Have you heard of International Freelance Photographers Organization IFPO?

12 years 3 days ago #219980 by ThatNikonGuy
I just got an email from a friend who is trying to get started into photography asking me about this organization. Apparently you are able to get press credentials and the site provides some valuable resources to it's members. I'm not familiar with the company so unable to help my friend out. If you know of this company please share your thoughts on their program. Thank you.

Photo Comments
12 years 3 days ago #220011 by Baydream
I joined (sent in my one-time fee) and have ID cards, etc. Not sure if the "press credentials" you can get from them (at extra cost) would be honored anywhere. I haven't received anything additional from them other than advertising to get "enhanced cards" and other ID pieces.

I think Rob Huelsman (Rob pix4u2), our hockey guy is a member. Perhaps he can add more.

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
12 years 2 days ago #220053 by Foxy Girl
I almost signed up for this in November, but I never heard back from them. I'm working on getting into fashion photography and wanted to know if the credentials would be helpful to getting access to fashion shows?

Photo Comments
12 years 2 days ago #220067 by Rob pix4u2
I've been an IFPO member since 1993 and yes the credentials do help to gain access and assignments. The one time membership fee is worth it as it helped me get started in sports photography.. If you have any specific questions send me a PM and I will try and answer as best I can

Remember to engage brain before putting mouth in gear
Rob Huelsman Sr.
My Facebook www.facebook.com/ImaginACTIONPhotography

12 years 2 days ago #220125 by icepics
This has come up before and I'd run across them in the past, from what I've been able to find out they don't seem to actually be an organization as much as they're set up to sell credentials (can't find an office, board of directors, officers, etc.). Of course Rob has a legitimate use for these for road games, but unfortunately I think this could be likely to attract people who just want to get into a sporting event for free, hang out with their camera and get access to the players etc.

From what I remember reading they don't seem to have the best reputation anymore, although they may have at one time, I don't know. They do some sort of magazine and use that to obtain credentials for people on the premise that you'd be taking photos for that; but the magazine supposedly has articles like how to use a digital camera which, if you are really using credentials and covering an event, why would you want their magazine, you'd already know
how to use a camera.

I don't know if the credentials would be accepted by teams, at events and venues, or not. Teams at minor league and college level that I'm familiar with issue their own credentials, and you have to go thru the PR director or the SID at a university. There are ways you can request credentials without having to pay for these.

Foxy if you're seriously interested in doing fashion photography, it might be worth getting acquainted with people at the fashion events and go thru them for credentials. Once they get to know you and see that you're there to work at your photography, they could be willing to allow you future access or it could lead to opportunities. At least in sports that's been my experience, teams know who's there to work and are serious about doing sports photography and who's there to hang out in the press room and scarf down the freebies.

Sharon
Photo Comments
12 years 2 days ago #220191 by ShutterGuy

Rob pix4u2 wrote: I've been an IFPO member since 1993 and yes the credentials do help to gain access and assignments. The one time membership fee is worth it as it helped me get started in sports photography.. If you have any specific questions send me a PM and I will try and answer as best I can

Do you get a photo ID card that shows how long you have been a member?

Photo Comments
12 years 2 days ago - 12 years 2 days ago #220211 by icepics
This may have been a legitimate organization but seems to have gotten into some deceptive practices, they also claim to be AI Press (American Image Press) which doesn't actually seem to exist.

www.sportsshooter.com/message_display.html?tid=8022

Sharon
Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024