How do you handle the mob photographers during weddings

12 years 1 month ago #210310 by Frost Photography
Question #1 for me on Photographytalk :banana:

I've recently jumped into wedding photography and have noticed at all my weddings that the mob can easily take over my shooting space with their point and shoot cameras. Generally this is family and friends of the bride and groom. As you know during the wedding there isn't a ton of time to frame up shots or taking photos in general as the bride and groom are always moving. A couple times the mob photographers have caused me to miss a couple photo opportunities.

I would like to hear from others what do you say with out coming across as rude? I know I should have priority there, and I've noticed both times the bride or groom didn't say anything to the mob and got tied up into the mob's photo opp.

I could use some tips here.

Larry

"The quickest way to make money at photography is to sell your camera."
Photo Comments
12 years 1 month ago #210315 by Darrell
That is really to bad. I have only had a few problems and it was always a single shooter. Actually the last wedding I did the minister announced that I was the only one permitted to take pictures. I will speak firm and friendly to anyone in my way.

You will not be judged as a photographer by the pictures you take, but by the pictures you show.
12 years 1 month ago #210404 by effron
Usually either the bride's father, and sometimes the mother will be the one to take aside. Let them know how its got to be......;)

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
12 years 1 month ago #210447 by Henry Peach
You have to anticipate the mob of photographers, and move faster than and out think them. It's just part of the job these days.
12 years 1 month ago #210501 by ChrisPenn
Well first when you meet with the bride and groom, let them know...to let their guests know there will be plenty of time to take pictures after you are done. When people come along and start shooting, before they can even get one shot, politely tell the guests, this time is so I can get professional photographs of the bride and groom can you please wait a few mins.

12 years 1 month ago #210512 by photobod
No point in asking the B&G to tell people they are to wrapped up in their day, when I meet the B&G I get them to appoint a contact person for me, usually the best man sometimes the chief bridesmaid, they are the people to get on your side, have a word with said person and ask them to have words with guests to avoid getting in your way, if it happens anyway go straight to the appointed person and ask him to ask them to move, it works for me, you also have to be in control yourself, be firm not rude, speak with a smile on your face at all times and if the appointed person proves useless take complete control, tell the mob to move back and let you do your job, your contract should also state that any missed photos due to guests interference will not be your responsibility.
At all times you must be ion firm control or you should not be doing wedding photography.
:whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :toocrazy: :toocrazy: :toocrazy:

www.dcimages.org.uk
"A good photograph is one that communicate a fact, touches the heart, leaves the viewer a changed person for having seen it. It is, in a word, effective." - Irving Penn

12 years 1 month ago #210698 by James L

Henry Peach wrote: You have to anticipate the mob of photographers, and move faster than and out think them. It's just part of the job these days.

:agree: be quick on the feet and first to shutter

Photo Comments
12 years 1 month ago #210739 by Frost Photography
Helpful information everyone, this sure gives me some ideas and insight for next time!

"The quickest way to make money at photography is to sell your camera."
Photo Comments
12 years 1 month ago #210740 by Stealthy Ninja
Be more confident and louder than the mob.

So many times I've helped photograph a wedding for friends (not for money and not as the main photographer, just a guest taking photos). I try to keep out of the main photographers way and not be the focus. But for some reason these "pros" (actually some dude hired by the wedding factory the B&G went to) can't dominate. Even when I'm not trying people come to me to get photos taken etc.

I guess some people exhibit an air of authority and professionalism and some don't. Helps I'm a 190cm (6'4") 100kg (220lb) Westerner perhaps.

Funny thing is, outside of photography and video work, I'm not a really outgoing person. I'd prefer others to take the limelight. But get a camera in my hand and things change. Weird.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024