Why are Adorama and B&H closed on Saturday?

11 years 11 months ago #215229 by The Gardener
First off I know it's their Sabbath and I understand that. But these guys are smart cookies, why not have NON Jewish people working the shops during the weekend if need be. I can hardly imagine the money that they lose from that one day being closed. Forget about the internet sales that don't take place. The walk in traffic on a weekend in one of the largest cities in the world has got to be staggering.

Speaking of internet sales, that is one thing I don't understand. Last I checked the internet is un-manned. No one needs to operate the "internet", so why close down sales? Leave the site open for sales and just process them on Sunday or Monday? No business lost from internet at that point. See my point?

Comments?

Photo Comments
11 years 11 months ago #215236 by bs3f
I completely agree and unless the owners of B&H and Adorama answer your question themselves i don't think you're going to get the correct answer. We all can guess an answer but who knows what the real reason is....well maybe someone does know. i am curious too.

11 years 11 months ago - 11 years 11 months ago #215258 by icepics
If you search on Google maps for synagogues in Manhattan you'd see how many are in that area; apparently being closed on Saturdays is what works in their neighborhood. Any business that's closed on Saturday or Sunday probably processes orders and ships on Monday.

Many businesses like art galleries, antique shops/dealers, etc. are closed on Mondays; many types of businesses are closed on at least one of those three days. Does everything need to be open 24/7?? - businesses can set weekend hours if they choose. If you don't like their policies you don't have to support them and make purchases from them.

Sharon
Photo Comments
11 years 11 months ago #215356 by Joves
They are Hasidic Jews which are very orthodox to say the least. They close on the Sabbath and all holidays including Passover which is coming up. I have no problem with them doing what they believe. Most of the time you have 6 days in which to order things.

11 years 11 months ago #215360 by John Landolfi
In observing the Sabbath, you are not only proscribed from working yourself, but also from causing others to work. And, Icepics and Joves make the point.

Photo Comments
11 years 11 months ago #215381 by Frost Photography
Are these companies owned by the same people or family rather?

"The quickest way to make money at photography is to sell your camera."
Photo Comments
11 years 11 months ago - 11 years 11 months ago #215400 by Baydream

Frost Photography wrote: Are these companies owned by the same people or family rather?

No. Check this thread. www.photographytalk.com/forum/photograph...owned-by-same-family

As for the internet issue, this quote from the B&H web site regarding the upcoming holiday.
"B&H will be closed Friday April 6th in observance of Passover and will reopen on Sunday April 15th at 10:00AM EDT.
Orders must be placed by 4:00PM EDT on Thursday April 5th in order to ship before the Holiday.
Orders placed after this time will ship when we reopen.
We apologize for the inconvenience and appreciate your patronage."

Therefore you can order goods but the "work" of shipping them will have to wait.
Yes, they probably do lose some money to other retailers but they are true to their faith.

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
11 years 11 months ago #215409 by KenStephens
If you are familiar with the Chik-fil-A restaurants, you will see that they are closed every Sunday. When he founded the first restaurant many years ago, Truett Cathy did it for two reasons--one, he didn't believe in working on Sunday, and two, he believed that his employees needed one day when they didn't have to work.

For years, marketing experts have told him how much money he is "losing" on Sundays. He just grins and points to his revenues and profits.

11 years 11 months ago #215425 by HawaiiGuy
Adorama and B&H both have a great service. Following faith for anyone I think it very important. :thumbsup:

11 years 11 months ago #215460 by PNMBritt
I have done business with Adorama for years and love the way that they have always taken care of me. I am not Jewish myself, but I respect their beliefs. I had a Hindi individual raise sand with me once because my studio was closed on Christmas.

