before, it's unfortunate situation for bride and groom. You have a business to run, not a charity. Keep what you are suppose to, and move on.

Photo Comments
12 years 3 weeks ago #207933 by _Colleen_
If you are not looking for any more money than the deposit, I would wait for them to contact you.

I do not comment often, but when I do, it is always profound. **Laughing at myself**
11 years 8 months ago #239287 by mizzmaster
The fact is, you could have booked another wedding on that date so you should be compensated fully as if the wedding happened. It is not your fault that she ran. If you were a lawyer and the client did not show up, I guarantee you the lawyer would still charge you for their time so why is this any different?

11 years 8 months ago #239304 by clark
For me personally, there are a few good responses here. I don't think anyone would think you insensitive if you got it touch after a few days, maybe 7 at the out side !!!!
I know looking at the dates on this, it was a number of months ago now!!!!!
So maybe it would be nice if the photographer posted again, to let us all know the outcome ??????

If you have taken the time to have proper contract drawn up and signed by the prospective newlyweds - and yourself of course.
For me a part of that contract should stat that deposits are NON REFUNDABLE, in the event of an earlier cancellation / postponement etc....
And also that the full payment should be received a month or 4 weeks before the set date, to cover any last minute cancellations as in this case.
This way you are not left out of pocket, because you most probably could have booked someone else's big day for that date.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024

The Canon 1DX Mark III is a big, burly professional camera packed with top-end features. Is it worth the investment in 2024? Find out in this detailed review!

Mar 04, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Time management is a critical skill to master when you’re a photographer. But how do you get the most out of the limited time you have? Check out this guide to learn a few tricks!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Opening a photography business means undertaking various photography marketing strategies to promote your work. But you don’t want to do the same old thing - try these unique ideas!

Mar 22, 2024

The Canon EOS 80D might be a few years old, but it’s nevertheless a quality camera to invest in as a beginner or enthusiast looking for a mid-range DSLR with tons of lens options.

Mar 22, 2024

Wedding consultations are a critical part of a wedding photography gig. It’s when you learn about the couple and their wants, and present them with how you will meet those desires.

Mar 22, 2024

If you're looking for the best metal print of 2023, you'll find it from Artbeat Studios. After months of testing, Artbeat Studios beat out the competition!

Mar 21, 2024

Getting the best video shots on your camera or smartphone requires you to understand the fundamentals of composition and video editing. It helps to have the appropriate gear, too!

Mar 20, 2024