Would you buy used camera stuff from Ebay?

13 years 5 months ago #2141 by Fiesta!
You obviously don't get any warranty, and there is always the risk that the stuff won't be as nice as they describe it to be.

What are your thoughts?

Photo Comments
13 years 5 months ago #2142 by canongirl
I am always very cautious when I purchase anything on ebay. With that being said I have purchased different pieces of camera equipment on ebay, and I have always had great luck. Just make sure that the ebay seller has good feedback. Are you considering purchasing from ebay?

13 years 5 months ago #2150 by Vladimir
I have used Ebay many times, but always make sure the seller has REALLY good history

Photo Comments
13 years 5 months ago #2344 by Tom
thanks everyone for putting this question and comments in.. I was considering ebay but wasn't sure if it was a good idea or not. I'm more concerned with getting a warranty.

13 years 5 months ago #2349 by luckyme
No I wouldn't... I want that warranty...and I want to know that the camera is brand new. I guess I'm spoiled a little, but that's important to me.

13 years 5 months ago #2471 by Daisy
I bought my canon rebel brand new! but I'm not sure if i'd buy anything from ebay as far as camera stuff...

13 years 5 months ago #2512 by Cameron
If you want a warranty you could always filter the search for new items only, a lot of the sellers even offer a warranty. I always buy with PayPal, and If the equipment isn't any good, just send it back for a refund. I always look for items with low postage costs, as this isn't refunded most of the time, but some sellers have even refunded the postage on items I have returned. The refund goes back into your PayPal account, and you can just buy another item with that.
btw eBay have changed the rules and you only get 6 weeks now (I think) to return items.

13 years 5 months ago #2765 by animeguy
I've known people in my class who've bought their cameras from ebay, but I've only watched stuff. I'm not that lucky. :P

I dont think I'd buy used stuff...cause I'm picky about used electronics if something goes wrong with it.

13 years 5 months ago #2811 by Cameron
Yeah the one good thing with eBay is you can often pick up a bargain, stuff can be a LOT cheaper. Even with new stuff, it often isn't build to last, and even if it does last, it quickly goes out of date so you have to buy again anyway!

13 years 5 months ago #2873 by 007
I would buy from ebay, I would just make sure that the seller had a great feedback rating.

13 years 5 months ago #2903 by Sam
No I wouldn't! I bought my canon 7D brand new...thats the only way I would purchase a camera.

13 years 3 weeks ago #32946 by chasrich
My last purchase was a $700 lens bought on ebay used for $360.00. I dropped a message to the seller who responded promptly and we began a brief exchange. His history was perfect as was the lens when I opened the box. Had I not liked the item I could have sent it back and gotten my money back with the loss of the return shipping costs. The six year warranty registration was included along with the original receipt. It had all of the paper work, original box and included an unexpected gift of a lens hood.

My advice is to be cautious, feel comfortable even if the deal is "worst case" then make your move. I've been fortunate with the many things I have purchased like this so maybe my optimistic approach is due to my good shopping karma.

“Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light, I just make pictures… ” ~ Vernon Trent
13 years 3 weeks ago #32947 by arkady001
I buy a lot of camera kit off ebay and only ever had one drama and that was with someone i actually knew from real life.
Just be careful and it's fine...

I currently have two D3 bodies, a 24-85mm f/2.8; 35mm f/2; 50mm f/1.4; 85mm f/1.4; 70-200 f/2.8 VR-II all sourced through eBay.
My only 'new' camera body is my D3x - paid full-price up in London and now I wish I'd saved some cash on that as well...

13 years 3 weeks ago #32949 by dennisthemennis.co.uk
like everyone else here I would just say check their history anything less than 100% feedback and I ask questions. get into a conversation with them, if they reply making sense then you might be onto a winner. personally if its new stuff I am buying I wouldn't buy it from ebay especially as many are masquerading as UK sellers now when infact they are shipping from overseas at a rate of 1 month delivery.

13 years 3 weeks ago #32950 by Screamin Scott
I've bought lots of gear off of eBay. It can be a crap shoot though. Different people's idea of a piece of gears condition can vary widely. Check out the sellers feedback & ASK QUESTIONS...Lot's of sellers out there know almost nothing about camera gear they are selling...I bought lots of manual focus lenses years ago & they are selling for a lot more than the used to. Be careful though as I see many items selling for more than what they are worth...

Scott Ditzel Photography

www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024

The Canon 1DX Mark III is a big, burly professional camera packed with top-end features. Is it worth the investment in 2024? Find out in this detailed review!

Mar 04, 2024

In the OM-1 vs OM-5 debate, which camera comes out on top? Though they’re different cameras for different purposes, comparing them head to head clarifies which is best for your needs.

Mar 01, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Time management is a critical skill to master when you’re a photographer. But how do you get the most out of the limited time you have? Check out this guide to learn a few tricks!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Opening a photography business means undertaking various photography marketing strategies to promote your work. But you don’t want to do the same old thing - try these unique ideas!

Mar 22, 2024

The Canon EOS 80D might be a few years old, but it’s nevertheless a quality camera to invest in as a beginner or enthusiast looking for a mid-range DSLR with tons of lens options.

Mar 22, 2024

Wedding consultations are a critical part of a wedding photography gig. It’s when you learn about the couple and their wants, and present them with how you will meet those desires.

Mar 22, 2024

If you're looking for the best metal print of 2023, you'll find it from Artbeat Studios. After months of testing, Artbeat Studios beat out the competition!

Mar 21, 2024

Getting the best video shots on your camera or smartphone requires you to understand the fundamentals of composition and video editing. It helps to have the appropriate gear, too!

Mar 20, 2024

It’s easy to lose your inspiration behind the lens, especially as a beginner. These creative photography projects can help inspire you to try new techniques and improve your photos.

Mar 20, 2024