In life there have always been those who make fire; but most just sit around the fire and enjoy the warmth. A great mind absent of action is waste.
11 years 11 months ago #215490 by effron
Its amusing, there are times it seems no one can be pleased. If these places were open round the clock, there is a large element of our society that would accuse them being greedy, money grubbers at any cost, corporate dogs.
Personally, I have purchased quite a lot of gear from both houses, and have never been in such a rush their closings have caused me anguish......;)

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
11 years 11 months ago #215684 by Number 7
When did these stores open doors?

Photo Comments
11 years 11 months ago #215690 by Baydream
B&H 1973
Adorama 1976

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
11 years 11 months ago - 11 years 11 months ago #215977 by HelenOster

The Gardener wrote: First off I know it's their Sabbath and I understand that. But these guys are smart cookies, why not have NON Jewish people working the shops during the weekend if need be. I can hardly imagine the money that they lose from that one day being closed. Forget about the internet sales that don't take place. The walk in traffic on a weekend in one of the largest cities in the world has got to be staggering.

At Adorama we do appreciate that our closing times can be inconvenient to some of our potential customers.
Adorama's owner is an observant orthodox Jewish gentleman, whose beliefs prohibit him - his family and his business - from operating on the Sabbath and on many of the religious holidays (which all begin an hour prior to sunset the evening before the day of the holiday, which is why we close early on Fridays).

We can't employ non-Jews here during those days, because to do so would involve the company conducting business - which is forbidden in Jewish Law.

Most holidays are actually only one or two days; two are week-long holidays. We do try to minimize inconvenience to our customers, by publicizing our closing dates well in advance.
After the holiday(s) end(s), we do reopen our sales and shipping departments as soon as possible in order to deal with the inevitable backlog of orders.
We would also take on add additional staff in the customer service, sales and shipping departments if necessary to help reduce backlogs and speed up the service to our customers.

In this era of 24-hour commerce, I guess it's unusual to find that there really are still people who consider their spiritual duty to be more important than squeezing money out of our customers at every opportunity. I receive frequent emails from customers who state that in this day and age it is comforting to know there are people around who do not place money before all else.

Many businesses in the US and elsewhere in the world force employees to work on holidays when the time is better spent with their friends and families - or just relaxing by themselves.

We are grateful for the understanding of our customers that this is an important element of our owner's value system. Perhaps the following links to articles in the Washington Post & the New York Times will help to make some sense of our closure policies:

online.wsj.com/article_email/SB109269113...3o5yubXSHaK6Jm4.html

www.nytimes.com/2006/01/09/technology/09...tml?_r=1&oref=slogin

I hope this helps

Helen Oster
[email protected]

11 years 11 months ago #215978 by HelenOster

Frost Photography wrote: Are these companies owned by the same people or family rather?

No; although I believe there may be some connection or other via marriage, however, in terms of commerce, no relationship.

But you may find this interesting: search.babylon.com/web/Leica+freedom+tra...babsrc=browsersearch

Helen Oster
[email protected]

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024

The Canon 1DX Mark III is a big, burly professional camera packed with top-end features. Is it worth the investment in 2024? Find out in this detailed review!

Mar 04, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Smartphone photos have come a long way in recent years. With their increase in quality comes the ability to create large prints. Learn why canvas is a great option for your phone photos!

Mar 29, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Time management is a critical skill to master when you’re a photographer. But how do you get the most out of the limited time you have? Check out this guide to learn a few tricks!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Opening a photography business means undertaking various photography marketing strategies to promote your work. But you don’t want to do the same old thing - try these unique ideas!

Mar 22, 2024

The Canon EOS 80D might be a few years old, but it’s nevertheless a quality camera to invest in as a beginner or enthusiast looking for a mid-range DSLR with tons of lens options.

Mar 22, 2024

Wedding consultations are a critical part of a wedding photography gig. It’s when you learn about the couple and their wants, and present them with how you will meet those desires.

Mar 22, 2024

If you're looking for the best metal print of 2023, you'll find it from Artbeat Studios. After months of testing, Artbeat Studios beat out the competition!

Mar 21, 2024